Red Dot Helmet mounted HUD

Night_raven

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok I see I'm not the only one who is serevely confused by this. So from what DocV400 said, "it tells you where your helmet is pointing." So what good does that do exactly eheh? I'm not making fun of the device, but isn't it like installing something that tells you where your eyes are looking? hehehe which is, well, kind of pointless.

I think using an Ultra-violet laser and a special UV filter on the HUD would make it much more useful, but of course as Pendra pointed out, it's going to be dangerous to other players.

I think it's help if we knew what you are 'aiming' to achieve with this.

If it's just a "future soldier" funkyfied look you're after then great, hope it works, but I don't think any of us passers by can tell how that helps aquire targets when it appears there is absolutely no connection to where you are pointing the gun.

This dot would tell you where your head is pointing.

Nail hit on the head.

Your invention does nothing unless attached to the gun - so, as it's all cosmetic - why use an expensive RDS? Why not just use some 20mm black pipe with gubbins attached?

CC

As has been said, this doesn't make you any faster or more accurate. Something I was thinking about a while back was a micro-cam on my iron sights that feeds onto a monacle so at all times i can see where my gun's pointed. This means that (in theory) I'd be able to snipe from the hip or even snipe in one direction while looking in another. That'd be cool! But it's still expensive and pointless with the blind-fire rule.

If you're determined to do something to your vision but not your gun, I would suggest either zoom or infra-red vision for seeing people BEFORE they come round a corner and when they are well hidden. VERY USEFUL!!!

Up to you.

It would only be cool for a non practical future soldier kit prop. But as others have said before, find a way to concentrate the beam on an infra-red light, and mount it on your gun. Zero this beam to where your shooting, and make it so the HUD could detect this light.

As has been said, this doesn't make you any faster or more accurate. Something I was thinking about a while back was a micro-cam on my iron sights that feeds onto a monacle so at all times i can see where my gun's pointed. This means that (in theory) I'd be able to snipe from the hip or even snipe in one direction while looking in another. That'd be cool! But it's still expensive and pointless with the blind-fire rule.

If you're determined to do something to your vision but not your gun, I would suggest either zoom or infra-red vision for seeing people BEFORE they come round a corner and when they are well hidden. VERY USEFUL!!!

Up to you.

Yeah, I was thinking a little RIS mounted camera you could zoom in and out easily and a tiny 1 inch (~ 3 cm I think...) flip down screen off of your helmet.

that would OWN! :D

Runner, it wont do any good. I tried my home made helmet mounted display with a camera attached to the gun. The viewfinder was connected to the camera with a simple LAN cable :D. I found it pretty useless thou. I had to choose which one eye I want to use. I either focused on distant objects or on the mounted display. Both didn't work at the same time. Plus it took more than a sec to refocus my eye. If you focus on the display the rest of the world will look like a blury green mass. Moving around while seeing in the display is risky (I walked right into a wall corner). The limited field of view is awfull. It is possible that an enemy pops up in your front left and you will not notice. With a retd dot, if you notice an enemy you would shoulder your gun, aim and fire. With this display you see the enemy, refocus your eye, find the enemy in the viewfinder, aim, fire. It takes way more time then than using a red dot. A red dot is more effective in combat.

I have a simple idea that would create a true aiming help, like in he movie Robocop. To achieve this I need to have an expert in small and simple radio transmitter/receiver building.

I think I understand what night raven is getting at here, I'll try and explain it as good as I can -

Imagine an aeg with a red-dot on a 20mm rail above the rifle. Some aeg's make it hard to aquire targets on the red-dot, since there is not enough room for the users head to look through the reticle properly.

What I assume night raven is suggesting is to have the red-dot attached to your helmet instead of the aeg, so it covers your 'aiming eye'. This makes it easier to aquire targets when shouldering the rifle, and I assume that the 'HUD' will be used in conjunction with the rifles' iron sights, making target aquirisation a breeze.

Is this correct Night raven?

Runner, it wont do any good. I tried my home made helmet mounted display with a camera attached to the gun. The viewfinder was connected to the camera with a simple LAN cable :D. I found it pretty useless thou. I had to choose which one eye I want to use. I either focused on distant objects or on the mounted display. Both didn't work at the same time. Plus it took more than a sec to refocus my eye. If you focus on the display the rest of the world will look like a blury green mass. Moving around while seeing in the display is risky (I walked right into a wall corner). The limited field of view is awfull. It is possible that an enemy pops up in your front left and you will not notice. With a retd dot, if you notice an enemy you would shoulder your gun, aim and fire. With this display you see the enemy, refocus your eye, find the enemy in the viewfinder, aim, fire. It takes way more time then than using a red dot. A red dot is more effective in combat.

