1911 Picture Thread

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did I not just say? I was not stating that there was difficulty to be had when replacing the grips with RS ones, I said I never experienced any trouble with the weight being off.

Perhaps your being a bit too finicky.

Or, as I said, just try installing steel chamber and barrel. If you still feel the weight is off when the mag is in, buy an extended mag to add more weight to the rear..

I have rs kimber grips and the grip is firm.. especially considering the front and rear of the frame is textured for that very purpose

Oh, and the steel metal kit is 700 odd dollars.. as is the Bob Chow kit Mathub, its on Yahoo Japan :S

hbc.

did I not just say? I was not stating that there was difficulty to be had when replacing the grips with RS ones, I said I never experienced any trouble with the weight being off.

Perhaps your being a bit too finicky.

Or, as I said, just try installing steel chamber and barrel. If you still feel the weight is off  when the mag is in, buy an extended mag to add more weight to the rear..

I have rs kimber grips and the grip is firm.. especially considering the front and rear of the frame is textured for that very purpose

Oh, and the steel metal kit is 700 odd dollars.. as is the Bob Chow kit Mathub, its on Yahoo Japan :S

hbc.

Your initial response sounded to me like you were suggesting some sort of difficulty when using real steel grips, hence why I made the clarification. If you had simply said that the loss of weight didn't bother you, that would have been much clearer. I was simply trying to clarify.

As for me being finicky, I already said that I was. I thought I made that clear. I readily admit to that, but in the pursuit of realism from a collector standpoint, would you not say spending the same cost as purching a REAL firearm, simply for a steel kit for an airsoft gun would also be 'finicky'? :P

Everyone handles a firearm differently, and will prefer a certain configuration for optimal 'feel'. If this wasn't true, why make the myriad of grips available today? Just because the grip feels good to you, doesn't mean that the next person will feel the same way. In my own case, the grips look better than they feel or function for me. This is an opinion shared among many of my gun owning friends who use Kimbers, and have used various grips. It's really just a matter of personal taste honestly. Use what feels best to you.

Again, as I said earlier, while I may be 'finicky', I most certainly am not particular enough to consider a small weight issue warrant enough to spend the equivalent of the purchase price of 1 or 2 real firearms just to make an uber-realistic airsoft pistol. I like my toys, but there are limits.

Obviously HBC is not as "finicky" as you (un)cooldude...If he was he wouldnt have those "standard" RS Kimber Grips on his $1000 Raptor. I dont know how HBC can live with himself and those non-Raptor Kimber grips. Common HBC, Im sure if you use another student loan you could get your hands on some RS Raptor grips! Edited by ViciousV10s

blimey. its not like I was telling you to go out and buy a steel kit, I wouldnt spend that much money in a million years just for a metal kit..

granted my Raptor has cost me 1000 dollars or around that, but its more than just a metal kit ;) You really have put too much weight (watch it) on my statement.

It was simply a way of saying.. do what you want, Ive suggested weighting the centre of the gun, Ive suggested buying an extended mag for more weight to the rear of the gun.. as it is, you prefer the grip and weight of the original WA grips so why not replace them and sell your kimber grips. that is all.

Oh, and viscious, believe me, I've tried, the one place that had them 'on order' (midwayusa) now doesnt list them, Kimber dont reply to emails, and they dont even sell the grips in their custom shop. I'd be happy if some friendly American could scour gunshops for me, but I'm afraid I dont have that ability, I'll just have to console myself to my next project, a Kimber Eclipse methinks. :D

hbc.

.. as it is, you prefer the grip and weight of the original WA grips so why not replace them and sell your kimber grips. that is all.

See, the thing is, I was just trying to get a general consensus on how other WA owners felt about the weight issue when dealing with grip replacement. I was curious to see if anyone had done anything to deal with it, that felt the same way I did about trying to replace the weight in the gun after putting on super-light real steel grips. My questions weren't posed as a "What should I do?", but rather a query to see how others felt about the situation.

