Does F.P.S. Matter?

greg

As long as everyone's on equal footing its fine. I played a game where everyone bar one person was the same and that one person had a hot gun. sucked cos he could outrange everyone, and he was a trigger happy mo fo...

However if i was playing with a sniper who was using a bolt action running much hotter than all the other guns i wouldnt mind so much.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As long as everyone's on equal footing its fine. I played a game where everyone bar one person was the same and that one person had a hot gun. sucked cos he could outrange everyone, and he was a trigger happy mo fo...

However if i was playing with a sniper who was using a bolt action running much hotter than all the other guns i wouldnt mind so much.

We use different limits for regular rifles, support weapons and sniper weapons. It helps with what you're talking about.

We are having this debate in our state here at the moment. All of the older guys that have been playing for a long time want lower fps, while all of the younger players want higher fps games and even no limit games.

I've been playing for about 10 years now and have had everything from a really really really old tm gun that was shooting about 220fps to a super upgraded gun that was doing almost 500fps. All I can say is that I play much better with a lower fps gun that is well tuned. My last aeg was a TM g3a4 that was tuned to 330fps with .2's and because of the set up it easily outranged all of the new guys chinese guns on the field.

Look at it this way, airsoft, like everything else in the world has a learning curve. Would you rather start out learning on the worlds greatest gear then be dependent on it? Or would you rather start on some not so great get and become a very good, solid player? As for the ability to be able to dodge a bb in the air, remember that airsoft is hardly military simulation, even with the most upgrades you could do, its no where close to real. Dodging bb's, and timing your shots is simply another skill on that "airsoft learning curve."

As for high fps, I really dislike it after I took a ptw at 550 from 10 feet away and had to take about 5 bb's out of my arm.

I like the area of 330-350fps. You get your gun to run very reliably for a very long time, and the performance is just right too, meaning people won't die even if you peppered them accidentally point blanc. When you step up to 400fps, the reliability and longevity of internals is almost instantly lowered, most people don't like the sting at closer ranges either. I must say I sometimes enjoy the slightly better range, penetration power and velocity of higher fps guns though. :)

Both My VFC SCARs ( one H one L ) run at about 270 ish and i've outranged guns running at around 350 ( clones and 2tones admittedly) so i would say hop and consistency are just as, if not more important than straight FPS.

We are having this debate in our state here at the moment. All of the older guys that have been playing for a long time want lower fps, while all of the younger players want higher fps games and even no limit games.

Funny that, the recent debate on the subject here in Norway was remarkably similar.

I dont know, in my years of gearbox work and playing (which admitedly isnt much compared to the peeps here) there is an ideal FPS for range and accuracy and it's about 380give or take 5 FPS with any given weight. From my experience running around with my CA M14 at 550FPS, it was very innaccurate at ranges even with .30's. Even my ICS M4 at 400 was innacurate at ranges. The reason I later found out was that the BB's destabalize more violently the higher FPS you have at the end of hte flight path, causing some strange shots to be flat and good up untill the end where it just explodes into a different direction. Now skip forward a bit to my G&G M14 Veteran, which chronos at 383 with .25's and is my DMR rifle. That gun is a tack driver. The BB's sail out and basically the same flight path to about 200 feet and then basically drop out of the air in that same path. Any higher and it becomes sporatic again.

Any lower FPS you obviously lose some range.

Do I think FPS matters? Somewhat, it depends on your play style. For me I'm more of a DMR than I am a grunt or Sniper so a little extra FPS to carry it that little bit of range past the standard AEG player.

That said, I've played games with 280 FPS CYMA AK's and done just as well as people with upgraded guns, so it's all in the mindset. Any good player will adapt to their gun, be it LPEG or 550FPS sniper rifle.

I'm a fan of the usual 1J limit on UK sites for AEGs. It's fast enough to hit at range, hard enough to notice the hit but not so hard as to injure. My main gun is a 275 TM AK and I'm perfectly happy with it.

Because of the longer ranges involved and the single shots, bolt snipers should be higher, otherwise they are not accurate enough for the role and if you hit someone theres a good chance they won't feel it (450 seems about right)

If you need an AEG doing more then 350fps to make a kill you are doing something wrong. The problem is between your ears and not within your replica. Either tactically your doing it the wrong way or your replica is just bad quality. The same goes if you need the "spray and pray" tactics you better stick to computer games or you might consider the greater rules of airsoft and some tactics.

Snipers doing 500 fps is ok for me but the minimum range they are allowed top shoot at you is longer (20 meters for us).

You want to do no limits? You have watched Jackass too many times.

Most of my guns are at 350-360 with .25

I dont find going over that adds anything to the gameplay element that wasnt there before. Squad tactics and fieldcraft are infinetly more essential than the FPS your AEG shoots at.

Its all in the hopup

Because of the longer ranges involved and the single shots, bolt snipers should be higher, otherwise they are not accurate enough for the role and if you hit someone theres a good chance they won't feel it (450 seems about right)

I suppose it depends on the site, but most of the places we play have the snipers set pretty far back. It's 550fps for them here.

My regular site has a 350FPS limit, and I reckon that's just about perfect, for woodland at least.

Only one of my AEGs runs at around that limit, 340~ish, and has very good range and accuracy.

The rest vary from 250~ish (MP7), up to around 320, and I'm happy to play with any of them at any site.

If an AEG is set-up well, good consistent compression, good hop, tightbore (not essential but nice to have), and well maintained (for consistency), then I don't think it's that important what the actual power is.

