Gud Ole Americans

f0xm4n

Roosevelt was dead when the bombs were dropped. It was Truman who ordered the dropping of the A bombs

But Sid is right. The atom bombs ended a war that could have dragged on for decades. Imagine the horrific losses if the Americans had had to keep fighting the Japanese from island to island. A lot more than 280,000 people would have died, thats for sure

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quoted for truth

The estimate for the initial assault on the Japanese mainland was said to be 5+million. Not including all the Allied POW's imprisoned in Japanese territory that would have been executed due to standing orders that "if a single american boot touches the Japanese homeland, all prisoners are to be killed, their bodies burned, and all evidence of their imprisonment destroyed."

The A-bomb was the lesser of 2 evils unfortunately.

lol, If it was not for the backing of the tory party we would have never gone to Iraq

I have a PARTY?!?!?!?!?!

SWEET!

OT: I'm obviously American. But i don't like how people patronise events like this. It's not that i believe most Americans are stupidly patriotic, but that the stupidly patriotic are more prominent.

I have a PARTY?!?!?!?!?!

SWEET!

OT: I'm obviously American. But i don't like how people patronise events like this. It's not that i believe most Americans are stupidly patriotic, but that the stupidly patriotic are more prominent.

Bandwagon Patriot Since 9-11-2001!!

USAUSAROX0R5!!!11!

Wewt!

(Meh.)

Meanwhile the REAL patriots are working diligently to protect the rights of their fellow citizens and to make American Democracy even more efficient.

Oh, just a little side note... Bush is now on his 50th trip to his ranch since he became president. 50th!!. He'll be gone for a whole month this time. Workin' hard, or hardly workin'... ;)

Edit: OMG!! I JUST found this: http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/05...asculinity.html

Oh the delicious irony...

Edit: OMG!!  I JUST found this: http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/05...asculinity.html

Oh the delicious irony...

The irony of that story: I had an SUV, that i pretty much destroyed. Where else? At Wargames. (crashed it, (slipped down a small drop off), ran it through thick tree patches, ripped apart the rear hatch trying to get the lock to work, oh, and used it as a test platform for fireworks.)

Also, while we're at it, Roosevelt didn't just drop the A-Bomb out of the blue. He gave the Japanes 7 days notice to surrender. They failed to do so.

Roosevelt also told them theat he'd drop an A bomb every 24 hours until Japan DID surrender.

Americans - no longer the dumbest here.

Good job, Hissing_Sid. I think you deserve a cookie. That's the first dead guy I ever knew who used a weapon of mass destruction.

The irony of that story: I had an SUV, that i pretty much destroyed. Where else? At Wargames. (crashed it, (slipped down a small drop off), ran it through thick tree patches, ripped apart the rear hatch trying to get the lock to work, oh, and used it as a test platform for fireworks.)

It's all gud. I drive one too. :D

Hold the compensation jokes puh-lease.

Americans - no longer the dumbest here.

Good job, Hissing_Sid. I think you deserve a cookie. That's the first dead guy I ever knew who used a weapon of mass destruction.

Oh noes!!! Brits can't name American presidents!!! We am teh dumbzorrss!!!

Just to show how smart you are, tell me who was Prime Minister of Britain before Tony Blair. And no searching for the answer. You're on your honour here.

:zorro:

Sure - it was John Major, and before that Maggie Thatcher.

And no, I didn't do an internet search. You even asked me an easy one.

You should have asked who followed Winston Churchill, and I'd have answered Atlee.

*Edit -Altee never took office - Atlee did...

:ph34r:

silly people for forgetting to read your history books...

the A bomb. Still a highly controversial decision (and justly so).

Truman ordered its dropping for two very distinct reasons.

1) the ending of the pacific war quickly, with no loss of life to US forces and limited loss of life to Japanese. Sure, this can be argued to have been done for the "right" reasons, but you also have to remember how unpopular truman would have become if, following the surrender of Italy and Germany in Europe, the US was left still plodding away in Japan- not many voters would have liked him that much.

2) Russia. The Soviet Union were already prepped to invade through China, push the Japanese off the chinese mainland, opening two fronts on the japanese, and forcing the japanese army to face a numerically FAR superior enemy that also, unlike the US would have the advantage of being able to use mainland China as its staging posts, allowing it to bring to bear full and constant warfare onto japanese soil without facing much of a threat itself.

