My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everybody dies Tink.

It's the only thing you can rely on people to do.

He was a good actor, he entertained us but we didn't know him.

Celebrity deaths are sad because they remind us of our own mortality, these are our childhood heroes.

They were adults when we were young and now their head start on us means they will all die.

Then we will too.

Perhaps mankind will develop a way to prolong life long enough that people will choose the time of their death but probably not soon enough for us to benefit from it.

That's the sad part.

John Hurt was an actor who always put in a performance. No matter what he was in, or asked to do. Starred in one of the most creepy short stories ever (unfortunately the name of it escapes me now). He (John Hurt) and Pete Postlethwaite (sorry, really can't remember how to spell his name) were actors who always put in a solid performance.

For me, it is just when someone passes away suddenly that impacted me in some way, I just start down my depression thinking pattern of "why the *fruitcage* am I still breathing instead of him/her?"

Most folks would say in response "Go live a fulfilling life then to make their impact on you worthwhile."  That just does not work for me though.

For me, it is just when someone passes away suddenly that impacted me in some way, I just start down my depression thinking pattern of "why the *fruitcage* am I still breathing instead of him/her?"

Most folks would say in response "Go live a fulfilling life then to make their impact on you worthwhile."  That just does not work for me though.

Sometimes it's easier to fill the void with distraction, then ever doing anything fulfilling. To be honest, there's not much to fulfill in an average life.

What?

Of course there is.

There's a thousand things you can do that will make the quality of life of others better.

Depending on your personal ethos you could be a foster parent, a fire fighter, a soldier, a police officer, a teacher, a nurse, paramedic or doctor, a community volunteer, a scout leader or coach for children's sports or help out at a soup kitchen.

Even if you don't want to do a fulfilling job and you want to make good money you could still use your spare time for fulfilment.  Basically any hobby can be turned into a way of raising money for charity or awareness of a problem.

I like cycling, I could cycle all the way around Britain to raise money, I like SCUBA, I can travel to exotic locations to assist marine biologists studying reefs.

Even if you are a complete nihilist and you check out of society all together you can use your spare time to brutally murder paedophiles until you are caught.

No matter who you are or where you are there is something you can do to make the world a better place.

Identify a problem, make a plan, execute.

One of my favourite sayings is 'missing the woods for the trees'

Every time I go home I look over the fields and into / at the woods. From a distance it seems like an inpenetrable, solid mass when of course as you get closer you see it is made up of 1000's of trunks and branches.

Spend your life looking for things ('fulfilment') means that your focus will narrow and you will miss other stuff...

We will only be 'fulfilled' when we die imo

Depends on your definition of fulfilment and your personal standards.

Some people are driven to live their entire lives for the benefit of others (Mother Theresa) and fell satisfaction on their death bed others will feel fulfilled if they have an iPhone 7.

It is easy for me to be happy because I have a beautiful natural gift.

I don't give even the slightest hint of a *fruitcage* what people think of me.  I don't like most people and I don't care if they know it.

It makes my life super simple.

I know it is harder for some people but happiness is a selfish thing.  Some people find that helping others makes them happy and mistake that for generosity or selflessness.

Nope.

You are doing the thing that makes you happy, it just happens that it makes others happy.

Generosity is making yourself miserable doing things that make others happy.  It is also stupid.

Think of it like sex, some people get off on pain, others get off inflicting pain.  When they are together they are both selfishly happy.

Switch their roles and they are both miserable.

Happiness is the same.  Do what makes you happy, if the people around you don't like that, be around different people.

Well, I don't care what people think of me, either. Constantly having to clean up mine and others mess has kept me from having a fulfilling life.

Other than my mother, my family and people I work with are idiots. And when you are just trying to survive paycheck to paycheck, that's what I have to put up with.

Doing what makes me happy(airsoft)cost money I don't have.

Some people are driven to live their entire lives for the benefit of others (Mother Theresa) and fell satisfaction on their death bed...

Except that's the exact opposite of what Mother Theresa actually did. That witch had some of the best PR ever, her name is a byword for selfless compassion when nothing could be further from the truth. She and her organisation horded millions of pounds worth of donations (much still unaccounted for) while the conditions of her 'hospitals' were appalling. Patients were denied all but the most basic care and pain relief because she believed "suffering brought people closer to god" or some such . Yet when she herself was ill, she didn't hesitate to get herself world-class treatment in the USA.

If there was any justice in the world, she'd be demonised rather than canonised...

Few people are - for obvious reasons the church doesn't publicise it.

She wasn't a friend to the poor, but of poverty, quoted as saying, "I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - How is such an attitude anything but reprehensible? And this is someone made a Saint barely ten years after her death?

See this article from 2003 for more, or look up "Hell's Angel" by Christopher Hitchens.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/fighting_words/2003/10/mommie_dearest.html

TIL Mother Teresa was an *albartroth*.

Also.  Speed bumps.  I hate the *fruitcage*ers.  Some may argue they have their place but in central London?  I *fruitcage* think not.  Completely unnecessary seeing as we're already going slow as *suitcase*. 

If there was any justice in the world, she'd be demonised rather than canonised...

I will spread that far and wide.

Speed bumps should be banned.

They turn a single speed cruise into a series of sharp acceleration and braking events which (in turn) increases noise and atmospheric pollution.

There's a road near me with a 20MPH limit.  I'm perfectly happy to cruise down there at 20MPH.  However it is peppered with these really nasty, brick shaped stone edged speed bumps which force you go over them at 10MPH unless you enjoy giving your tyres, wheels, suspension e.t.c. a good kicking.

Yet another example of penalising everyone for the reckless actions of a few criminals.

As if joy riders care about speed bumps anyway - if they damage the car they stole, they're not the slightest bit concerned.

They would be because now they got to steal a whole new car, or walk. Ever try to hot wire a modern car? And finding a car with it's keys in it is pure chance lol

No one like curb rash and chipped bumpers, especially car thieves. Gotta keep up the apperiences.

Archived