Force Recon Kit Discussion. Mk2

crackisbad

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't really scream FR IMO. Seems more like "CB MBSS used to play airsoft"

What about it doesn't? I think its a pretty solid representation

I would put the knife and tape elsewhere. Other than that I think it looks good. You've come a long way these past couple of months and it really shows. If it were me, Id try and snag one of the all velcro admins on ebay. You can get them now for around the same price as a regular Eagle admin. It would make it *that* much better, in my opinion.

What about it doesn't? I think its a pretty solid representation

I would put the knife and tape elsewhere. Other than that I think it looks good. You've come a long way these past couple of months and it really shows. If it were me, Id try and snag one of the all velcro admins on ebay. You can get them now for around the same price as a regular Eagle admin. It would make it *that* much better, in my opinion.

I think all of the things you listed would remedy my previous statement- that and toss it over a PACA and it'll look over 9,000 times better

I'd also move the radio pouch on the back if you carry it for looks and stick your working radio in a smaller pouch, like a banger or frag pouch and keep something more practical in its place.

I prefer to have it up front since changing the volume or the channel is a *badgeress* when it's behind you. I'll get a Sparten MBITR shell for it eventually.

TheLair, I'm working on the placement of those items as we speak. I'll keep an eye out for the AI Admin.

Azulsky, the LMF comes with a leg strap, it was helpful, but with my knife and IFAK on my 1st line, it was way to heavy, so I had to remove those items.

I am saying move the radio pouch to the back and keep your actual radio in a pouch that will hold it better while allowing you to access it. Although I can foresee it looking weird with the comm wires running to it.

The buddy system might be better if on your back. Usually don't need to screw with them midgame and extra mags would probably be more helpful.

But hey, whatever works for you.

I prefer to have it up front since changing the volume or the channel is a *badgeress* when it's behind you. I'll get a Sparten MBITR shell for it eventually.

TheLair, I'm working on the placement of those items as we speak. I'll keep an eye out for the AI Admin.

Azulsky, the LMF comes with a leg strap, it was helpful, but with my knife and IFAK on my 1st line, it was way to heavy, so I had to remove those items.

No need to wait for an allied one:here

Joe, I like my radio up front because my team doesn't have one channel we operate on at all times, and the EBB headset is tempermental about volume, so I have to keep changing that. Besides, I wouldn't need to access my own IFAK, because someone else would use it on me.

Hunk, I've tried putting my radio up front in a nade pouch, but as you said, it looked weird and the length of the comms wire was really annoying, even when I rubberband it to the pouch, it would still dangle everywhere. On my PC and belt rig I carry 10 mags, so I don't really need to carry many more.

In other news, I just zip-tied my knife under my mag pouches and stowed all but one roll of e-Tape, and that is zip-tied next to my Admin panel.

hmm....Someone trying to copy a marine loadout disagrees with an actual Marine on how to set it up.......

No offense to Joe, but he isn't Force Recon and not everyone would set it up the same way irregardless of being a Marine or not. It's fine impression wise, people are just offering him what they feel would be more practical. It's modular for a reason.

hmm....Someone trying to copy a marine loadout disagrees with an actual Marine on how to set it up.......

On what we are actually debating, the usefulness of certain setups for airsofting, I don't think it makes all that much of a difference what one's background is. I wouldn't be surprised if Crunchy got to play airsoft and experiment with that personal setup a lot more than anyone in active service (something about free time, and not being shot at). Obviously no disrespect to Joe (or any other Marine) intended. :)

At the same time, I would also recommend moving the Ifak closer to the front (at least somewhere reachable by you). You may not plan on using it on yourself, but having seen a decent number of injuries (a few to myself), I don't see why you should have that tool inaccessible.

For technical details about military use, or or what works for saving lives when getting shot amounts to more than shouting hit Joe would be very near the top of the list of people I would ask, as his experience in that area is vastly superior to anything I have to offer.

Besides, I wouldn't need to access my own IFAK, because someone else would use it on me.

Really? Have you ever heard of "Self-aid, Buddy-aid, Corpsman-aid" The point of the individual first aid kit is that if you are injured you can apply first aid to yourself right away. This is of course if you are in any condition to do so. It's silly to think that you are going to be the first person being helped by the Corpsman. I have had friends who have been in the thick, one being shot in the back and neck and being 3rd on the list of people to see medical attention. Would you really want to have to wait for someone else to come over to you before you could get any type of first aid?

Honestly I think for your kit, I would get a map, put that tape in your pocket. Put the knife somewhere else or get a switch blade, which is very common for Marines to have. Get rid of that camelbak, then have your IFAK on your first line or make it accessible to actually be used. But of course, you are using it for AS and it's all personal preference.

Picture of said Marine.

