Car keys

vargojones

I'm not sure it's wise to hand your keys to a marshal to look after.

The marshals (usually) move around with the game and they're as likely (or not) to lose keys in exactly the same way you would yourself.

If there's somebody permanently in the SZ or wherever then fair enough.

I'm surprised more people aren't admitting they leave their keys hidden up their exhaust pipe or on top of one of their wheels etc.

I'm also surprised so many people bother to take their mobile phones into a game.

Personally, I reckon a zipped pouch is as good as anywhere.

Oh, also cut out all the arguments, insults and other bullsh*t please.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously, if anyone really needs any of the advice in the last three pages, then you shouldn't be allowed a butter knife, nevermind an airsoft gun. (I'm now doomed to losing my keys at the next skirmish).

(does this count as an insult?)

Seriously, if anyone really needs any of the advice in the last three pages, then you shouldn't be allowed a butter knife, nevermind an airsoft gun. (I'm now doomed to losing my keys at the next skirmish).

To be fair, there's always the chance that somebody out there has some whizzbang idea which nobody else has ever thought of.

I work in an industry where we're always leaving vehicles in places where they need to be secure but accessible by authorised people.

It rarely gets more complex than simply stuffing the keys up the exhaust pipe though.

*EDIT*

FWIW, if your car ever gets stolen the police will always ask you for the keys.

If you can't produce the keys the police might suspect the car was stolen using the keys and this WILL affect any insurance claim you make.

Even if your car was hot-wired and stolen, if the keys were stashed up the tailpipe then you probably won't be able to find them and show them to the police.

Sooo, although it's probably easiest to leave the keys hidden on the vehicle somewhere it's going to cause you a problem if the vehicle gets stolen.

To be honest, that's another reason not to give keys to a marshal IMO. regardless of honestly, motive or opportunity, if your car is broken into or stolen while somebody else is holding the keys they're going to be under suspicion.

Personally, I'd rather not put anybody in that position so I'd always prefer to be responsible for my own keys.

Yhea gotta agree, trust no one, that way if your kit does get stolen at least you have done everything you can to try and prevent it.

I always put all my unused gear in the boot and lock the doors when leaving the safezone.

Wow 10K worth of gear, in a tent, unsupervised! I just couldn't bring myself to do that.

I think somebody else mentioned it but does anybody use the safe key box which you attach to the underside of your car?

I think the surf community use these things but many don't as apparently they are very easy to break into.

In all fairness Carrion you can't really call somebody an idiot and then proceed to make numerous basic engrish mistakes in the same post (especially when that person is obviously joking), and then expect people not to pick up on it.

i have language issues.

Bahahah sometimes I crack myself up. Sorry couldn't help myself :flamed: away!

Yhea gotta agree, trust no one, that way if your kit does get stolen at least you have done everything you can to try and prevent it.

I always put all my unused gear in the boot and lock the doors when leaving the safezone.

Wow 10K worth of gear, in a tent, unsupervised! I just couldn't bring myself to do that.

I think somebody else mentioned it but does anybody use the safe key box which you attach to the underside of your car?

I think the surf community use these things but many don't as apparently they are very easy to break into.

As people who know me will confirm, I have an ongoing thing where I purchase tickets to various festivals then the missus ends up going with a mate because I'm working.

It never ceases to amaze me that she just leaves all her stuff in her tent while she's going to watch bands or get pixied.

If it was me I'd be de-rigging my tent and carrying all my stuff around with me every time I went for a pee.

Probably just as well I've never actually made it to any of the events then!

I was gonna mention the magnetic key-boxes you can buy and stick underneath your car somewhere.

Only trouble is that the same thing applies as to other methods of leaving the keys at the vehicle. If it gets nicked you've lost the keys so the rozzers (and your insurance company) might accuse you of being responsible.

Depending on the situation, a slightly different idea might be to put your key in a box then stick it somewhere out of the way, like behind a drainpipe or to a fence-post or gate.

Even so, that's just adding another dimension of uncertainty IMO.

I really can't see why anybody would bother with anything besides sticking their keys in a suitable pouch.

I can see why surfers might struggle a bit more. Same thing with boatists. When you're messing about in water, especially salt water, there's a good chance you could do damage to the electrical trickery in your keys and render them unusable.

