Police visit

gunlady

I haven't posted here for a long time and hadn't intended to again for reasons I won't go into now. But this message could concern us all so I felt I should swallow my pride and let you all know.

Hi all

It might interest you to know that I have just had three policemen in here to check my gun collection.

I have about 118 with a mix of airsoft replicas and air guns. All are legal and below the FAC requirements. The airsoft, being harmless, are on wall boards or a rifle rack, so are visible if anybody comes into the house or puts their head in through the window... read on....

It started when I reported some youths for trying to steal a book off our sideboard which is in front of a window. Unfortunately the window leads onto a public grassed area and these kids simply stuck there heads through and then saw my gun wall boards and asked if they could hold some. I said no and one promptly grabbed a book which I grabbed back.

The community policeman came and saw the guns and has called in the firearms team. But I was vindicated. In the event they want me to either wire them or put covers over the boards. I can to the wiring but I'm not fit enough now to start doing cabinet building or even converting.

And all this because some little sh*** stuck his head through the window.

They say that if they stole one and showed in public the armed unit could shoot them. I pointed out that firstly they would need to break in, which is an offence, then steal something which is also an offence and then take it onto a public place, also an offence, and that they were trying to blame me for it.

It isn't my concern, none of these need a licence to keep and none are lethal, well, the air guns are I suppose, but they're not on the boards.

So it looks as if I will have to wire them now, a -swearword- nuisance but I will have to keep the police happy I suppose. I used to have a thin steel wire that could be crimped to form loops that was for model sailing yachts, so that may be a way out. It's unobtrusive, I'll just have to buy some cheap padlocks...

I believe I have solved this with model yacht rigging wire which is both very strong and very thin, is stainless steel so cannot be broken or cut with scissors. Obtainable from Sailsetc in essex.

What is really needed is better protection from people accessing the land behind the flats (we are on the ground floor) so that they can't just walk right up to our window and look in if the fancy takes them. A ten foot length of fence put up by the Council would would stop it completely.

A typical over-reaction by the police! So now I have to spend money to stop a theoretical burglary! This actually came about because we complained about the ability of kids to put their heads right into our sitting room and the over-reaction of one of our Community Police officers who couldn't tell the differennce even when holding one of the rifles. It may be noted that he didn't even examine the gun to verify my statement that it was an air electric gun, he just went away and called in the Firearms Control Ofiicer. He, fortunately, was more sensible, but waffled on quite a bit about incidents with shot guns. I pointed out that these weren't shot guns nor firearms, they didn't need a licence and were perfectly legal. He had to agree.

Gunlady

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ouch, that is pretty unfortunate.

What I would try is to put up curtains, or any blinds so that they can't look at them, and if you have an alarm system, it wouldn't be too bad. In fact, get an alarm system, it'll be pretty useful. (If you want to get it or if it's possible) So that if they some how break in, they will be easier to catch than without an alarm sounding.

Just my suggestion.

Sorry to hear of your experience.

It's a shame that the standard response of the Police seems to be heavy handed - Sounds horribly like policy to me...

Cheers.

At least they take reports on guns seriously. Making you wire them up is a bunch of :cheese: though. It is your house. You should put up a screen in front of your window.

You don't legally have to wire or cover them. The police can disapprove all they want, but the law is on your side. You've done nothing wrong in terms of ownership and storage of your collection.

You say you "have to keep the police happy", but will they be happy ever about you having such an impressive collection? Possible, but unlikely.

You're completely legal, so they have no choice on the matter. If they're not happy thats down to the officer in questions personal opinion on the subject. They're in no legal position to demand anything from you.

On one side, I suppose, it will please them a little, but on the other side I prefer to stand up for my legal rights. The police have to follow the law "word for word" as well... they don't get to make it up as they go along.

Being a probable future Police Officer myself, I'd like to say one thing: Don't judge ALL Police Officers due to one over reacting. I'm sick and tired of people saying Police are bad because they have seen ONE (maybe two, if they want to be "sure") lousy Officer.

I've had a few run-in's with the British on other forums, yet I feel fine coming here and posting with you guys, even though this forum is predominantly British (considering it is based in the UK lol). So don't take this ONE man's experience and say that all Police hate airsoft and all that. I know a Police Officer who actually owns an online airsoft store. I also know several who play airsoft, and when I took my airsoft gun to a gun show one time (in order to fit it for accessories), they Police Officers in charge of checking the weapons in were all very interested in it and liked it. I've even read of some Officer units using them to train.

So don't judge everyone by one misshap. I agree that this was a bit rediculous, but I know people will come here and go straight to their "down with Police Officers!" chant. I wish to stop that somewhat before it starts.

You did just hear the amount of 'display' items that she was describing?

You would need to make one room a gun safe, and not just a 5 item storage area.

Gunlady.. on a lighter note... Pics? :P

Oh well. I have to admit that I don't even know our countries LAW on the issue that you have raised, I know the cops would like them all non-visible in the house, away from kids (yadda yadda yadda)

.........but I know people will come here and go straight to their "down with Police Officers!" chant.  I wish to stop that somewhat before it starts.

