ANTI-STAB KNIFE

RedScare

Na, it's just ignorant *suitcase* and pretty offensive. If I went around calling all Americans religious, backwards, rednecks I'm pretty sure people would take offense. Seeing where these ideas come from doesn't mean the ideas are in anyway correct or okay to express.

I know I'm a bit late with this, but...

In that way (and it seemed like it wasn't Plastic's post but his on top of several others) I know exactly how you feel. Going around calling all Americans fat, stupid, rednecks is something that people do (or used to) all the time. Not completely without merit either, but still mostly incorrect and very offensive. I think reason behind the bias (not that it really matters) is because of US news articles and thousands of online Americans not giving much reason to think otherwise.

Same thing here, IMHO. Thousands of British online and countless news articles suggesting that the UK is like a prison run by corrupt guards that seem to be biased toward those that actually intend to commit crimes that harm others.

It still has a pokey bit albeit you can only poke a small distance. :)

I guess for a chef/kitchen knife it would be rare that you would need to poke through something big rather than just cutting through it. Admittedly I was thinking more along the lines of cutting open plastic packages, creating fruit garnishes, etc, but I guess a box cutter and a paring knife would be better for those. Though that would pretty much eliminate the safety aspect of having this particular knife...

Edit: Typographical error.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cos this isn't the wild west and around here our police aren't keen on people stabbing each other, even if it IS self defence. ;)

Actually they don't mind you stabbing people in self-defense at all as long as it is in self defense and meets the reasonable force guidance. It's only if you go around equipped with the intention to stab people, including in self defense, that they have a problem.

Chris - Yeah sort of depends on how much media people read around. Hence the Fox News comment because they distort the world almost as much as our own Daily Mail. If you tend to only read self reinforcing info then you are going to develop particular world views.

It's only if you go around equipped with the intention to stab people, including in self defense, that they have a problem.

I know. That's what I said in my reply to punky'.

FWIW, I'm not prejudiced against knives here.

If you were carrying around a frying pan hanging from you belt, and you told a cop you keep it for self-defence, I imagine they'd take it off you as well.

I've been stopped by cops while having a leatherman on a pouch on my belt. The cop asked me why I carry it and I just said "cos it'll get robbed if I put it with the rest of my tools" and he was quite happy with that.

Thanks. I'll be using this as my reason from now on :D

I never worked out why kitchen knives had a sharp point instead of a flat end with a sharp bottom bit, I suppose it might help opening packages, I can't think of any times I've needed to stab my food though.

That I can tell you in one word:

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Hang on, did no one notice this?

It has taken four years to develop.

Seriously? Four years to develop this:

_45927441_newold.226.jpg

And you can still stab people with it, as has been said, given enough force...

Useless waste of time for whichever nonce thought that that would be a good idea...

An antique knife yesterday:

2610KPVF.zoom.1.jpg

What's all the fuss about?

*EDIT*

Also, am I the only one who reckons you can't spread butter properly with a pointy knife?

I have one of those knife/fork/spoon tool-things for camping and the knife blade was pointy and it was a PITA for almost everything eating-related.

First chance I got I ground the point into a nice curved end and it's so much easier to use.

I'm thinking that there's some science behind the point. Like the design of the edge requires the point for strength or something. I mean, when have you cut a raw steak with a butter knife?

Looks like a job for MYTHBUSTERS!

Then again, while we're all worried about being stabbed, there's another threat.

Slashing...

If you have a good reason to carry the knife you're perfectly entitled to.

Good reason presumably not being "I'm not going to stab anyone with it"? :rolleyes:

What I meant was a knife that not allowed to be carried on the streets.

I'm assuming your victorinix doesn't lock so that's fine in the eyes of the law. I'm talking about people who carry either a locking blade or one over 3 inches.

I carry a Spyderco UK Pen Knife every day (except in bars, etc) because it's a cracking tool. Always there and it DOES serve a multitude of legitimate purposes without being a weapon.

