AGM Gas-Blowback M4

j3T

Has anyone taken the mag apart yet? i got mine on friday, it work fine for about 5 fills now the gas just leaks straight out the valve where the gas comes out, i've taken it a part as much as i can but still can get access to the valve, anyone have any instruction for taking them apart, or even a youtube vid?

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has anyone taken the mag apart yet? i got mine on friday, it work fine for about 5 fills now the gas just leaks straight out the valve where the gas comes out, i've taken it a part as much as i can but still can get access to the valve, anyone have any instruction for taking them apart, or even a youtube vid?

Valve assembly just screws out the back.

Looks very much plastic to me? And someone said prime body fits, but you have to sand the bolt?

I've got Prime Magpul lower receiver and Prime MUR upper receiver for my AGM. I also use the RA-Tech NPAS Complete Bolt. Works fine, but the AGM Mag Catch assembly is a -very- tight fit into the Prime receiver. That part requires some sanding to ensure that it fits in smoothly. After that, the RA-Tech Bolt slides smoothly in the Prime Upper.

Yeah the fill valve does but not the release valve, thats the one that leaks

Err, which 'valve' are we talking about? If in fact these are direct WA clones then the entire strike valve should unscrew without disassembling the entire mag. You need a pair of pliers or something similar actually - just get a good grip on it and twist out. It might help if you take a picture of the one you're talking about so I know we're on the same page here.

A mate dropped off his new AGM GBB M4 at my office, unannounced, last week. I think he is hiding it from the girlfriend. I only had a chance to sneak it out of the office on Sunday.

Anyway. Initial observations:

1. Mag leaks at the primer valve. Lubed it with silicone spray and the leak has reduced to a soft hiss, barely audible.

2. Mag is bloody heavy, 800g empty. Feels over engineered. (I've not handled a WA so can't make comparison. Comments please.)

3. No play between upper and lower receiver, and looks almost seemless. That is a good sign.

4. The buffer spring snares and is very irritating. (Comments please.)

5. Bolt does not lock back when mag is empty. There is a lever on the mag above the primer valve that supposed to trigger the bolt-catch. However, it is fixed. There is a primer valve lock open catch, but I can't figure out why the valve needs to be locked open. There is also a mysterious sliding switch on the top of the mag that I can't figure out what it does at all.

6. the rear pin is the "never-lose" type. AGM hasn't cut corner. (Not popped the front pin yet.)

7. Can't set fire selector to safe unless trigger is cocked, like the real steel. Possible to fit an ambidextrous selector.

8. Trigger pull is a bit notchy.

I haven't had a chance to shoot at a decent distance so can't tell how good the grouping is yet.

Main woes are with the snaring buffer spring and the mysterious mag. Could someone explain the mag's features to me. I don't have the manual.

Erik.

7. Can't set fire selector to safe unless trigger is cocked, like the real steel. Possible to fit an ambidextrous selector.

Erik.

Just out of curiosity since many AGM users have both the WE and WA platforms as well... doesn't the WE also does this for safety?

5. Bolt does not lock back when mag is empty. There is a lever on the mag above the primer valve that supposed to trigger the bolt-catch. However, it is fixed. There is a primer valve lock open catch, but I can't figure out why the valve needs to be locked open. There is also a mysterious sliding switch on the top of the mag that I can't figure out what it does at all.

It you push the follower down a little and move the latch forward its supposed to lock the follower down so the bolt won't lock back and then you can dry fire the gun, since the bolt lock on the AGM mags doesn't seem to work to well its kind of pointless.

Managed to get my mag apart using this as a guide redwolf WA mag guide you do have to pull it apart to remove the strike valve.

A mate dropped off his new AGM GBB M4 at my office, unannounced, last week. I think he is hiding it from the girlfriend. I only had a chance to sneak it out of the office on Sunday.

Anyway. Initial observations:

1. Mag leaks at the primer valve. Lubed it with silicone spray and the leak has reduced to a soft hiss, barely audible.

2. Mag is bloody heavy, 800g empty. Feels over engineered. (I've not handled a WA so can't make comparison. Comments please.)

3. No play between upper and lower receiver, and looks almost seemless. That is a good sign.

4. The buffer spring snares and is very irritating. (Comments please.)

6. the rear pin is the "never-lose" type. AGM hasn't cut corner. (Not popped the front pin yet.)

8. Trigger pull is a bit notchy.

I haven't had a chance to shoot at a decent distance so can't tell how good the grouping is yet.

Main woes are with the snaring buffer spring and the mysterious mag. Could someone explain the mag's features to me. I don't have the manual.