Unless you're a nutcase that's not really likely in airsoft though, is it?

boatists use little float canisters. pop the keys in, on a lanyard so it can be tied to stuffs in the boat (i used the mast in dingys, and the fridge in yaughts

yeah and th ebest bit of leaivng all that kit was that i felt totaly comfortable with the other 300 odd players there that weekend.

now at another site ive been too ive had more stuff nicked there than in the rest of my 14 years playing and i wont be heading there anytime soon. it was all small stuff easy to pocket and quite cheep but its a PITA when its stuff you have a use for. i ended up leaving everything in the car locked and had my keys in the top pocket of my M21 vest

It never ceases to amaze me that she just leaves all her stuff in her tent while she's going to watch bands or get pixied.

I padlock the zips. Not fool-proof as they could just slash the side but it's a bit of added security that will make a would be theif consider another tent instead of your own as it would be easier to do a tent no one has bothered to secure. I also seem to have 2 mates who won't even go see a band all weekend and just chill under the gazebo usually absolutely blatted, mind. :unsure:

Hmmm gazebo, the choice of the hardcore!

I do leave my stuff at festivals, but only because I have no choice in the matter, besides I don't take anything much besides food and beer :Zzz: .

To be honest when it comes security of belongings I get a bit paranoid, but I guess that just comes from gorwing up with thieving little scumbags.

Fortunately the remote on my keys is already *fruitcaged* so I just jam it up the arm of my wetsuit. But still end up a little worried if i'm at a new break, due to "localism" but thats a story for another thread/forum

i usually just put them in my center consol. my car has the combo pad on the door, so i can lock my keys in the car, and then if i need to get in, i just punch a few numbers and it unlocks.

but most of the games i go to are private-ish games with a good group of guys. i usually leave my car unlocked, keys in the center console, all the windows down, upper half of the rear hatch up (SUV). im really not concerned about someone stealing my car at a game. because people drive their own cars to games, so then if they steal mine....i get theirs.

i prolly should be a bit more careful with leaving my doors unlocked/windows down, as someone could easily walk by and grab a couple mags or a battery or possibly a gun. but i really dont worry about that at most of the places i play.

if i was worried about my car getting stolen and i didnt have the keypad combo for my doors, id prolly lock all my keys in the car except the actual car key, and then toss it in the stock or handguard.

I just leave my car keys in my bag in the safe zone along with my wallet, phone and anything else.

That's handy to know. :huh:

Where do you normally skirmish & when will you next be down? :lol:

Greg.

PS, different world, Gurnsey. ;)

I just leave my car keys in my bag in the safe zone along with my wallet, phone and anything else.

I also do just that, I have noticed most of the guys I skirmish with are quite trustworthy. Besides the guns I leave in the Safe zone are worth mor ethan my car so I am more worried about those than my car keys/wallet and phone

That's handy to know. :huh:

Where do you normally skirmish & when will you next be down? :lol:

Greg.

PS, different world, Gurnsey. ;)

I skirmish at battletec, next game is this Wednesday night. Big white one of a kind Land Rover Discovery. Currently got for sale stickers in the window :PThe Landy.

If I'm at a place where I feel no need to be concerned about my vehicle, I open the door to the gas cap and stick them in there. If I think there's a potential risk, they get tied onto my gear with a lanyard and then stuffed in a pouch or pocket somewhere.

I've got a wrist-mounted elastic wrap thingy that I slide a spare key into, and lock the car with the main set of keys or with the electronic lock. Then, if I need to get back into the car, I go to my wrist. Works well and is nice and secure. Don't always use it, though, as my 1961 has an internal pocket.

Wallet and phone go into the glove box.

For my car keys I attach a bright red lanyard and stuff them into a zippered pouch. I've never had a problem with losing my keys but if they fall out the red lanyard should make them much easier to spot in the woodland.

If I'm at a site where I know and trust the marshals (Combat South is a good example) I'd leave them at the sign-in desk, where they would be well looked after.

Of course, at the end of the day it's not unusual for me to pack my car keys along with my rig, usually at the bottom of the bag. Cue a lot of swearing and a whole bunch of unpacking/repacking before I can head home.

Sucks to be you lot.

I live in New Zealand. It's great.

If somebody nicks my car - there could be anywhere from 5-50 suspects, depending on where the game is being held. Most of the time, New Zealand players are trustworthy enough for me to just leave my valuables in my unlocked car, it helps that our basing areas are always off on private land somewhere.

Wow, I read through most of this thread and only a handfull of people put them in their pocket. I've never had a problem with putting them in my back pocket, and buttoning both buttons. I've also never had a problem with onsite theft, so I leave a little over a thousand dollars worth of gear and guns in the safezone (at one field, the other I don't, but it all depends on how far my car is). Wallet is also usually on me, if not, its in my bag with my phone at the safezone. Sometimes it worries me about the keys, but I haven't had a problem. Although I should carry a spare and maybe ziptie it.

Archived