WE Glock series polymer GBB magazines? (da fuq!?)

NonEx

Just saw this post on arms-cool from WE...

1174379_715460261801918_735073129_n.jpg?

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http://www.arms-cool.net/forum/thread-141628-1-1.html&usg=ALkJrhj0ZVwJiFY8LF_SdDbuO4nFepArkg

Da hell?

We were just discussing this a few weeks ago in the Glock picture thread.

I a m not sure about the translation, but 114grams for a Glock magazine seems very light.

Can they pull if off with polymer only? And will it handle the pressure ? :o

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well as the classic MGC guns had polymer magazines I say why not?

But as it is WE I expect little time and effort to be put into this so personally will pass. If they did this in C02 that would just be downright dangerous knowing them.

'FireKnife'

About time I'd say.

The old Tanio Koba USP used polymer magazines iirc.

Polymer mags holding the pressure shouldn't be an problem, even rubbish brittle refillable lighters will hold propane without issues but I can see potential for leaking around the base plate if the design isn't right, hopefully it's a screwed in base plate with a metal threaded insert moulded into the body rather than pinned, there will be more risk of the threads for valves stripping too unless they use metal inserts there as well, which I suspect is unlikely.

Either way the metal used in airsoft pistol magazines, let alone WE magazines is a pretty poor grade of cast metal, any cheap off the shelf grade of polymer for injection moulding is arguably going to be of better overall quality and consistency when used properly.

I remember seeing a news topic here about a POM hi-capa magazine some while back. I'd jump on it if they weren't produced in limited quantity (can't even remember who made them exactly). As for polymer itself holding the pressure, there are plenty enough POM 40mm grenades to prove that point. However, that's not to say they're indestructible and are still very much relying on sound engineering design whether or not it could take a beating like being dropped and such.

As for polymer itself holding the pressure, there are plenty enough POM 40mm grenades to prove that point. However, that's not to say they're indestructible and are still very much relying on sound engineering design whether or not it could take a beating like being dropped and such.

Exactly, the POM grenades are alright but if they used better valves and a metal threaded insert for the fill valve I think they could easily be as good as any full metal versions, the problem is when products are made to a price and not a standard which I fear could be the case with any WE polymer magazines, made to the right standard they could be excellent.

Did they say it's polymer? Could be aluminum also, or aluminum with polymer coating. My BF mag for 1911 is aluminum and it's very lightweigt.

7075 mags would be much apreciated...

You gotta be dreaming there man, WE doing stuff with 7075 alu ? :P

This is the title of the thread, translated by Google;

"The new G-series sports-type plus fiber reinforced plastic lightweight magazine. Intensive tests."

So yeah. I guess it is polymer magazine.

Thanks for the info from the rest of you about it being done before, I did not know that.

I guess there is hope then.

My concern is that the pistols will become very unbalanced with apolymer magazine at the back.

If you think about it, today magazines usually give 1/3rd or 1/4th of the weight to a gun and puts the balance on center.

But anyways, I always like new products coming that could bring something new.

It would certaintly be more realistic for the Glocks.

I have 3 of the Hicapa polymer mags and they are awesome. I no longer have the fear of dropping mags on the floor in cbq. The only downside is that I MAY not notice if one goes astray, but I no longer use soft holsters so accidental mag release is not a real issue for me. black talon concepts (not the FET guys make them) are the guys that made them I and had them shipped over by https://www.facebook.com/SuzutomoGunTailoring?fref=ts they were a bit more than regular mags but worth every penny.

If anything, a plastic mag might actually make cooldown worse - plastic is a better insulator than metal, so it'll take longer for heat to make its way back into the gas chamber once it's cooled down from firing.

The heat the gas needs doesn't come from the magazine, but from the air surrounding the gas seal. That's the area that gets frozen (due to proximity), and a polymer will likely have better results than metal in that.

For example, the WE G39, with all its plastic in the gun and magazines, is a better performer than their full-metal guns.

Nooo that's wrong. For the liquid to boil into a gas, it requires heat. It can't make the phase change without it. So when the mag valve opens, the liquid takes in energy from its surroundings - i.e. the rest of the liquid, the magazine, the grip, surrounding air etc. The gas does continue to expand as moves through the gun, which cools the valve, gas router, loading nozzle, slide, hop, barrel etc. But the bulk of the energy is taken in when the liquid boils in the magazine, which explains why GBB mags get so cold during prolonged firing.

Whether or not any of that will make any noticable difference, I've no idea. As Wingmann mentioned the G39 has plastic mags and that seems to do fine (well, in fact).

I think it was 3v1l-d4n on here said that the ideal gas mag would be a conductive metal like copper, and have huge heatsink fins inside and out (like a CPU cooler). Very impractical though! :P

Whether or not any of that will make any noticable difference, I've no idea. As Wingmann mentioned the G39 has plastic mags and that seems to do fine (well, in fact).

The G39(G36) magazines are not plastic, they have a plastic shell over a conventional metal internal gas chamber with a plastic feed/follwer assembly, if anything that is probably the worst type of design for a gas magazine since the plastic will act as an insulator for the metal internals and prevent the warmer air surrounding the mag (unless you are playing in very cold conditions where the air is colder than the chamber after being emptied) warming the metal chamber which will have dropped in temperature due to cool down.

Surely a heatsink fin structure would be terrible - Way more surface area. 

No, that is exactly what you want.

In the case of a computer CPU you want the heatsink so the cooler air surrounding it removes the heat from the hotter heatsink which is removing the heat from the CPU by conduction, in the case of a gas magazine as long as the air is warmer than the magazine you want as much surface area and thermal conductivity as possible to enable the magazine to warm back upto the original temperature as fast as possible, otherwise you're fighting a losing battle when you fill up an already cold magazine again.

I'm not sure how much difference a polymer gas chamber will make on the first fill, but on the subsequent fills it may be of benefit if the insulating plastic magazine itself doesn't drop to a temperature as low as a conductive metal one would in the first place, however I'd assume it'd only make a significant difference when you are refilling regually.

Ninja'd you :P

The G39(G36) magazines are not plastic, they have a plastic shell over a conventional metal internal gas chamber with a plastic feed/follwer assembly, if anything that is probably the worst type of design for a gas magazine since the plastic will act as an insulator for the metal internals and prevent the warmer air surrounding the mag (unless you are playing in very cold conditions where the air is colder than the chamber after being emptied) warming the metal chamber which will have dropped in temperature due to cool down.

I know how G39 mags are put together, hence my mild surprise that they work as well as they do! Speaks volumes about the design of the gas system I guess.

Archived