As some have mentioned already, it's very satisfying to get some clean kills with a relatively underpowered gun, be it a springer, gas pistol or AEG.

Unfortunately, there are quite a few players who don't seem to be able to enjoy Airsofting unless the have a hot gun with a ridiculous ROF, and a stack of hi-caps <_<:rolleyes:

Great fun getting them with a <300FPS gun on semi though :P .

to me its pretty important because i prefer to take people out from a distance, and it needs to get to them and they need to feel it. Also, shooting through brush is impossible if your fps is low. Still, lets just say youre choosing between a tightbore or and fps upgrade, i would go with the tightbore.

I use the analogy of cars to explain FPS (mainly to myself)

Young men as it were tend to buy fast cars, and like going fast in them and generally pratting about. Older gents may still have that fast car, but tend to be more incontrol through years of practise.

Airsoft FPS is the same, young kids tend to think moar fps is moar kills ammirite? But the older gents tend to use their rifles well and still collect up more hits.

Analogies a little off, but hey, i've just played a hockey game where I play right back-wing forward.

Not that I haven't wondered what a game with 500fps aegs would be like - (curiosity hurt the cat I guess :P ) Would the extra oomph and accuracy (heavier ammo) mean it was more (for want of a better word) realistic - less bb hosing and more considered shots?

In my experience, it's quite the opposite... People almost always over estimate their guns' ability - and as FPS limits climb, their confidence greatly exceeds the realistic limitations of their guns...

So you end up with even more BB hosing, since people are convinced the person they're shooting at is inside their effective range and just not calling their hits. Which in turn makes people want to push the FPS limits even higher "so those @!#*$% cheaters call their !$@#*& hits!" It turns into an endless arms race with no winners and lots of losers.

I've been playing for about 10 years now and have had everything from a really really really old tm gun that was shooting about 220fps to a super upgraded gun that was doing almost 500fps. All I can say is that I play much better with a lower fps gun that is well tuned. My last aeg was a TM g3a4 that was tuned to 330fps with .2's and because of the set up it easily outranged all of the new guys chinese guns on the field.

Quoted for truth!

As the only MFer crazy enough to run through an entire Lion Claws OP (LC7) with an AEP as a primary (Vz61), I really am convinced that FPS isn't nearly as important as a good barrel, a good hop up, and (most importantly) a good head on your shoulders!

i upgrade my guns to shoot hot, and i leave some lower. the reason i up some of them is cause it helps, its truly helps. if you get a gun shooting 300 and a gun shooting 400 with the same hop up components and barrel, the one shooting faster will go farther. it may be marginal, but that may be the difference between hitting the guy from the tree your standing behind, or having to run to the tree 15 feet in front of you.

another thing is intimidation. most people dont want to get shot by a hot gun. i was at a friendly private game a while ago with a bunch of people i konw, and i was using my CA mp5 shooting 390ish at 26rps. i told a few key people that i what i was about to do, just so they wouldnt make me use a different gun. but i told everyone i slapped a M160 in my gun, and i was shooting a it over 500fps, and still maintained my 26rps. everyone was *suitcase* themselves when i got within 300ft of them. sometimes, theyd be behind a big tree, and id fire a burst at the tree, NONE OF THE BBS HIT THE PERSON, and theyd call HIT HIT. just because they didnt want to get lit up at 500+fps.

now, this all came back to bite me when a noob father with too much money saw how amazing my mp5 was, and thought it was due to teh 500+fps. so he went out and bought 3 new TM m4s for himself, his wife, and his daughter, and had someone install a M150 in it stock. no other upgrades, just teh M150. all three guns broke withing a highcap at the next game.

it was a little experiment i did, and it truly shows that fps makes some people *suitcase* themselves and not wanna poke their heads out from cover.

i currently have a VFC 416 running a SP130 at 19rps, and it performs spectacularly, if you got another gun just like it with a SP100, mine would go farther.

now, just because your gun shoots fast, doesnt mean your gonna tear up the field. ive seen a good player with a WELL mp5 destroy doods with raped G&Gs and CAs, ect. had the player been using a G&G instead of the WELL, he wouldve done much better, but none the less, he got the job done fine with teh WELL.

There is one more thing. When we play in Belgium and an AEG is shooting 360fps or more you can not carry it into the field. If a marshall measures you during the day and your AEG is doing 360fps you are off the field. If you get cought 2 or three times within a group of organisers with a hot AEG you are not allowed to enter any skirm these organisers schedule. An absolute max of 360fps is enough. If you really need a hot AEG to make your kills you are just a bad player and you should be working on improving your skills rather then improving on your AEG.

It's the same in the UK meppie, anyone caught using a hot gun is asked to put it back in it's bag at the very least, some organisers might even tell you to leave their site and not come back...ever.

Also, I think anything full auto and over 370 FPS is technically a section 5 firearm, as I understand it (sure someone can clarify :unsure: ), and you don't want to be caught with one of those, unless you like prison food :P:o

site limit where i play is 370 fps, my gun fires at 365 - 375 when chronoed. nice n simple your gun should fire in the upper end of the site limit to remain competitive that is not to say players with skill and a lower fps can not achieve as many kills i have a dodgey galaxy mp7 that now fires at 90 fps its dead/dying but ive still used it to just charge up close and once there its damned good. as a side due to owning this i have a damned long rifle so whenever its time to enter and clear structures this comes out its perfect for getting from room to room and down corridors

Archived