Navy SEAL Pictures/Discussion Pt.1

hippiehater44

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it's partially the lighting, as they dont look nearly that bad in the pictures where I'm wearing them. Some of them are dusted, some are old, some are new, and a few are Phantom. (I just got that canteen pouch that I ordered a few days after you recommended that ebay site to me. :P )

But the Rhodesian is real with OMGBLACKBUCKLES LOL.

More operator gear from the 1980's. The Mk79 Mod0, also referred to as Pencil Flares. This kit was issued to all US Navy aircrew as well as operators, consisting of a Mk31 projector and Mk80 flares. Later, the Navy issued the variable color Mk179 Mod0, which had the same projector, but came with red, green, and white color flares. Navy aircrew also carried two Mk13 day and night flares and/or Mk124 for signaling purposes.

mk79_1.jpg

mk79_2.jpg

Not bad at all mate. I think for me the main thing that lets it down is the different shades of "tan" all the pouches seem to have. Maybe it's just the lighting.

Why does the shade of tan matter? IMHO, when everything is exactly the same and clean it doesn't look as realistic. Different shades or some random krylon add to the look.

You've misunderstood what I'm saying. The replica pouches he has that are meant to be part of the same MLCS kit look to be a different colour. IE the M4 mag pouches look a different colour to the canteen. Pouches privately bought are obviously going to be a different colour. His pouches all look to be replica MLCS pouches and so in my eyes would look better if they were the same colour.

EDIT: I know what you are saying kipper but just, to me, the pouches don't look a different colour because they are old as they would have faded and got lighter, not darker which is what they look like to me.

You've misunderstood what I'm saying. The replica pouches he has that are meant to be part of the same MLCS kit look to be a different colour. IE the M4 mag pouches look a different colour to the canteen. Pouches privately bought are obviously going to be a different colour. His pouches all look to be replica MLCS pouches and so in my eyes would look better if they were the same colour.

EDIT: I know what you are saying kipper but just, to me, the pouches don't look a different colour because they are old as they would have faded and got lighter, not darker which is what they look like to me.

But even then you're looking at possible multiple kit runs - it's entirely possible (and likely) that guys will swap around pouches from different runs with differences in coloration, or even replace issued kit (which possibly failed, got traded, got 'lost,' etc.) with replacement pouches.

It's nitpicking for no good reason, as far as I can tell.

I agree 100%. Not that I was ever a SEAL, but I was in the Navy and the supply system being what it was at the time (early 90's) we were happy to get the kit we were supposed to have. New in the packing stuff was almost unheard of unless you purchased it yourself, or you got extremely lucky. Most of the time the SKs just gave you what they had laying around. I'm sure it's the same way in the Teams.

If it would please the powers that be, I can take another picture with better lighting. That was during sundown yesterday. And as I said, the canteen pouch is shiny new, the M4 mag pouches in the middle are old, the MBITR pouch and the M4 mag pouch on my chest are dusted, the SOF pouch is not, and that the 226 is in is a BH one. You can see the real color of the Rhodesian on the underside of the shoulder straps. The picture is definately distorted, because the top part of the straps has been dusted, but they aren't pink like in the picture. Yarr.

Not bad at all mate. I think for me the main thing that lets it down is the different shades of "tan" all the pouches seem to have. Maybe it's just the lighting.

Notice he said "for me".

I think it's perfectly fine if he nitpicks if it's a good enough reason for him. Just because we (including myself) don't care about pouches matching exactly, we've no right to criticize him for wanting them all to match. He's explained perfectly clearly the reason why he'd like all the pouches to match.

In fact, while I'll agree that most military won't have perfectly matching pouches, some of the fun as an airsofter is the hunt or the search for that perfect piece of gear that you'd like to complete your impression. I'd probably be doing the same as christhesecond if I had the same budget ;).

I do like the vest setup, btw, t3hdesertfox.

LBT 6094

l1mu4.jpg

l2je7.jpg

l3in8.jpg

l4ev9.jpg

l5lg9.jpg

l6in0.jpg

Kitlist

- LBT 6094

- Eagle MLCS M-4 Triple Magazine Pouch

- Eagle MLCS M4 Double Mag Pouch

- Eagle MLCS Radio Pouch/MBITR

- Eagle MLCS Utility Pouch

- Eagle MLCS Medic Pouch

- Eagle MLCS Single Smoke Grenade Pouch

- Eagle MLCS Pop Flare Pouch, Single Down

- Eagle MLCS Gas Mask Carrier

- G&P MAP

Extras

- TS SAPI

- VIP Light/Strobe

- Motorola SABER/ H-350

- Cyalume Safety Lightsticks

- BHI Carbiner with Monadnock Zipcuffs

- Sig Sauer P226

- Mich 2002 with ESS NVG

Some small things will be changed. Waiting for the arrival of my firstline.

LBT 6094

- Cyalume Safety Lightsticks

Some small things will be changed. Waiting for the arrival of my firstline.

Cool vest. I just PM'd PlasticMag of an old chem light joke we used to do...

Anyhow...do they really carry their light's exposed like that? Way back when, we occasionally used them at night as improvised anti-collision lights for objects on deck that, for whatever reason, didn't have lights. We would sometimes use a ton of reflective tape all over things as well (helmets, jackets, etc...) to avoid getting run over by things that could kill you.

Whatever.

Archived