I have a simple idea that would create a true aiming help, like in he movie Robocop. To achieve this I need to have an expert in small and simple radio transmitter/receiver building.

Poop :( Oh well, it sounded good at the time

I might try it anyway in a few years if I have an old videocamera lying around, it could be fun :P

Ok ok cause N_R isnt going to get to the point i'll tell you's.

Its designed to be used in conjunction with the iron sights, its also going to be designed so it eliminates the need for rails and if you dont need to use it, you can flick it out the way and use it at a later time.

but to those saying "it's used in conjunction with the iron sights..." that would require you to line up the "red dot which tells you where you are looking" with the the back iron sight with the front iron sight. Now, how does that make things faster?

You still are aiming with the iron sight. Why, then, don't you just use the iron sights, line up 2 spots vs 3 (with the HUD red dot)?

I mean you still need to pick up the gun and aim down the gun even with the HUD, I still don't see how it would be actually useful besides a purely cosmetic thing...

but to those saying "it's used in conjunction with the iron sights..." that would require you to line up the "red dot which tells you where you are looking" with the the back iron sight with the front iron sight. Now, how does that make things faster?

You still are aiming with the iron sight. Why, then, don't you just use the iron sights, line up 2 spots vs 3 (with the HUD red dot)?

I mean you still need to pick up the gun and aim down the gun even with the HUD, I still don't see how it would be actually useful besides a purely cosmetic thing...

But what about those with flat top recievers?

I think I understand what night raven is getting at here, I'll try and explain it as good as I can -

Imagine an aeg with a red-dot on a 20mm rail above the rifle. Some aeg's make it hard to aquire targets on the red-dot, since there is not enough room for the users head to look through the reticle properly.

What I assume night raven is suggesting is to have the red-dot attached to your helmet instead of the aeg, so it covers your 'aiming eye'. This makes it easier to aquire targets when shouldering the rifle, and I assume that the 'HUD' will be used in conjunction with the rifles' iron sights, making target aquirisation a breeze.

That is correct. :)

That's the idea.

Although the closet thing i can think of it being too would be the Apache Longbow system, .. pilot looks in direction of target and the gun swivels with him.

If that makes any sense.

It would only be cosmetic just because youve got a little red dot on your visor dosent mean the bb's will go in that direction.

red dots and scopes have to be zeroed in to make them accurate, you cant zero your head permanently.

the only thing that would work is either attatch the gun to the helmt and even then it wouldnt be very accurate or fit a camera to the gun and have the screen on the visor (you would probably end up walking into low branches though while the gun is by your side).

BUT THEN YOU STILL NEED TO USE THE IRON SIGHTS, AS THE RDS ON YOUR FACE IS NOT IN ANY WAY ATTACHED TO THE GUN.

Hence it's a waste of time, as now all you are doing is using the iron sights with a big red dot in the centre of your vision.

First of all, you talk about red dot sights being positioned in ways they're hard to see through. Iron sights are even lower and have a closer profile to the barrel, so this system wouldn't make any real difference, except you have to make room for a red dot in the way of your rear sight.

The other systems you described have cameras which allow the user to view through a scope mounted on the weapons system themselves. A red dot is not a camera so it wouldn't work. The system you're desribing is commonly referred to as a HUD or Smartlink System, and uses cameras not red dots.

Ok, there are obviously 2 groups of people in this thread: A group that understands that according to the way the original poster wants to construct it, it does nothing to help/assist/speed up aiming, and that the HUD is completely for looks. Then there is a group that for some reason still thinks that it can actually work. I don't know how to explain it anymore clearly to the second group that, according to the original poster's design, it won't help you in anyway. :(

So I drew this up:

It's pretty self-explanatory, Red line is fire line, blue is sight line. Everything is exaggerated to make a point. Note that in the "HUD and front sight only" shooting diagram, the gun can be off in a lot of ways, not just tilting up. And that if you use the HUD and the iron sights, it is EXACTLY THE SAME as iron sights only. It won't be any fast since the gun needs to be brought to eye level in both cases.

Images courtesy of redwolfairsoft, retailer of fine airsoft products. :P

Archived