WW2 Kit Discussion

PrivateCobb

They're still being produced you know. It would be a trajedy to mark up a WWII era weapon for airsoft, but not a 2000 production peice.

You're probably thinking of Springfield Armory's recent run of "new" Garands. What they do for those Garands is they manufacture a barrelled receiver and a stock - and then they dig around in surplus stockpiles for all the other parts and refurbish them until they appear good as new. There is no such thing as a 100% new Garand anymore. Partially new, but not 100% new.

And about still being "pretty available for purchase"... not quite true either. The CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) has for decades been the primary source, of M1 Garands to the public. They split their Garands into different categories depending on their condition. There is Field Grade, Rack Grade, Service Grade, Correct Grade, and Collector's Grade. They are completely sold out out Collector, Correct, and Service Grade. They are nearly sold out of Field Grade. The only Garands they have left in large numbers are Rack Grade, and Rack Grade Garands are in pretty bad condition. The only large source of Garands anymore is buying used from other shooters. Sure, there are little dealers scattered around the country that sell Garands, but they are often priced at RIDICULOUS prices. For example, Fulton Armory (www.fultonarmory.com) sells a basic Garand for $1400, and their premium version is nearly $2100!

But hey, that's enough about firearms. Let's post some more pics! :D

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haha.  Please note: No fully assembled garands were harmed in the making of these airsoft guns. 

Guiness, yes I'm REMF's son.  I'm kind of his liasson on Arnies.

You know I have been trying to drag your old man into the 21st century kicking and screaming all the way :P

While your still home could ya maybe set him up with a MSN instant message account and get him set up here on Arnies?

;)

-G

I'm captivated by the canvas/leather lace-up additions to what would otherwise be a nice Sten MkV. What are they and what are they for? I dont recall ever seeing them on an original.

I'm not totally up on the details of airsoft but I do have a fair knowledge of WW2 kit esp. British Airborne and these are new to me. Always willing to learn.

With 4 million Garands built in the course of the war I doubt the 50 to 100 parts sets cannabalized to build these is going to have any impact on the historical pool. So far dad's got a ways to go to get to the the 50 he's targeted for production to satisfy the WW2 airsoft community. They come out pretty decent and feel awesome. The picture of the four in line depicts all of the available base gun variations done so far, G&G, Double eagle, Marui and Airsoft Club. The grouping also shows some of the variations in shades of wood. He tries to match everything so they end up looking like battle rifles rather then fresh new, perfectly restored wall hangers.

receiverclose.jpg

The shortened clips (12 to 14 rounds) don't mount completely flush which is kind of a shame but they produce the intended effect and still fit in the Garand ammo belt pouches. Instructions on how to build more come with the gun. I'm not into old guns but they feel like a rifle and are fun to shoot. They're solid, feature lots of wood and real steel and go well with the WW2 reenactor look where Thompsons are way too prevalent and modern M16 style guns just kinda ruin it for the effect.

DSC05202.jpg

He had a couple marushin gas Blow backs but just didn't find them practical enough for competitive skirmishing. These are reliable, shoot great and allow you to hold your own in a game. (Albeit long and heavy!) he's also building a couple spring powered Springfields using cannabalized real parts.

Garandproneinsnow-1.jpg

He's gearing up for the local annual WW2 battle of Bulge airsoft game Long Winter put on by Battlesim.com There will be probably 40 players in full impressions, lots of vehicles and increasingly more and more authentic weapons as well.

• 2 weeks later...
I thought that the Smirk had fallen into disuse among German service personnel in late 1943.

:pirate:®

Yeah- I think it was replaced by the frown, or if you were on the Eastern front, the grimmace and wince.

;)

-G

Guiness, if that's one of the chinese mp40's, then you've done a beautiful job on it!

Why thank you...:blush:

And yes..er uh I mean Ja! es ist ein Chinese clone :P

Which made it easier to 'experiment' on I'll tell you- The whole time I was madly dremelling away at the receiver I was thinking to myself "If I screw it up, I'm not out much"

I think it turned out pretty well.

I'll post more pics once I lose the farby fire selector knob on the side there- :rolleyes:

-G

If you're into WW2 you may enjoy this video clip showing medic rules and a little WW2 airsoft game play with a tank!!!

This is all fro prep for a WW2 big game event in the Pacific NW (USA) at the end of the month. It's shaping up to be a really impressive event.

Be patient it loads slow but is worth the wait.

http://www.battlesim.com/battlesim/forums/...opic.php?t=6756

• 3 weeks later...

Archived