Agreed. I'm debating joining myself once I can send little ones to nursery and stop being a house husband. I think the point is that an officer is sworn to uphold the law, even if he/she doesn't agree it. These officers that visited Gunlady obviously don't care for her collection, but they're duty bound to uphold the law and therefore shouldn't be making Gunlady "jump through hoops" to keep them happy.

You have absolutely no reason whatsoever to wire up your collection of HARMLESS airsoft guns. If a copper (ARU or not) told me to do something like that I'd tell him/her to politely go take a flying *swear word*. Their argument for you do do that is flawed simply for the very reasons you have already mentioned.

Not so long ago I had a Police Officer advise me to remove a small black plastic case (one of those cheap DIY drill things) from my window sill at the back of the house, as if someone saw it they might try and steal it. My house is on a slight hill so I pointed out to the Officer that the rear window in question is raised approximately 20ft above street level (ie the small private parking area round back) and not to mention there is a bloody great big bush in between and brick/wood fence running around the house.

What next, remove my widescreen TV from the corner of the living room as it is situated next to the front living room window (incidently the living room is about 6-10 below a public path in the estate) and might tempt passers by to a bit of "smash n grab"?

Perhaps they'd like everyone to put all of their valuables in an air tight solid steel safe room and leave all the other rooms completey bare......................?

Utter tosh!

I suppose the point with the officer asking you to wire up/contain your collection in an obvious way is to do with the fact you have snot-noses sticking their head in your window and who're perfectly happy to try to thieve your property even with you standing right in front of them.

As such, all things considered, I'd consider it prudent to do this, especially now the little darlings know what you've got. Sure, it shouldn't be your responsibility, but thats working on the idea that the kids who roam around where you live aren't going to do something stupid, like break in and steal your stuff so they can go and get themselves shot by the local ARU.

I feel for you, I really do, but it looks like, once again, the law-abiding person is the one to make the concessions because the people who DON'T obey the law WON'T.

Ditto, however, on the fact that you're under no legal obligation to obey, but it just seems prudent under the circumstance. Until there is a change in law, you are under no responsibility to secure your airsoft guns, and if one is stolen from you and used in a crime, this, also, is not your fault.

However, given the circumstances, I'd have no problem in agreeing with the police on this, just for the sake of your sanity.

And I'd have a screen up on the front window, too...

God, I hate british kids...

At least the armed response wasn't called in like another such thread described not so long ago (The one with the 15 year old being seen by an old bloke in a hotel) but that is small consolation.

It is sad that we live with little brats running around and the police can't do nothing because there hands are tied in such matters. Why? Because alot of parents just don't care and lie for there children, "He was at home officer when this happened that old woman just hates him " etc etc. I hear loads of story's like this from my mates in the police.

I do hope nothing like this happens again to you gunlady and those kids don't bother you again, its a shame your the victim here but feel like the one who's committing the crime.

I do hope this hasn't caused you too much worry or stress.

You have absolutely no reason whatsoever to wire up your collection of HARMLESS airsoft guns. If a copper (ARU or not) told me to do something like that I'd tell him/her to politely go take a flying *swear word*. Their argument for you do do that is flawed simply for the very reasons you have already mentioned.

How prey tell do you politely tell someone to take a flying *fruitcage*?

Incidently if you do swear at the police you may well find yourself with an £80 fpn!

Back on topic, I personally feel that wiring them to the wall is in your best interests as it will help keep your collection safe :) I also feel that although they are 'toys' and you have every right to display them on your wall, it's perhaps not the best choice given modern society and its tendency for hysteria. Perhaps a screen of some sort to keep out of sight of the casual observer.

Just my opinion, no :flamed: please.

I keep my airsoft weapons hidden away as I don't want to cause any alarm to the neighbours and don't fancy armed police breaking their way in :waggle:

I can understand where you are coming from, but I can also see the police point of view.

Sorry to hear of your experience.

It's a shame that the standard response of the Police seems to be heavy handed - Sounds horribly like policy to me...

Cheers.

Hi Snowman,

Yeah, the trouble is I can't beat the police even if what they're saying is on its head.

I have already wired some of the pistols and will be doing the same with the rest and running one through the trigger guards of the rifles in the rack.

All rather abloody nuisance, but I have to obey the cockeyed law.

Gunlady

PS. Nice to talk to yoy again....

Ouch, that is pretty unfortunate.

What I would try is to put up curtains, or any blinds so that they can't look at them, and if you have an alarm system, it wouldn't be too bad. In fact, get an alarm system, it'll be pretty useful. (If you want to get it or if it's possible) So that if they some how break in, they will be easier to catch than without an alarm sounding.

Just my suggestion.

Hello,

The board is curtained right off. It is impossible just look through the window normally and see them.

But thanks for your helpful suggestion.

Gunlady

At least they take reports on guns seriously. Making you wire them up is a bunch of :cheese: though. It is your house. You should put up a screen in front of your window.

Hi Evilliboba,

As you may have seen from a previous reply, these boards are completely screened off from view by heavy curtains. They cannot be seen from outside. It was only because they were able to get their heads inside the flat that they could see them.

