My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody 'needs' a car.

Many many people have them in order to not work jobs they hate and travel more than 10 miles from home.

I personally want to own a car with an engine capacity that starts with a number greater than 3 at one point, and ideal end game for the corrado is north of 250bhp.

Nobody 'needs' a car.

Sorry, but that's simply not true.

Without a car, many people would simply be trapped in their houses. Not everyone is able to 'just walk there'; not everyone can afford a taxi for every journey and not everyone can get the bus without spending the following month in hospital with pneumonia because some disease-ridden swine never learned to cover their mouth when they cough.

Such people barely go out as it is, as they're simply not able to, but on the rare occasions they *are* able to, having access to their own car is the only thing that enables them to do so.

Na.  I think he'd tell them as he was taking it.  A bit like when police commandeer a vehicle.  It's not 'can I take this?' It's 'I'm taking this FYI'

Actually, are police allowed to actually do that or is it a film/TV thing?  Seems unrealistic to me.

If they cared about the environment, they would ban the import of diesel and petrol engines more than 1.4L for civilian/leisure/day to day use.

In a car you don't need more.

Though I'm not saying they should do that...

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Now that's a load of bull. Subsidies for electric vehicles are the reasonable way to do it.

Some folks already found out that Teslas have one hell of an acceleration. When they went through their garage door while it was still closed.

Also, I need a *fruitcage* drink or five, this week at work was *fruitcage* lunacy.

Electric cars with zero tax annoy me. I'd allow it if once they were bought, they were just stored somewhere.  On a drive, in a garage, in a warehouse e.t.c. But no, they're out there, using the roads, adding to tarmac wear, traffic, accidents,  just like any other car along with sucking electricity from the grid.

Electric cars aren't there yet, sorry.

300km range for €28.000 min? Good for a 'around the village' car.

And just like every subsidiary, it only helps the people who already have the money. So poor folk driving around a 20-30 year old car and are quite in need of a new one can't pay for one.

Ugh. Sad agai

N

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Electric cars with zero tax annoy me. I'd allow it if once they were bought, they were just stored somewhere. On a drive, in a garage, in a warehouse e.t.c. But no, they're out there, using the roads, adding to tarmac wear, traffic, accidents, just like any other car along with sucking electricity from the grid.

That's why road tax was scrapped, so people couldn't claim they had more right to use the roads than anyone else.

What you pay now is vehicle exist duty.

Na. I think he'd tell them as he was taking it. A bit like when police commandeer a vehicle. It's not 'can I take this?' It's 'I'm taking this FYI'

Actually, are police allowed to actually do that or is it a film/TV thing? Seems unrealistic to me.

IIRC Bizarre magazine answered this year's ago. In the USA yes (this might depend on the state) but in the UK no

That's what happens when you appoint someone as head of urban planning that has no idea what their doing with zero experience.  A bit like what's going to happen to the US soon.

It's the same in schools. Often, the heads of departments at primary schools at least often have no idea about their specialty.  Imagine turning up for your regular work and then being told you'll also be head of H&S at a nuclear power station.

Electric cars with zero tax annoy me. I'd allow it if once they were bought, they were just stored somewhere.  On a drive, in a garage, in a warehouse e.t.c. But no, they're out there, using the roads, adding to tarmac wear, traffic, accidents,  just like any other car along with sucking electricity from the grid.

See below.

That's why road tax was scrapped, so people couldn't claim they had more right to use the roads than anyone else.

What you pay now is vehicle exist duty.

Nearly.

Vehicle Excise Duty or VED often incorrectly referred to as road tax.

It is a tax on local CO2 emissions.

There is therefore no tax on electric vehicles because no local CO2 emissions.

Other things that are zero rated:

Bicycles

Vehicles with low enough emissions

The Queen's vehicles

Army vehicles

The stuff you were talking about, road wear etc. is all paid for from the general tax pool just like it has been since 1936.

As a cyclist this is a touchy subject to me.

You don't pay for the roads with your VED, you pay for your pollution.

I pay just as much into the road maintenance budget as you.

Archived