My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today's rant: *suitcase* markings on things

When faced with the choice of taking the time to put really bad, tacky markings on things, or just leaving it well alone, why is it that the Chinese can't just leave it plain?

The item in question is a laser sight. They've elected to engrave "laser scope" down the side of it, and "armed forces" around the bezel.

Seriously?

Least its not Mikhail Kalishnakov's face. But agreed.

Are you *SURE* that's what it says? Do you actually read Chinese?

Mate, I've worked on lots of Chinese ships crewed by chinese people. I know exactly what it says.  

Plus, being left handed (a sign of demonic possession in certain chinese myths) plus being white (the uneducated peasant masses literally think we are the devil)  makes me a pretty terrifying prospect when I'm stood on the bridge, writing reports out.  

One time, an old A/B stopped chain smoking for a minute (its pretty much their primary hobby), grabbed my forearm, yelled something in Mandarin, (that I later discovered meant "angry god") and ran from the bridge.

I lol'd.

Darkchild

I know of a young soldier who had 'Swift and Bold' tattoo'd across his upper back.

He had it done in training thinking it was the Army motto. It isn't, it's the Rifles.

He's a gunner, and joined to be a gunner.

Oh dear..

I can't read Mandarin or Cantonese, or any of the other dialects they speak in China (there is no "Chinese" language), but I'm not dumb enough to indelibly mark my body with something before researching what it means.

That's good. Many people, however, don't seem to take such an obvious precaution.

No offense was intended by my original question, nor any subsequent response. 

I know of a young soldier who had 'Swift and Bold' tattoo'd across his upper back.

He had it done in training thinking it was the Army motto. It isn't, it's the Rifles.

He's a gunner, and joined to be a gunner.

It's the Green Jacket's motto, the poxy Rifles just inherited it from us (I was in both, unfortunately)

lolololol we had a dude that had "Utrinque Paratus" tattooed on his forearm, but then broke his ankles in parachute training.  He got a steady amount of *suitcase* for years.

We also had a group of guys in Canada who had 2 RGJ tattooed on their necks, but the 2 was in Roman numerals, and the tattoo was so stylised that it looked like a little box, over the word "ROJ"

They became known as the "BOX ROJ" boys.

Darkchild

Archived