However, when it closed on my finger a couple of months back because the slipjoint failed (I put pressure on it the wrong way - my fault, basically, but something that shouldn't have happened if a lock were there...), it brought me right back to the point of locks in the first place - safety. Locks are they to stop knives injuring the USER. Had I been allowed to carry a safer, locking blade I wouldn't currently have a swollen knuckle with a big scar across it, and I wouldn't be any more likely to gut someone with it, either.

Tackle the problem, people, not the tool. The problem is the PEOPLE carrying the knife - the people who think it's ok to attack someone. Take away guns, they'll use automatic knives. Take away autos and they'll use locking knives. Take away locking blades and they'll use non-locking blades, or scissors, or box-cutters, or anything else. Or of course, since they're planning to commit a crime like assault, they may forgo the more minor laws and just carry a gun or an automatic anyway.

It's easy enough to spot the people who are likely to stab people needlessly - just walk down any UK high street. The trick is in getting them off the streets before they commit the (major) crimes, not needlessly infringing on other peoples' rights.

An antique knife yesterday:

http://foodservice.oneida.com/resources/on...KPVF.zoom.1.jpg

What's all the fuss about?

why isnt the entire end rounded off anyways. why leave a stupid sharp bit?

......non-stab knife end? And isn't this already in existance? Whatsmore, isn't this much harder to modify into......

Cheers for proving my point. ^_^

I'm thinking that there's some science behind the point. Like the design of the edge requires the point for strength or something. I mean, when have you cut a raw steak with a butter knife?

Looks like a job for MYTHBUSTERS!

It's not like I'm some knife expert or something, but I don't see how it could. I know there are a few instances in culinary use where using the point of the knife might be preferable to just slicing, but I think it probably is just a matter of being able to have a slightly curved edge at the front of the knife and having a point just because it might be useful and it's traditional. From what I've heard most table knives at restaurants are curved at the tip to allow easier cutting but not fully pointed just because they tend to bend after just one use/wash cycle.

It's the serrations on a knife that allow it to cut meat easily. Nothing to do with the point.

The reason for the shape of a steak-knife takes us back to the video that Jagdraben posted earlier.

It's obvious that a point on a knife is so it can puncture stuff.

That might be the blister-pack for a new set of AEG gears or it might be the skin of a rabbit before you gut it.

The problem here is that, as usual, you can't ban stuff to stop criminals doing naughty stuff.

If they make every knife in the world out of rubber it won't bother most criminals. They'll just start sticking screwdrivers or wood chisels into people instead.

actually, its the sharpness of the knife that allows it to cut things. A blunt serrated knife will perform worse than a blunt plain edge knife, as it'll just rip whatever you're cutting more.

As for the whole strength issue, thats all to do with the type of grind, steel and heat-treatment. Hollowgrinds (like cut throat razors) have a very good strength against bending, as does almost every knife/sword ever with a fuller (blood groove). Flat grinds or scandi grinds are more flexible (hence why you get them on filleting knives, etc)

Convex grinds are best for chopping strength, hence why a lot of Kukhris and sabers (swords) have a convex grind (or saber grind, which is like a half-convex grind).

The whole point (did u c what i did thar?) of this knife is ridiculous. it wont help with fatal stabbings, because you could still fatally stab someone with it, even without modifying the tip. Most kitchen knives are at MOST, 3mm thick at the spine. Given enough pressure, that WILL break skin (probably). If they made it 5mm, 6mm or thicker, it'd be ridiculously heavy, and the bevel angle at the edge would be so high (almost 90degrees or so) that a coffer stirrer would out-perform it.

Rant over.

actually, its the sharpness of the knife that allows it to cut things. A blunt serrated knife will perform better than a blunt plain edge knife, as it'll just rip whatever you're cutting more.

Fixed it for you.

Convex grinds are best for chopping strength, hence why a lot of Kukhris and sabers (swords) have a convex grind (or saber grind, which is like a half-convex grind).

They do? Funny how none of my HI Khuks have convex grinds.

Archived