Heavy BBs disappearing everywhere

HC Airsoft

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
last i checked being a sniper was about the most expensive position, next to the geardo dmr guy on a team

???,

a homemade ghillie suit and a boltie costs much less than most of the AEG's and "gucci" RS Kit that play at my local sites.

People there spend £1000's on AEG's , metal bodies , Hicaps and batteries, then £100's more on Real Steel Multicam and vests and

the like.

I dont want to spend £10 on 500 SGM's if a better (and maybe slightly heavier) option is about to come out.

I can get 1000 0.36 straights for that money or 3500 0.28 guarder HPM's.

I get good performance from both and maybe when I finally run out of those, these magnum BB's will be out...

But seriously, I dont think Sniping is anywhere near as expensive as running an AEG.

Jim

Its all about trade offs.

5000 bb's for $15

or 500 for $19.99

All in all, your ratio of firing is going to be vastly different from a person who can fire 15 rounds a second.

Some people leave the day firing 500-10,000 rounds, and others leave firing 20-100

the same thing happened back in the day for me in paintball.

when everyone around me was tossing 1000's of cheap paintballs, At the end of the day, I only used maybe 50 really high quality rounds out of my pump.

Sure my pump gun cost 3 or almost 5 times as much as my buddy's cheap mass produced semi. But I more than recuperated my costs when I went through 500 rounds in 6 months vs 60 minutes.

This is a hobby, expenses are bound to happen. As much as a spend thrift that you can be, sometimes cutting corners leaves you wanting more, much more. The parts of a "Sniper" rifle are small in quantity compared to what an AEG has.

Of our components, they cost allot upfront, but how often does your hop up conversion need to be replaced in comparison to stripped bevel gear or motor pinion. By choosing a bolt action, we are putting up low start up and small variables here and there for a larger up front cost and relatively low maintenance costs.

This year, I might have spent maybe 200-300 dollars in airsoft and most of that is for entry fees and gas for the 80 mile round trip to my nearest field. I've spend maybe 80 dollars on a pack of digicon .36's and 2 packs of SMG'. Last year, I spent about 600 dollars to build my rifle and my loadout.

I am not gonna lie, when my bb's are out, they are going to be priced retail very close to a pack of SMG's why? Because I want the highest precision possible based on what I can afford to produce. Molds don't come cheap. I could have sent in a pack of SMG's for them to copy and pump out cheap .30's like no one's business, but a copy is never going to be as good as an original. Something worth doing, is worth doing right.

I know the topic is heavy-weight BB's, but i'd just like to throw in a recommendation for Blaster 0.30g BB's. They're just top quality Japanese BBs, that are nice and cheap! :) I've got a couple of boxes of SGMs at the mo' as well, i'll maybe try and A/B them with the Blasters.

Forgot to mention, they cost £5.00 for 1000.

What happend to PHX bbs? they used to produce a damn good .28 ,nicely polished and quality was consistent, on some of the bags from their last production they were offering heavier bb's such as .33 and perhaps .36 if i remember but seems they were never released.

Any news about whatever happened to them? Eveyone in NY was buying them up and about 2-3 months ago theyve vanished.

how often does your hop up conversion need to be replaced

It's a VSR why would I convert it? :rolleyes:

EDIT:: Also, Jim, don't forget gas

It's a VSR- Gas? LOL!

And magnum bb's in 0.36g at £10 would be good, but only if I can get them over here, transatlantic shipping charges would be

prohibitive . Have you got any dealers/retailers lined up across the pond?

Jim

i'd just like to throw in a recommendation for Blaster 0.30g BB's. They're just top quality Japanese BBs,

They work great in my Asahi M60, but not so great in the VSR... Guarder .28 HPM is the best bet in the cheap BB sector.

• 1 month later...

so... in theory I could convert my BAR 10 to a gas with that? :blink:

Ive found that RSOV's .30 are not to bad they also do .36 but I've not tried them. $10.49 for 1000

Linkage

EDIT: They also do up to .43 but those are 8mm... suppose thats not much use really :)

Don't get KSC .3g bbs if you are anywhere near sharpshooting. SGM is by far better BBs and major performance difference from KSC BBs. I have both bags so I know. I only use KSC BBs for side arms and SMGs.

I too wish some company step out and make some heavier weighted precision BBs. I miss Digicon .43g although they were quite nasty. Heavy weights help a lot for people living/skirmishing in windy location/area.

SGM's suck.

You can debate this all you want based on your bedroom calculations, but from actual skirmish experience, they just don't have the weight to give you accuracy at a distance.

Sure, they're pretty good at 30 to 40 metres. But that's AEG territory. I like to shoot at further ranges than that most of the time, and SGM's won't cut it, especially with a cross wind.

.36's are optimum for a 500 FPS rifle. .43's if you prefer a straighter, flatter trajectory over a gradual arc.

Ben.

SGM's suck.

You can debate this all you want based on your bedroom calculations, but from actual skirmish experience, they just don't have the weight to give you accuracy at a distance.

Sure, they're pretty good at 30 to 40 metres. But that's AEG territory. I like to shoot at further ranges than that most of the time, and SGM's won't cut it, especially with a cross wind.

.36's are optimum for a 500 FPS rifle. .43's if you prefer a straighter, flatter trajectory over a gradual arc.

Ben.

I found 0.29g SGM far better than digicon 0.36g in my setup. I tested them side by side on the same day. Even in the wind I would rather use SGM. They are are good for 60m after that wind has a bigger effect on them.

I'll review the MAGNUMBB 0.36g when they are released.

Good hunting ;)

I've only ever bought one box.

Used them for about 3 or 4 skirmishes, and found them to be utter rubbish in my set up.

Switched back to .36's/.43's, and had much better results.

I guess it depends what you use.

Ben.

Very much so.

I have found that sgms suit my 500fps vsr's out to 70m over all else tried so far.

However, I have a 400fps socom, with a lalax 303 barrel. Now this little fellow runs like a blinder on white digi .36's. Sgms are out of the question.

& both my 425fps electrosnipers absolutely love guarder hpm .28's. (The vsr is pretty good on them but hates the digis)

So, you are right, certain bb's suit certain set ups & there is no sure bb king.

Try 'em all, see what is best for you.

Greg.

Just to add my two pence :)

I must echo the past few posts, in that i feel SGMs just can't cut it when we're talking about 60m shots in my M700. However, they're incredible, and i wouldn't use anything else in my 500fps BAR10. I used to use digi .36's in my M700 exclusively, until they discontinued production and they were fantastic. Albeit, my M700 would never shoot much above 430fps (see my posts in M700 thread) i still found that SGMs simply didn't suit the set up, i really don't know.

Like everyone else i am awaiting Magnum BBs .36's :)

Archived