renegadecow

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Major update!

100_0435.jpg

The M14 action successfully bedded on the new Mini-14 stock

Making a completely new stock from scratch wasn't as easy as I'd hoped it to be. It being the first M14/mini-14 stock I've made, I've had to go through a lot of revisions on both the template and on the final cut just to make things fit, and believe me that its a tight squeeze. One of the major changes made was the back end of the stock. The motor stuck out too far so I had to pattern it after how the EBR grip is placed. The grip itself is made of wood, but I'll be slapping putty on it so the grain won't show when I paint it. With the rear end crowded as it is, I'm also going to have to redesign the butt stock. On the Mini-14, the butt stock is embedded on the right side of the stock, which I can't do because of the motor inside it. I also made the slightest mistake by copying the M14's slanted magwell contour as opposed to the Mini-14's straight one. Its only a minor difference which will be more than likely overlooked if I don a Mr. T outfit whenever I skirmish with this thing.

I've also decided to copy the barrel length of the AC556F since I'll be using this for CQB and I don't intend on painting the gun silver for the GB-F look.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a grip idea for you that looks about as close to the RS Ruger grip as possible. Used this on a VERY old school Ruger 10-22 stock I made to resemble a Mini-14 folding stock. No I dont have pics, lol, the gun has been gone out of my armory for over ten years.

But here we go, a factory Mossberg 500 rear pistol grip. Cut it down from the top to level off the hump where it attaches to the reciever of the shotgun and drill all the way through it for an attachment screw and you're good to go. Shouldn't be too expensive and can still be found through Brownell's. Can't give you anymore help from there, I'd love to have a Mini-14 myself, but no money or tools to complete such a thing anymore. Good Luck!

• 4 weeks later...

After a lot of positive reinforcement through beer...

100_0501.jpg

100_0489.jpg

100_0492.jpg

and two days just constructing the front sight block from scratch...

100_0491.jpg

100_0496.jpg

I've yet to build the folding stock, which would require a whole lot more of ale to conjure its designs. As you can all see, the pistol grip is in textured OD which only shows just how low my funds are right now. I ran out of black paint and couldn't even buy a new can hence the temporary green color.

Hmm, i'm not a big fan of the mini-14 however i've got to say how impressed i am with your work! and once i see the finished product with folder it may grow on me yet ;)

also, we want pics with silver haired wig and a cigar sticking out your mouth :D

pete

very good job, dude! you have really built a very sexy unique gun! which makes me very jealous *gg*

great work, can't wait to see your "all-finished" pics!

Thats the real thing dude. its no airsoft AEG. You can google that picture. I found it months ago when i was thinking about doing the same project.

School boy Error!

Which picture would that be? The only pictures of real weapons posted in this thread thus far is the first one (mini-14f) and HannibalSmiths AC556F. Everything else are pictures of my ongoing project of constructing an AEG AC556F. Go see the 2nd page for progress shots and as you can see, I'm not even finished yet.

update on the butt stock:

I've given up hope in designing my own hinge mechanism so I will be transplanting one from an MP5K PDW, that is, as soon as my supplier replies to my messages and actually sends me one.

Thats the real thing dude. its no airsoft AEG. You can google that picture. I found it months ago when i was thinking about doing the same project.

School boy Error!

well it's not that i don't believe you, but i just don't believe you :P

as renegadecow said the only real deal pics are the ones in the first thread. otherwise i would really be surprised when ruger puts a green grip on a wood stock. does ruger have declared bankruptcy?

cheers

smilingknafe

Which picture would that be? The only pictures of real weapons posted in this thread thus far is the first one (mini-14f) and HannibalSmiths AC556F. Everything else are pictures of my ongoing project of constructing an AEG AC556F. Go see the 2nd page for progress shots and as you can see, I'm not even finished yet.

update on the butt stock:

I've given up hope in designing my own hinge mechanism so I will be transplanting one from an MP5K PDW, that is, as soon as my supplier replies to my messages and actually sends me one.

Just for clarification...my 556 is airsoft, so it's not real. It's a custom gas gun.

Honestly with your fabricating skills you could rig up a hinge and then just buy a rod to attach. You'd be halfway there truthfully. I could take some pics of mine that might help. Just PM me if you're interested.

Hannibal: sent you a PM

Wildething: thanks for the offer; will contact you if need be. As for the sight/gas block, I fabricated mine out of PVC using dimensions I pulled out off internet pics. I don't think the one I made will fit the real AC556Fs furniture and heat shield since I also had to make these parts from scratch. Since you're trying to make one too but out of real steel components, I'm guessing that kind of custom work is legal where you are. In which case, it may be easier for you to simply buy a real sight/gas block to work on.

• 3 weeks later...

I pity the fool who don't like my gun!

100_0525.jpg

100_0526.jpg

100_0527.jpg

100_0533.jpg

Butt stock complete and houses an 8.4 1400mAh Intellect battery. The space was so small I had to strip the battery off its shrink wrap and make a new insulation for the wire out of electric tape just to make it flat. The butt plate is a bit wobbly and mushy when shouldered. I'll get back to that some other time since I've been itching to skirmish with this thing since day one, and since when did any member of the A-team fire a gun from the shoulder? Fire it from the hip like real men should!

Archived