Since I have both the original grips, as well as the Kimbers, I'm free to do whatever strikes my fancy. I just wanted to see if anyone knew of an inexpensive solution to add weight back into the gun, if I wanted to switch in real steel grips on occasion, to change the flavor of the gun a bit. FYI, I do plan on adding steel chambers to the guns later, so that will help marginally, but in the end, I'd really like to come up with something to weight the frame of the gun a wee bit more to make up for the original grip weight loss. :P

I'd be happy if some friendly American could scour gunshops for me, but I'm afraid I dont have that ability, I'll just have to console myself to my next project, a Kimber Eclipse methinks. :D

Oh, and BTW, I'll keep my eyes open for the Raptor grips for you. I have a couple of friends that are VERY into the 1911's, one of which used to work for Wilson Combat, so I may be able to help you out there. :)

Oh, and BTW, I'll keep my eyes open for the Raptor grips for you. I have a couple of friends that are VERY into the 1911's, one of which used to work for Wilson Combat, so I may be able to help you out there. :)

Heh, cheers dude..

I reckon if you use the gun for a longer time with the unweighted grips you'll get used to it.. I cant stand stock grips any more, Ive already ordered some hogue wraparound grips for my soon to arrive chrome desert eagle, as I hate the plastic grips for it (even though they are supposedly similar to RS stock DE grips..

cheers, hbc.

In which case, to answer uncooldude's question,

Goes without saying that I want to swap out the grips on my Wilson... being cast metal they are ugly, uncomfortable, and cold. Don't really care about the weight (which is considerable and gives the gun a nice hefty feel) I just want to get rid of them asap ;)

Short of adding the plates to the hole in the frame and adding heavier parts, theres not much that can be done to add weight. I did toy with the idea of hollowing out some wood grips with a dremel or something to fit the weights in. But cut away just a tiny bit too much and you will be through to the other side, ruining a perfectly good grip. It could be done on a CNC machine with more success but all my attempts failed with test grips, maybe because they were quite basic machines. I might have another go with some better machines.

I was just thinking, cast iron plates might add enough weight, without resorting to lead. Heh.

I think if you clamped the grip into a drill press, and used that the hollow out the grip, you would have a smaller margin for error. However, I'm trying to come up with a solution that won't require doing that much work to a set of grips. I'm hoping that I can find a good metal plate solution for the holes in the frame. I'll of course report any findings.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone!

Right, final (I hope) question from me... sorry to pester you guys but I don't really want to risk a £200 paperweight (and searching for "Western Arms," and/or "Slide" weren't really that productive)

So, can anyone point me in the direction of a WA slide disassembly guide? Basically looking for removal of blowback unit (i.e can you just lever it straight off, or is there anything you need to watch out for) and front sight (just a good tug with a pair of pliers?).

Ordinarily I would just find out for myself, but I tend to break more things that way.

Blowback unit should just lever out, not that hard you don't need to spread the slide much to get the blowback unit out.

You need to sort of lift it and bring it forward a bit to get it out.

If it's a 1911A1 style front sight then it is held in with one peg and should just pull out with a tug from some pliers.

He's from the UK, hence the whole orange tip thing is void to his question.

I think that was more in reference to this post....

Got these today... Still need to get some new grips and paint the tips.

On another note I got my Threaded barrells from X-fire, I can confirm that they will fit the Guarder chambers, the SD chambers and the stock WA chambers. Look real nice and with the removal of the threaded adapter in the end it turns it back to stock looking.

I also got my Fancy Cocobola Colt grips from the US in yesterday.... Oh My they are gorgeous!

Picks to come later of the almost finished item.... Still waiting for a flat main spring housing and also to get a black metal chamber that fits the rest of my parts..... I've ended up with almost enough spare WA / 3rd Party parts to last a lifetime :rolleyes:

I'm also looking at silencers right now, I've fitted my prime Sig P226 for now but think it looks a bit long, see what you guy's think when I post the pictures later on.

If anyone is looking for a threaded barrell for a WA .45 in the UK then you can take one of the spares I have.... I ordered 4.... I only have one 5" Colt for them to go on.... :blush: (well till i get another WA .45 in the very near future) So I have 2 spares. Will sell for original cost plus postage and packing.

PM with interest