RAV/Paraclete Discussion

Troubadour

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since the RAV thread in the picture section got utterly destroyed and us RAV'ers no longer have a special place for our little babies, I pleaded with Hoppum to give us back our thread, but instead he suggested I was allowed to make a new one in Gear Discussion.

So here it is, discuss the RAV and other Paraclete related products in this thread.

The first question I have, as it is something I am struggling with... Making a RAV seem complete, there are so much more on these buggers it is often hard to make it seem complete. Something I have taken up doing is putting little nick-nacks on there like sharpies, glowsticks, radio mics, etc etc etc

Any tips?

(Any discussion concerncing RAV and posting pictures of your RAV or other RAVs is allowed here and encouraged)

Well the obvious choice for the back of the HPC really is a hydro carrier as long as you don't mind it sticking out past the bottom of the HPC, and you can always share the MOLLE loops used by the cummerbund straps if you need to. If you don't want to do that you could always put a SAW pouch (Some of the smaller.. 100 round? pouches are three columns wide) at the bottom to carry extra M4 magazines for yourself or a buddy. You could also put one of these on the front of the carrier beneath the cummerbund to free up some pouch space. That might help reduce the profile of the carrier and make it feel less overloaded at the front.

You can't do that on the original Paraclete HPCs, I can tell you :(

EDIT: As for the RAV.. well, I don't know how useful they really are, but I always think that no RAV looks complete without a back panel :)

But what the well can I fit on the back without interfereing with the cummerbund?!

Well the obvious choice for the back of the HPC really is a hydro carrier as long as you don't mind it sticking out past the bottom of the HPC

EDIT: As for the RAV.. well, I don't know how useful they really are, but I always think that no RAV looks complete without a back panel :)

I'm looking at picking up a HPC with Cummerbund for a PJ impression and have been pondering the same issue about what exactly to mount on the back of the HPC, as Siygess said a hydro carrier is the obvious choice (I've run the Eagle low profile hydro carrier on my Plate Carrier and retro fit cummerbund). However, in the case of the HPC I would say do not get the Paraclete hydro carrier as this does not really have a low enough profile. Looking through reference pics for my PJ impression many of them seem to run what looks like the Blackhawk one.

As for the RAV, given it's size I'd probably get the Paraclete hydro carrier and then mount some additional mag/flashbang pouches on the back for CQB. Another alternative to this would to be see about the DBT Assaulters Panel. This gives you the ability to even carrier a sledgehammer or boltcutters.

I actually almost nabbed an assault kit back panel, but I unfortunately slept in and missed my friends message that there was one for sale. I think I got beat out by like one hour before I woke up, someone had taken it off the guys hand. I pretty much stay tuned to ar15.com waiting for another one to pop-up. I am going through painfully slow negotiations with this guy for a triple-mag velcro shingle.

I've been struggling with my decision here guys, I want to get a Pantac RAV, but I read a review that said the "Olive Drab color was gross in certain light". Is this truth? And can you guys show me pictures of bare Pantac RAVs? In OD of course.

EDIT: To see if I can help at all here...

I think this would look at home on an HPC

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...Other%20Pouches

I recently picked up a flyye RAV, ill try to get some pics up once i find my camera.

For that price you should get a BHI Hydrastorm Side Pack

[link]

Siygess, very nice :) ! Similar to what I'm intending to run for my PJ impression, except I'm going for the Medium/Long for the extra row of PALS webbing on the bib and the fact that I'm using medium repro plates. How do you find the cummerbund? A team mate said he didn't get on with his, and this lead to him selling the HPC.

Yeah I wish mine was a medium long for the extra coverage and the extra row of MOLLE but.. it was all that was available at the time unless I wanted to buy it new (although by the time postage was included from the US seller, it probably would have cost me no more than £30 extra to get one new in any size. Doh!). As for the cummerbund I always planned on removing it and replacing it with a TT Mav for my own PJ impression, but my observations are:

o) It's a pain in the *albatross* to do the cummerbund up. If you want it to fit flat against the velcro then it needs to be quite tight.. but then it's difficult to pull the ends of the cummerbund together because it keeps catching on the velcro. Okay it's not that big a deal, I suppose, but I do find it annoying.

o) It has the potential to sag. This won't be an issue with a new HPC because the velcro will be newer / stronger and if you get a genuine Paraclete HPC it will have the snaps to hold the cummerbund in place. My HPC is one of the older models without the snaps, sadly.

Actually the pictures of Senior Airman Patrick are the ones I'm basing my particular loadout on but it's actually a pretty common setup. In fact I would go so far as to say that it's rarer to see a PJ wearing a HPC with cummerbund on it's own. The Eagle RRV, BHI LBE and TT MAV are all seen quite frequently in place of (or addition to) the cummerbund.

Archived