Jump to content

Home Made & Hand Made Guns

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The PKM was put together from bulgarian, hungarian, and handmade parts.

The donor was an A+K M249, also used some KLS parts.

Barrel, trunion, receiver, feed tray, feedcover, flash hider, trigger box was machined precisely to fit the internals.

A hopup chamber adapter was added, and the whole hopup unit is contained inside the outer barrel.

All the controls work (safety, charging handle, feed cover and tray, quick barrel change).


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Not as good as the other scratch built Owen i've seen, but as it was built on a very tight budget, relatively pleased with it:


It was working, but it keeps having little glitches and i've run out of patience to keep fixing them (to be fair it's only really been 1 that keeps giving me trouble, a tiny spring that keeps slipping out of place.

It's for sale if anyone's interested in finishing it off:




Edited by mikoyan99
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So here's my "I made an M2HB" story. ;)


About a year or so ago I got the urge to knock up an M2HB that could be easily mounted onto what was effectively a golf buggy. After all, why wouldn't you?

And came up with this. Brutally hacked from some MDF. It had an AK gearbox stuffed inside it, and an ammo feed sytem that fed from the 50cal ammo box via some fish tank PVC hose. It worked, just about, and it wasn't pretty.




I left it at that for a while, partly because the golf cart broke down and removed the need for it, and partly because I needed to have a think on how to improve it.

About a year later, or a couple of months ago, I got asked in work if I could get my hands on a replica M2HB for around £500. I work at a games company, and they wanted one as a bit of set dressing and for mo cap, so it needed to be fairly functional. So after a bit of web trawling, I realised that there wasnt much out there in that price range that was all that great, so I might as well have another go at it.


One trip to the DIY store later and I had a whole load of MDF and a plan. The short version is I trawled the web looking for real steel drawings and images, then set to work designing a vesion that could be fabricated using 5mm material as much as possible. For those of you who give a damn, it was designed in 3D Studio Max 7. I printed out a bunch of templates and went to work with my trusty circular saw and dremmel. This was the end result.





This was ok, and came in at under £100 for a few sheets of MDF and some PVC tubing, but it's not an M2HB if it can be used as a flotation device. I figured it needed to be metal. So after a few tweaks to the plan I set about re building it in aluminium and steel. Aluminium to keep the weight a bit lower and steel for the barrel section. I found a company who do laser cutting and got them to cut the sheet parts in 5mm aluminium, with a couple of bits in 10mm, like the charge handle and the front of the reciever. Once the parts turned up, it was 3 days or so of drilling, tapping, filing and finally spraying and it was job done.












I was going to leave it un painted for that metal look and give it a good wire brushing to make it nice n matt, but the aluminium was all different shades and some of the un avoidable screw heads made it look a bit too much like it was built from a scrap yard, so it got sprayed battle ship grey with matt metal paint.









The side plate was left un sprayed partly for looks, and partly so you could still opperate the charge handle.


So what's next? I've got a gearbox from an M249, plans for an auto feed mag I've designed and a hop and barrel system.

Externally, I'd like to change the handles for something better, I think the pine doweling brings it down a bit and I've got to make some link strippers.

Lessons learned? You can only get so far with MDF, but it is a very usefull prototyping material. M3 Taps do not like clumsy hands. Laser cut aluminium is better at 5 mil than at 10 mil. The total cost (not including replacing broken taps and blunted drill bits) £530. Though to be fair, that doesn't cover the design, the r n d or labour costs and so far the internals haven't gone in.

Link to post
Share on other sites

To build from scratch, roughly as follows


8hrs cad time to design.

16 hrs for the prototype.

About a week to get the laser cut parts back and 16-24 hrs build time for the last version. Most of the time was taken up with tapping out dozens of M3 holes and making the sights which I'd some how completely forgotten about until the last minute. :rolleyes:


The laser cutters was Charles Day steel in Shefield http://www.daysteel.co.uk/ it was a whole lot cheaper to get the flat aluminium cut than the tubing. Approximately it was £200 for the flat sheet cuts and £300 for the barrel section. In retrospect I could probably get the tube cut sections done a lot cheaper, it was only really the heat shield that needed to be laser cut.


I want to get some walnut or cherry and a lath and re make the grips. I could stain the pine darker, but it'd still look like pine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and the use of session cookies.