I do take all necessary precautions you see, but if somebodt totally invades your privacy then there's not much one cab do about it. We simply cannot stay shut in with all windows closed in the hot weather.

They were the ones waving a gun about, bot me. They must have already had it with them because it never came from here.

Gunlady

You don't legally have to wire or cover them. The police can disapprove all they want, but the law is on your side. You've done nothing wrong in terms of ownership and storage of your collection.

You say you "have to keep the police happy", but will they be happy ever about you having such an impressive collection? Possible, but unlikely.

You're completely legal, so they have no choice on the matter. If they're not happy thats down to the officer in questions personal opinion on the subject. They're in no legal position to demand anything from you.

On one side, I suppose, it will please them a little, but on the other side I prefer to stand up for my legal rights. The police have to follow the law "word for word" as well... they don't get to make it up as they go along.

Hi Octopus,

Thanks for your advice and I know you're right. But I don't want to make waves. My gun collection, sorry, correction, my replica toy gun collection, because that's in the end what it is, is all I have left that I can do as a hobby now that my disability has eaten into all my other active pasttimes.

So you can possibly see my dilemma?

Gunlady

Why not buy a gun safe?

Or are those not even sold in the UK anymore?

Hi,

I don't need a gun safe nor do I really want one because the whole purpose of the collection is that it be on view to be enjoyed by us and us alone. It is perfectly legal, none of the collection is above the legal UK limit and none of it is on view to the public unless the public come in here.

Gun cupboards are for firearms.

Thanks anyway, you meant well.

Gunlady

Being a probable future Police Officer myself, I'd like to say one thing:  Don't judge ALL Police Officers due to one over reacting.  I'm sick and tired of people saying Police are bad because they have seen ONE (maybe two, if they want to be "sure") lousy Officer.

I've had a few run-in's with the British on other forums, yet I feel fine coming here and posting with you guys, even though this forum is predominantly British (considering it is based in the UK lol).  So don't take this ONE man's experience and say that all Police hate airsoft and all that.  I know a Police Officer who actually owns an online airsoft store.  I also know several who play airsoft, and when I took my airsoft gun to a gun show one time (in order to fit it for accessories), they Police Officers in charge of checking the weapons in were all very interested in it and liked it.  I've even read of some Officer units using them to train.

So don't judge everyone by one misshap.  I agree that this was a bit rediculous, but I know people will come here and go straight to their "down with Police Officers!" chant.  I wish to stop that somewhat before it starts.

Hi,

I don't mind the police coming in here to check the replicas, I feel that is right and proper and have told them often enough that I am quite happy to be registered at the local cop shop.

But we must all remember here that these are classed as toys. They are certainly not air guns and are not lethal. I own air guns too and those are kept out of sight.

I've never heard of anybody being killed by an airsoft gun, by the police shooting somebody with an airsoft gun or even in one case here a chair leg, but they use real weapons.

So expecting me to take what is quite extreme firearm precautions like putting a lockable cabinet around them is very silly. They say that if somebody steals one and gets shot them it would be my fault because my toy guns were not secured as firearms are. That would not be the case because if I were burgled then that's a crime in itself and not my fault. If that burglar then goes unto a public highway and openly displays the prodeeds of that burglary and gets shot then that's their fault, not mine.

I honestly don't think that's necessary in the UK and I'm also pretty sure that if I stood up against them about that they would have to back down.

They might try confiscating the collection, but I'd fight that like hell because these are totally harmless toys. Whever heard of police confiscating toys!

Hope you do your policing well wherever you are...

Gunlady

this is why i hate little kids. they're incredibly nosey and if you don't let them do something, they get all pissy and annoy the hell out of you. if i COULD and if i had an awesome collection such as yourself, i'd make a rack so they all point at the window. maybe even out of it. then put a mannequin behind them all.

How prey tell do you politely tell someone to take a flying *fruitcage*?

Incidently if you do swear at the police you may well find yourself with an £80 fpn!

Back on topic, I personally feel that wiring them to the wall is in your best interests as it will help keep your collection safe :) I also feel that although they are 'toys' and you have every right to display them on your wall, it's perhaps not the best choice given modern society and its tendency for hysteria. Perhaps a screen of some sort to keep out of sight of the casual observer.

Just my opinion, no :flamed: please.

I keep my airsoft weapons hidden away as I don't want to cause any alarm to the neighbours and don't fancy armed police breaking their way in :waggle:

I can understand where you are coming from, but I can also see the police point of view.

Hi,

I appreciate you points and thanks.

But these replicas cannot be seen from outside as the curtain is always drawn fully to cover them from view. The police couldn't actually see them without going to great lengths, like sticking their heads in the window. In this case and as I have said before, a casual observer cannot actually casually observe them. They need to go the great lengths to get a glance of them, like coming inside!

I do think however that wiring them is a sensible if a ruddy nuisance thing, especially now that they are know to be here, and that's what I intend to do and told the old Bill that, which seemed to make them happy.

The wire I am using is very thin but also very strong and is used for the rigging on large radio controlled sailing boats. It requires sidecutters to get through it.

Gunlady

Archived