080328-m-4023m-002.jpg

Really? Have you ever heard of "Self-aid, Buddy-aid, Corpsman-aid" The point of the individual first aid kit is that if you are injured you can apply first aid to yourself right away. This is of course if you are in any condition to do so. It's silly to think that you are going to be the first person being helped by the Corpsman. I have had friends who have been in the thick, one being shot in the back and neck and being 3rd on the list of people to see medical attention. Would you really want to have to wait for someone else to come over to you before you could get any type of first aid?

Honestly I think for your kit, I would get a map, put that tape in your pocket. Put the knife somewhere else or get a switch blade, which is very common for Marines to have. Get rid of that camelbak, then have your IFAK on your first line or make it accessible to actually be used. But of course, you are using it for AS and it's all personal preference.

Picture of said Marine.

_snip_

+1, you are unlikely to get shot or anything of that caliber, but certainly serious injuries do happen. Hyper extension, large cuts, sprains, breaks, eye injuries etc. I personally received a 1-2 inch cut on my hand on one of my early games, because I had a comprehensive kit I could get to I was able to the same standard EMTs would have, and keep it from bleeding profusely for the rest of the day. Had I been unable to handle it immediately myself I would have had to halt the game, locate another (besides myself) First Aid/EMT trained person, and would have been in danger of blood-loss related concerns.

Now I understand that you have a kit, but having it out of reach can be very dangerous in those first few important moments of an accident. If an injury can't be stabalized immediately you usually risk it getting far worse.

I guess you right, i have it mounted on the back mostly because I tried it on my belt and even with zip ties to support it it would flop and slide around a ton, and there's no room on the front, obviously (I should have gotten a *fruitcage* RRV......). I'll pick up a belt pad and then try it again on my 1st Line, see if that will help. I don't see why I would get rid of that Camelback, I saw that same one and the CB one in use by Marines in that Alpha Company documentary. I moved the knife underneath the mag pouches, so I'll give that a shot.

IMG_5592.jpg

Yay boots! I love the look of the S2v's and I needed to replace my Bates since they were really worn (and I didn't feel like paying $75 to have them resole'd and I can't find the link). I should've gotten a size 10 or even a 9.5, but I suppose these 10.5's will do. So if anyone wants to swap me sizes, let me know lol.

No offense to Joe, but he isn't Force Recon and not everyone would set it up the same way irregardless of being a Marine or not. It's fine impression wise, people are just offering him what they feel would be more practical. It's modular for a reason.

yeah, no worries. i agree, its for airsoft, and its still perfectly acceptable impression wise.

of course there are things i would recommend for his kit, and that was one of them; but its his kit, and he can do what he wants.

-Joe

I guess you right, i have it mounted on the back mostly because I tried it on my belt and even with zip ties to support it it would flop and slide around a ton, and there's no room on the front, obviously (I should have gotten a *fruitcage* RRV......). I'll pick up a belt pad and then try it again on my 1st Line, see if that will help. I don't see why I would get rid of that Camelback, I saw that same one and the CB one in use by Marines in that Alpha Company documentary. I moved the knife underneath the mag pouches, so I'll give that a shot.

Why not just drop that stuff off the kit? It isn't a must to have it on, my buddy in 4th Recon doesn't wear one. The reason I said switch the camelbak is because yours is huge and just takes up all that MOLLE space. You can't carry anything else on your back. With a MAP you can stow stuff in there like whatever is on your first line. Then just rock a IFAK on the back of your 1st line belt.

Think of it in terms of priority.

What do you need immediate access to most of the time? Ammunition for shooting, communication for talking (and diagnosing comm issues), and documentation (maps, notepads). Remember this is a thread about RECON. Recon isn't just about shooting, it is about theoretically taking down notes and observations. Then communicating what you've seen to higher. Lastly, shooting.

Of course how much recon you'll do as an airsofter is questionable, but if you're trying to emulate Force Recon try to get into your mindset the mission of such a group. Recon operators are there to recon, so if they carry the gear to do so and you want to be accurate, so should you.

Everything else is a lesser priority. That's not to say you should put your IFAK in a place totally inaccessible, like Fatal says just put it on the back of your belt like MFR does. If you got shot somewhere (hopefully not in the IFAK), then you can twist that belt around and bam there is your IFAK.

Remember whatever is on the front of your vest is going to brushing up with stuff like your arms, weapons, other people, and surfaces. It sure would suck to get something (like the 550 cord securing your tape) caught on a branch or restrict the movement of your weapon.

Generally loose, floppy things things should be stowed or tucked away somewhere not dangling freely in the breeze. Knives (and this goes for tools) should be in a place that is easy to reach with one hand and out of the way of other stuff.

Get a MAP and use that. It is sturdier, more secure, and you can put things in it.

It's just common sense and tactical consideration, really.

Archived