Russia was also in talks with the Emperor regarding japans total surrender.

Truman knew this, and didn't want the Soviet Union to be so close to the US. The dropping of the a bombs, coincidentally, were timed just two days before the emperor was due to sign the surrender.

As such, Truman can make little claim to have been acting in the interests of US soldiers, as all he had to do was pull them back and wait for the red army to arrive.

He acted primarily with US long term policy in mind, and to show the russians a display of strength designed to panic them into backing away from US interests.

the people of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were both guinea pigs in his experiment. Thankfully it worked out (well, sort of- the dropping of the a bombs at this point panicked russia, certainly, but only into pursuing their own nuclear agenda, something which they probably would not have done for a great many years, thus delaying the COld War to the point where the US would simply have been economically and technologically so advanced of the USSR, that the Cold War would haven't had anywhere near as much of the impact that it did- it would have been the vastly militarily superior US saying "oh, you want some, do you? and the USSR saying, um, well, I think I left the stove on...".

realpolitiks for teh win, apparently...

BTW: Today, but 60 years ago, the atomic bomb was dropped over Hiroshima and killed 280,000 human beings.

The Hiroshima Detonation was actually August 6th, 1945...

On August 2nd, 1939, Albert Einstein wrote to Franklin Roosevelt about atomic energy research. Einstein urged the President to take immediate action...

• 4 weeks later...

I was reading some earlier posts (I'm too lazy to read 10 pages ^_^ ) and I gotta say something (probably already said, but hey)

You may have seen the stupid Americans out there, but please don't stereo type. Not all Americans are thick headed, and complete idiots (although there are quite a few out there). I'm not like that :D I know that Europe is a continent, not a country. And that Itily is it's own country. So now all Americans are like that.

I've met some British like that too, and Japanese, and Italian, and German, a lot of people. Some good, some...well..not so good. But lets all remember that there ARE good/smart people in every country :)

Ok, that sounded geeky, had to get that out.

Hmm.

American tourists < possibly the most ignorant people EVER.

1) One told me I was wrong and that because I lived in Hong Kong I lived in Japan. (Say that in Hong Kong and you would recieve glares so severe, that if looks could kill, would have splattered you halfway up the wall and left a sizeable portion of your spleen empaled upon the ceiling fan.)

2) Another asked me if we have the internet in Hong Kong.

3) I was asked wether I was a communist, the basis of which was that Hong Kong was now part of China (poste 1997).

I love staying at hotels sometimes, as you just need to get into a conversation with an American Tourist to have fun.

Did they have their cameras? And dressed all fancy and ######?

Yeah, I'm an American

Yeah, I travel around the world alot.

But damn, some Americans are just Fing ignorant - even when they're in the US.

I live in a City that has the general, well, well known 'mob' City. And I get randomly asked by people when I go other places "Are you in the mob"?

Well. Lets think about this for a moment, shall we people? Oh wait. Most American's dont think with their brains.

All well.

Cheers.

Did they have their cameras? And dressed all fancy and ######?

Yeah, I'm an American

Yeah, I travel around the world alot.

But damn, some Americans are just Fing ignorant - even when they're in the US.

I live in a City that has the general, well, well known 'mob' City. And I get randomly asked by people when I go other places "Are you in the mob"?

Well. Lets think about this for a moment, shall we people? Oh wait. Most American's dont think with their brains.

All well.

Cheers.

Yes actually, Cameras, huge shorts and Hawaian (sp?) Shirts.

I used to live in Chester. Chester is one of only 2 cities in the UK which still have walls around them from the time when they were Roman fortresses.

The walls are made of sandstone.

The walls are made of sandstone cos it is an abundant type of local stone.

We used to smash lumps of rocks in the local forest and pocket them. We'd then walk around on the city walls and, if we saw americans, we'd offer to chisel them a bit off the walls as a souveneir.

We'd then wait 5 minutes and then charge £5 for a lump of rock produced out of a pocket.

Why is it some of you dislike America so much?

I mean honestly...we're not all numb-nuts who dress squirrels up in ridiculous costumes...and we're not all stupid red-necks.

Hell, the UK has a few of problems as well yet you don't see us Americans pointing them out and laughing at them <_<

Archived