Walther WA2000 Build

dobey

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I presume you used thick-wall tubing for the outer barrel Dobey (I.e. you didn't bore it out of a solid bar)?

Did it machine OK without a travelling steady?

Spot on. It was 1 inch outer diameter with 1/4 inch walls so it was plenty stiff for the cutting, I just took it easy on how much I removed each pass.

Looking great, how much is the powder coating costing all together?

I powder coat it myself, 1 can of ultra flat black powder cost me around $10.00 and can do several guns. It is actually less expensive than a can of aerosol paint, the people at the powder coat places just don't want you to know it.

It is all together right now with stainless screws, the owner wants black oxide coated stainless so they are inc, should be here tomorrow and I will post pics of it all at once.

I use this equipment:

http://www.caswellplating.com/powder/index.html

These guys have a shipping store right down the road from me, so I can just drive over and pic up anything I need. My oven is not that large, I built it myself using the elements from two electric toaster ovens for cooking, and built the body of it from sheet steel. It is about 12 inchesX12 inchesX4 feet. Perfect for my airsoft sized parts.

I have never used the alumahyde stuff. I almost always polish, powder coat, anodize, or Krylon the parts I make. I like powder coating the best, it is fast, cheap, easy, and very very durable. In fact it is so tough I cringe if I mess something up and have to strip it off, media blasting is about the only way to get it all off again. Anodizing is excellent as well but much more labor intensive, and much less forgiving on the color matching side of things.

I'm going to have to look into that myself but I'll bet it's not as cheap to get the equipment over here in Rip-Off Britain * <_<:P

Isn't there a powder coating method where you 'dip' the part(s) (which are pre-heated) into the powder, instead of spraying it on? :unsure:

* Edit; Glad I didn't make any rash comments about hat eating... :rolleyes:

£130 powder-coat starter kit...

It is a sniper .... why can that not be a springer?

Only kids use high-caps and think about ROF when using a sniper. Just my opinion.

sorry, but did you even read this thread or know what a WA2000 is?

15 rounds is hardly a hi-cap, and for a replica of a semi auto rifle i dont think it's unreasonable to not want to cock it after every shot <_<

Would you hate me if you can just buy this replica --> http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airs...il?prodID=10961

Here you go:

http://www.boomarms.com/sc/viewproductdeta...p?ProductID=113

Only $1,800! Plus shipping and VAT.

I actually had a chance to hold the Geneth. The wood felt cheaper than the Asahi. I wasn't too impressed with it.

If I recall, nobody has them in stock anymore, not the Geneth not the Asashi.

These kind of replica's are sold out at the speed of light. (All it takes is building a limited amount. :D )

That's the main reason (apart from the price) why people build it from scratch.

Boomarms may say it's 'in stock', but most of us know what it's like with webshops and 'in stock' items <_<

Especially with limited editions!

Unless somebody emailed them for confirmation. :)

Anyways, you sir, are making a beauty, that's for sure. ;)

Here are some first assembly pics, none of the moving parts are in it at this stage, just checking how it all fits after powder coating. I just tossed one of my scopes on there to see how it will look with optics.

test-fit-001.jpg

test-fit-002.jpg

test-fit-003.jpg

I played with the size of the trademarks for a while and got it the way I like. I will make the WA2000 a bit bigger on the real side plates but here is a test cut:

trades-1.jpg

I will have to cut the real things in the morning, the snow is getting bad enough that I need to head home or I will be sleeping in the shop all night.

That looks amazing, Dobey. Very good job. The stripling sort of threw off the photo a bit for me, but I can imagine how it would look without the flash on. It reminds me of ornately carved lever action rifles from old west movies. The trademarks are, of course, top notch and very impressive. Will you take more pictures of the final product once the trademarks are done?

Archived