Army Armament R85 (L85A1)

I had the same thing with my magazines. The hop unit is misaligned. Mine was slightly too far to one side. Ive been gradually prising it to one side and i think its started to stick in that position now as magazines will go in. Try that is all i can suggest.

As to the blowback slide, strip the gun down as described in the manual and lube it up well. It worked wonders on mine.... Cocking handle... pass im afraid i dont know.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I got two R85 from RSOV today. The packages were a bit wet inside, little rust on some parts.

The magazine doesn't lock inside the gun?! I try to put the magazine inside, but the snatch on the magazine doesn't go deep enough, so the magazine catch can't lock the magazine. That is the same on both guns. I can't see anything out of ordinary inside the magazine or the gun. What to do? I tried everything, the magazines just fall out. The magazine simply doesn't go deep inside the gun.

The other thing is - the damned cocking handle fell off on the first time I pulled it!  :headbutt:  I didn't use any excessive force. What can I do now?

On the same gun - the blowback mechanism has way too much friction, it barely moves with hands, doesn't move when shooting!

Here is the picture of the handle:

handleah4.jpg

Here is the magazine mechanism:

magazinezg6.jpg

Hey bro

Thanks for letting me know the situation and don't worry although we are based in hong kong we will sure work out something with you on the issues.

We will strip a bolt and cocking handle assembly from another sellable gun and send it to you then.

As far as the mag catch problem we will test it again on our stock gun and get back to you then.

Thanks again and please send me email at 'sales@rsov.com' if we can be of any further assist.

Yours

keith

On top of where the piston sits there is a little sliding part that has a silver latch on the top and a tiny spring to throw the bolt back when the piston moves.  It comes drowned in grease but i want a slightly more secure way of holding it in.  A tiny screw should do the job.

I have noticed this too and feel the same about how robust it is. :(

I don`t have much confidence that wads of grease will stop the tiny spring for being lost in the bowels of the AEG and then leave me with the task of trying to find a suitable replacement to enable the blowback to operate (Assuming that when this spring does decend into the chamber it doesn`t completely mangle the gears! :huh: )

I don`t have much experience with AEG gunsmithing so any attempts you make Mr stabby I would be intereted to know how they go and how you acheived it.

Edited by Neotheone
Ok, I got two R85 from RSOV today. The packages were a bit wet inside, little rust on some parts.

The magazine doesn't lock inside the gun?! I try to put the magazine inside, but the snatch on the magazine doesn't go deep enough, so the magazine catch can't lock the magazine. That is the same on both guns. I can't see anything out of ordinary inside the magazine or the gun. What to do? I tried everything, the magazines just fall out. The magazine simply doesn't go deep inside the gun.

The other thing is - the damned cocking handle fell off on the first time I pulled it!  :headbutt:  I didn't use any excessive force. What can I do now?

On the same gun - the blowback mechanism has way too much friction, it barely moves with hands, doesn't move when shooting!

EDIT: And it's getting better - one of the guns doesn't have a whole part in the front, it's the long silver tube inside the foregrip!! Look at the pictures.

Was my gun used for spare parts or what?  :angry:

Here is the picture of the handle:

handleah4.jpg

Here is the magazine mechanism:

magazinezg6.jpg

Missing part:

missinghg9.jpg

Hey bro

Don't worry I got spare gas tube in stock will send one to you together with the cocking handle assembly.

Thanks again bro and sorry for the trouble.

keith

www.rsov.com

Hey bro

Don't worry I got spare gas tube in stock will send one to you together with the cocking handle assembly.

Thanks again bro and sorry for the trouble.

keith

www.rsov.com

Thank you Keith for your very fast reply, and for the fast reply to my email - that is what I call a good customer service! I'll try to align the hop-up unit with the magazine and I will let you know.

Thanks again.

Thank you Keith for your very fast reply, and for the fast reply to my email - that is what I call a good customer service! I'll try to align the hop-up unit with the magazine and I will let you know.

Thanks again.

Thanks again bro your missing parts will be shipped in 2 business days and a delivery confirmation number will follow.

Sorry again for the trouble and we will sure do our very best to resolve the problems.

Yours

keith

I disassembled the upper part on both guns.

The magazines don't go enough deep inside because of the bad hop-up alignment.

The whole hop-up unit is coupled with the outer barrel - so you have to move with the outer barrel to re-align the hopup.

That was quite easy on the first gun, two screws in the front, 1 screw in the rear and you can pull the whole outer barell out. There is a small piece of metal on the outer barrel, attached with two screws, so by repositioning this metal you can re-align the outer-barell and the hop-up. I tried it on the first gun and it worked - the magazine stayed in.

The second gun is a bit more problematic, the outer barrel doesn't move at all. You can look at the pictures, GUN1 is the gun where the barrel doesn't move. It won't come out. The arrow points on a stripped metal part, this indicates that the outer barrel was probably inserted with heavy force inside the middle part. I tried everything to pull it apart, but it won't move and so I can't re-align the hopup.

The whole blowback part can be removed and replaced, it's hold in place by two screws. It seems that the metal is probably bent somehow and it jams with the body. So this might be solved when I get the whole part from RSOV.

