11yr old shot dead in Liverpool

5thElement

Actually, I was looking at US homicide statistics and was shocked how LOW they are. When you have millions living in cities in what are sometimes apalling conditions, Im amazed the rates arent higher.

Plus the majority of gun casualties in the US is to a much larger extent gang on gang stuff. British shootings appear to be far more random.

Plus, in New York at least (which is the area I was studying), crime has plummeted from a mid 90's high.

---

Sekiryu - when Ben Bagdickians' studies show that 80% of all media in the western world are owned by 5 major corporations, I think you have your answer. The news is owned by the highest bidders. In fact, some newspapers have their advertising execs in editorial meetings to decide what stories to drop because they are not in the interests of advertisers...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I fail to see how this tragedy is anywhere remotely related to gun control. It's not like the 11 year old would have had the possibility to shoot back in the US either.

If anyone is calling for more or less gun control based on incidents like this, they are only riding dead people to push a political agenda. On both sides.

Going: "Haha, your gun control didn't work!" is just incredibly insensitive. It may be true that gun control isn't helping any, but this is not the time to point it out.

-Sale

They are not worthless breeds. This is the fault of the owner not the breed of dog.  Your statement is along the same lines of something I read on another board I frequent 'black people are just naturally criminals'.

Watch with your vicious generalisations there Guzzi.

Dude that comparison falls down on so many levels!

The breeds of dogs mentioned have been breed to be violent and not meant to be kept as pets in a home. I don't care if they are exceptionally loyal to their owners, that just makes them more of a danger to anyone else!

Comparing someone being bigoted and racist towards black people and dogs that are known to have been bred for certain traits is a *fruitcage* ludicrous straw man.

Personally I don't understand why connecting mental capability and genetics is automatically labeled as racist, but you are allowed to think Kenyans are great runners. I think generalizations become sexist or racist only if you don't treat individuals neutrally when you come across them.

But that's a whole other topic.

-Sale

Saying something with no evidence to back it up is bad.

So saying "blacks are genetically more likely to commit crime" requires some actual proof that it is the genetics that cause the problem not any other issue. Saying "Kenyans are great runners" is fine because the evidence shows that they win more medals for running than other countries.

No one complains that sickle cell anemia only affect black people because the reasons for that are understood.

11 year old boy, on the way home from football training, shot in the neck from behind by a 14 year old he probably didn't know, with no motive.

Sounds to me like the kid got hold of a firearm and pulled the trigger just to see what it would do, for a laugh, for a dare perhaps.

Its gone past gun control. I haven't heard mention of what kind of gun yet, but i'm going to guess, 9mm, semi auto, handgun - the usual. Sounds about right? Already ilegal. Its gone past gun control, its now gun culture that should be addressed.

If it were me in charge i'd suggest a series of hard hitting, graphic tv adverts shown BEFORE the watershed of what guns do to people.

Politics aside - and so they damn well should be at this time - the press conference moved me. I've got a lot of respect for that family for appearing on TV and feel terrible for the parents. Definetly weren't chavs though mate.

Remember folks, if we all had guns there'd be no violence.

And Columbine never happened.

Also, while I'm responding to nonsense, Guzzi is totally wrong about dogs and Moss side is NOT in Liverpool, Spedz.

In fact, I have no idea where Spedz gets his POV about Liverpool but it's a damned sight better than some of the other sh*t-hole cities in this country.

Spend a day in Leeds, Bradford or Birmingham and you'd be BEGGING to live in Liverpool instead.

As for the kid, utterly devastating.

I only hope (and I know this is small consolation) it was an accident raher than some psycho practicing with his new shoota' or that the kid got shot as some kind of revenge thing against the parents.

I know Mosside isn't in Liverpool. I was actually saying that certain areas has and probablly will be more prone to gun crimes, then others. It's just like salford actually as well. That was under a Rejuvination at one point. But there are still stabbings shootings etc. Which has lead to why I said what I did. Just because some where looks nice doesn't neccessarily mean IT IS nice.

As for the kid, utterly devastating.

I only hope (and I know this is small consolation) it was an accident raher than some psycho practicing with his new shoota' or that the kid got shot as some kind of revenge thing against the parents.

According to the last I heard on it he fired 3 shots, then calmly rode off on his BMX.

Doesnt sound like an accident to me. sounds like a heartless ###### with no regard for human life.

Kind of makes me wish we had capitol punishment still. if they ever get the guy who shot this poor child he will be out within a few years and still not give a damn about what he did.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the dogs. But its funny how the owner of every kill-hound that mauls a 3yr old kid always says "He's never been violent before!". And I have yet to see a mauling by golden retriever.

I think the shooting was pretty deliberate. He apparently had his face covered...why do that if he was just showing off chav-a-like?

My sympathy goes out to the victim and his family.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the dogs.  But its funny how the owner of every kill-hound that mauls a 3yr old kid always says "He's never been violent before!".  And I have yet to see a mauling by golden retriever.

I think the shooting was pretty deliberate.  He apparently had his face covered...why do that if he was just showing off chav-a-like?

My sympathy goes out to the victim and his family.

*ahem*

On topic, I have to say that this shooting smacks of some form of initiation right to me. A case of 'if you want to be in our gang you have to kill someone' without regard for who that someone is.

I'm going to have to wait for more facts to emerge before I form an opinion on the matter.

Teehee, I like the way you form an opinion, express it and then say you are going to wait for more facts before forming an opinion.

I think my hungover state is making me pedantic this morning. :)

But FWIW I agree with you.

Doesnt look like a Goldie. Thats a crossbreed terrier I think...should still have been reasonably timid though. And I *love* the OTT NBC "DOG ATTACK" logo. Someone probably sits in their mothers basement ready to be called up to design way-out-of-proportion logos for every event that happens!

However, I still claim victory because you had to go to the US to find a case...and it wasnt even a goldie after that :P

Kind of makes me wish we had capitol punishment still. if they ever get the guy who shot this poor child he will be out within a few years and still not give a damn about what he did.

You would hope that having to live with what they've done is punishment enough to a decent human being.

I blame videogames. Ive seen those Sega and Capcom cartridges huddled on street corners with hoodies on talking about 'beetches goin down' and the 'fo-fo'. I bet they did it.

They killed the ZX Spectrum and *everyone* knows it! They have past form! Dont trust the games, man!

Dunno if this is the same thing, but I was watching BBC last night, and they interviewed these two parents. I'm pretty sure she said her son was 11, and that he got shot in the back of the head. I felt pretty bad, mainly because he was only 11, and his Dad said that he saw his son fighting for his life as pools of blood surrounded him. Condolences to his family. :(

In other news...

When will this government wake up and realise that rottweilers, pittbulls and dobermans are worthless breeds and ban their ownership?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6959146.stm

Oh...and this place is within sight of my house :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staffordshire/6959051.stm

The second link.

That poor girl shot in the head with an AirRifle pellet stuck in her brain I feel so sorry for her. Its a scary society when a 6yo shoots her sister in the head whilst thier 14yo sister is looking after them and thier single mum is down the pub getting hammered. More worryingly so is how in the hell do they not know who owns the rifle.

This is where Parental Vetting would be a good idea you must be minimum level of intelligence to have a child.

GRRR Rant over

*gets off soap box*

Archived