Erik.

when you say the spring is snaring, do you mean vibrating off the inside of the buffer tube? mine does this too every now and then, i wraped some insulating tape around the middle of the spring though it it solved it straight away. its an odd one though, it didnt happen for the first few K rounds.

the little switch on the mag you are talking about, that pushes the bb follower down slightly in order to prevent the gun from locking back on the last round. a kinda dry fire mode.

be sure to give the barrel a good cleaning, mine was full of what looked like metal/brass filings. later on today im gonna sand and polish the inside upper reciever and the bolt to see how smooth i can get it running.

my mag leaked a slight bit too but i just pressed the valve and sprayed some oil in, job gone. it now holds gas over night with no loss. that switch on the magazine that keeps the valve open, the reason behind that is to releave the pressure on the valves seals to prevent them wearing out too quickly. :)

Snaring: yes, like the snares on the bottom of a drum that makes the "Saaaaahaaah......" sound. The M4 in my hands makes that sound every shot. I'd suppose lining the inside of the buffer tube with something so that there is no metal to metal contact when the spring relaxes would stop the snaring.

So, you've shot a few thousand rounds and the AGM is still alive? That is encouraging. For its price, I wouldn't complain if it amortises at 10p per shot :D

Will scrub the barrel out. Probably best not to push all the debris towards the hop up bucking. BTW, does the inner barrel come out easily? Since the M4 is not mine, I don't want to stripping it and break it.

I've done pretty much what you've done to the primer valve and it reduced the leak by a significant amount. It's probably just a bad o-ring.

Little sliding-switch on mag: is the dry-firing mode forward or rear-ward? I didn't make any difference for me either direction. I didn't notice the follower moving when I move the switch. Also, the lever that is supposed to trigger the bolt-catch is rigid, but I do see a hinge.

So, would you suggest a WE or this AGM?

Erik.

Mailed back Ebaybanned regarding the tracking number. Got this back:

"Please check it later

Cordially,

Jesse^_^"

Great help.. :P

That probably means they haven't shipped it out yet ;) I had one order for their PEQ-15 that wasn't actually shipped out for almost 3 weeks. Tbh, I am not sure just how accurate they are with their stock availability. However, I have always gotten my package within a month. (knocks on wood)

Anyways, I just ordered one of these suckers from Ebaybanned. To the people who tested this for thousands of rounds, was this on the AGM mags or on the WA/Other brand magazines?

That probably means they haven't shipped it out yet ;) I had one order for their PEQ-15 that wasn't actually shipped out for almost 3 weeks. Tbh, I am not sure just how accurate they are with their stock availability. However, I have always gotten my package within a month. (knocks on wood)

Anyways, I just ordered one of these suckers from Ebaybanned. To the people who tested this for thousands of rounds, was this on the AGM mags or on the WA/Other brand magazines?

+2k rounds this weekend all Propane :) All on the AGM mag that came with it. Its got a very slow leak at the fill valve now, I haven't tried to fix it yet. No additional wear yet on the hopup or bolt face. Though my replacements for both should be in the mail tomorrow.

+2k rounds this weekend all Propane :) All on the AGM mag that came with it. Its got a very slow leak at the fill valve now, I haven't tried to fix it yet. No additional wear yet on the hopup or bolt face. Though my replacements for both should be in the mail tomorrow.

If your using propane and there isn't much of a leak, green gas should be fine then right?

Did your bolt lock back after firing the last round in the AGM mag?

Erik

Further observations:

1. the bolt/nozzle wacks the bb too hard. Instead of chambering the bb, it falls into the barrel.

2. the forward assist dosen't do very much. I think the probe is not sticking out far enough to shift the bolt.

3. the follower of the mag doesn't go all the way to the top regardless whether the little sliding switch is forward of rear-wards.

Erik.

Further observations:

1. the bolt/nozzle wacks the bb too hard. Instead of chambering the bb, it falls into the barrel.

Perhaps the buffer spring is too strong. Maybe you can try cutting some coils off.

I got the chance to do some tuning on this earlier So i polished some of the bolt to make it smoother, same with the inside of the upper receiver and its a lot smoother when moving back and forward. the difference is noticeable in the blowback.

After the pics i posted a page or 2 back of the damaged bolt, i machined out the damaged part of the bolt where the release catch was mashing it. i flattened it off and polished it too. it works great now but another thing i noticed was that the "click" switching of the bolt release is too strong. it takes too much pressure to trip it and the lever inside the magazine isnt strong enough to do it. All it took though was a slight trim on the spring and it switches fine now.

The damage to the parts prompted me to inspect the internals of the Western Arms one too and to my surprise, despite having about the same amount of use, its parts are a lot worse for wear. I fixed them too but the metal in the WA is a lot softer than that of the AGM.

heres some pics of both the WA and AGM bolts/Release catches.

Before,

3599293836_4dd6d99882_b.jpg

After,

3608635520_d4ec9b7466_b.jpg

Before,

3598483017_3c7e39afed_b.jpg

After,

3607813641_2eff2dae4b_b.jpg

The Western Arms Bolt,

3607823413_5d7738e7d5_b.jpg

3608622840_3b1aee7045_b.jpg

Archived