The silver tube in the front handle can be removed easily, so when I get the missing part from RSOV, it would be replaced within seconds. It's not a crucial part, that doesn't bother me know.

So the biggest problem now is the outer barrel, I can't pull it out - I'll continue trying today.

I just don't have luck :( , so much waiting for my first "real" Airsoft gun (me and my brother) and now this happens.

barellxi8.jpg

Just to put some input in - other than the orange flash hider, the R85 I got from Gunner is goinf strong. I might take her to a game this weekend to try her out in battle. I'll try to get some battle footage for the video review!

I know the review is STILL not finished - but I want it to be PERFECT - Arnies deserves it.

I've been playing with mine for a couple of days now and I'm pretty impressed. The mag can be a bit awkward to fit although it is definately loosening up now. It can help to release the spring pressure by pushing the little lever inside the magazine housing. This probably has the effect of moving the hop up unit a little and allowing the mag to fit. I bought an ICS M4 Hicap today and that fits lovely and is a better colour match than the supplied one.

I also bought a Madbull Shark Hop Up rubber (I think thats what it's called I'm a bit new to the airsoft thing) and that has made a hell of a difference, much better range and improved back spin. Well worth 5 quid (thanks Jacko).

It chronoed at around the 320 mark with the original Hopup but I havent tested it again yet with the new rubber.

I took out the grubscrew that locks the cocking handle onto the bolt and applied some locktite just in case, although it did feel quite secure.

The semi automatic misfire does happen quite frequently, it does help to apply firm pressure to the trigger and keep it held down until the cycle has completed (just like the real thing). Flicking the selector to auto firing a few shots and then flicking it back works fine and isn't really much of an issue.

Overall I'm delighted and well worth 100 quid. I'm taking it to Manby on Friday and will be interested to see how it performs.

After 2 hours of hard work with a help of another person I was able to slowly take out the outer barrel out of the body, I had to grind away some of the metal. I can tell you, that body is tough - it will survive anything after it survived this rough handling. I could re-aling the hopup and now the magazine stays in. Thanks God, finally.

I lost the small spring for the blowback system - the whole part is only held in place by grease! (that's not a joke). So I took out the small thing and disabled the whole blowback - this way the chamber stays closed, no dirt gets in and the blowback is disabled.

So one gun works finally :D . It took the whole day but it was worth it.

Now the second gun - I need the cocking handle part from RSOV and the silver tube and I am ready to go.

Hi guys,

Yeah the magazine fit is an issue with a few of them. Once you've worked them in they seem to get better and better.

To be honest i've been surprised (as I'm sure Keith from RSOV is too) at how little problems these have had. When you compare it to the CA FN Scar-L had tappet plate problems across the first batch. The R85 has only had a few little niggle problems.

Mik, liked your load out on ASCUK ;) takes me back to my Quarter Guard at the Edinburgh Tattoo... in the rain :P

My R85 is still going strong and i havent had any problems with it since i got it last tuesday apart from one.

i have tried adjusting the rear sight but its so bloody tight it wont budge. i push the little spring loaded locking pin clear but it still wont move. i think its been screwed on a little too far which isnt a problem, i could unscrew it a little but there is a locking pin in the round adjusitng knob which just wont move.

has anyone else got this problem or is it just me ? its a bit annoying not being able to adjust the sights correctly.

as for the semi auto problem, it has only happend to me a couple of times. also if you try and fire the gun from semi after the spring has been relaxed the gun has to set the spring position first therfore you have to squeeze the trigger twice on the first shot, that is perfectly normal.

i got the missing gas tube parts and grub screw from keith on monday and slotted them straight in i\'ve also got a G & G A2 ccocking lever on the way, hopefully seeing as this is a clone it should screw straight on and i will be half way to an L85A2 :)

as for the semi auto problem, it has only happend to me a couple of times. also if you try and fire the gun from semi after the spring has been relaxed the gun has to set the spring position first therfore you have to squeeze the trigger twice on the first shot, that is perfectly normal.

Sweet, it does use a precompressed spring! No one directly answered this before. Yay for army!!

Well mine arrived this morning... with a host of problems, blowback non working, missing the front receiver pin, rust in lots of places, doesnt actually seat any magazines, including the army one supplied and a dodgy hop up.

More detail over the weekend as at the minute im just back from 3 days of 12 hour shifts and im just dying from tiredness.

Edited by nuclear_darkness

I was able to repair the magazine problem - I found out that it helps to hold the outer barrel with one hand and twist it (it moves maybe a half-milimeter) and with the other hand try to insert the magazine. That works for me. And everytime it's easier the insert the magazine (I don't need to twist the barrel anymore).

If that doesn't work, then you can try to take out the whole outer barrel and re-align it...

I have some rust on the front handle (upper metal part), I am going to use some rust remover and then I'll spray some black paint to prevent further rust caused by rain.

Keith from RSOV was very helpful and he sent me the broken parts (broken cocking handle, missing silver gas tube).

is this gun likely to go rusty if you use it in the rain? Can you prevent this in any way?

Erm yes it's made of steel.Oil it with silicone oil by wiping it in an oily rag & then wiping off the excess that way the oil protects with out collecting dirt! ;)