The "dumb question" thread

Gorf

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a singular dumb question where answer feels obvious.

I used to go airsofting a fair few years back, I have an ICS MP5 with a 9.6v battery, for the last 2 years minimum it has been left ran down and with no charge. I recently charged it up and have been testing it and found it fine so far but I will be going to Bunker 51 on Monday so just wish to know is there any problem I could face from using a battery that hasn't been used in a long while.

Must admit, I suspect you'll probably find that the battery doesn't last as long as it used to.

Batteries tend to change their chemistry when they're left in a discharged state and that sometimes doesn't return properly when you recharge them.

If you have a clever charger you should probably cycle-charge it a few times prior to using it in your AEG just to minimise this problem as much as possible.

Failing that, consider hooking up a 12v bulb to a battery connector and plugging that in for a while in order to drain the battery and then charge it again.

Note that if you discharge the battery too much you can damage it so keep an eye on it.

For example, if you have a 25w bulb (a car brake light) it will draw roughly 2.5 amps from a 9.6v battery.

If you have a 3000mAh battery then it will, theoretically, illuminate a 25w bulb for a little over an hour but it's probably only wise to use it for around 45 minutes.

If I have an 8.4V 1100mAh mini battery and a poopy chinese charger (lost the small connector for my good one) with an "output of 8.4v 250mAh", how long should I charge the battery? Thanks :)

Capacity x 1.4 divided by charging current.

Sooo....

1100mAh x 1.4 = 1540

1540 / 250 = 6.16

Charging time = 6.16 hours.

Can i charge a lipo battery on my pro-peak 2500 varipulse charger that i use to charge my Ni-mh's on? Or do i need a "lipo" specific charger?

Worthy of "newbie question" section.

I would use a lipo-specific charger, personally.

I know some people tend not to worry too much about being careful with LiPo's but, regardless of any immediate dangers, I recall I used to have quite a few problems with r/c car batteries as a kid by abusing them.

Cos of that I now (being older and wiser) make sure I take care to charge batteries carefully and, as a result, my batteries have a nice easy life with no dramas.

If its anything like 1 & 2 stage triggers on airguns, then a one stage trigger has no 'slack', you just pull the trigger and the gun fires. With a two stage trigger, there is a certain amount of play in the first stage, then the trigger comes to a stop; any further pressure and the gun will fire ( slipping the sears for the 2nd stage ). I much prefer two stage triggers, though for quick reactions in a CQB or woodland etc scenareo ( sp), a single stage trigger makes more sense..

• 2 weeks later...

Been troubling this questing in mind couple of days now. Does like AK series have a body and to it u attach a AK47 front set thingy or it the body like whole for AK47 and difference for AKS74U. Or something. Like this Does that part go straight in like the body and does like AKS-74U has different kind of front set thingy. And do i have to buy a new outer and innerbarrel for it too.

Upon installing a 6" PDI 6.01 palsonite barrel in a GBB I noticed that at greater distances the BBs display erratic behavior such as veering sharply to the left or right (usually the left), or even straight down, usually around 20meters, +/- 3. I understand that tightbore barrels aren't the best for accuracy - with less room for an air cushion to carry the BB through the barrel, but this seems ridiculous. Should a quality after market hopup rubber and more expensive, perhaps heavier BB's produce a noticeable improvement in accuracy?

I'm using .2g crossman BB's which I know aren't the best quality.

• 2 weeks later...

Question about stocks, im a little new to the AK world and im wondering about stock compatibility. What type of AR stock adapter, if any, would fit on a CM035? Ive been looking around and i found that VFC makes an AR tube for the AK but only lists the AK Aims for compatibility. If there are none, is my only option to JB weld one on that is compatible with a TM Ak?

Dumb question-

Is there anything but the spring that effects the fps of a gun?

I have a m14 with that gay v7 gearbox so can't really downgrade spring with paying someone to do it right.

The spring sets the maximum power for the system, all the air seal parts show with their quality what FPS you truly get.

You could sabotage certain parts of your gun, hop unit or piston head, but then you will loose accuracy as the power will vary slightly shot to shot.

The only proper way to lower the FPS of the gun is to replace the spring with a weaker one, I would not recomend any other method.

Question about stocks, im a little new to the AK world and im wondering about stock compatibility. What type of AR stock adapter, if any, would fit on a CM035? Ive been looking around and i found that VFC makes an AR tube for the AK but only lists the AK Aims for compatibility. If there are none, is my only option to JB weld one on that is compatible with a TM Ak?

Time for me to ask rather than answer :D.

Firstly:

I have an internally threaded barrel for my 1911. What thread would it be?

Most airsoft stuff appears to be 14mm threading, would an internally threaded barrel be the same or different?

Secondly:

There are a few sites selling nine ball gas Route Packing for TM Hi-cappa. A lot of the hicappa parts are compatible with the TM 1911, i was wondering is this packing compatible or not?

This is what i am talking about

http://www.wgcshop.com/wgc2008/main/product_detail1.php?search_From=searchItem&item=NB-PT-GRP2&search=searchItem&rs=NB-PT-GRP2

Thanks in advance.

Ed, I'm pretty sure internal threading is of a smaller gauge. It's threaded to take a silencer adaptor. I think it's 11mm? Not sure. Depends on the gun.

Thanks. Thats what i was worried about. I cant seem to find a thread adaptor for a pistols thread :(.

Ok so i've got my first M4 nice little ics commando, the plastic one, but as i'm quite tall i am finding the short stock abit toooo short, i've heard that ics are not compatable with things other than ics, the delta ring isn't teethed (?) and that the stock mounting is slightly different, but i've had a look online at some manuals and they look the same as other m4s, i'm look at either a M.O.E or socom ACE stock in particluar. Thanks

Archived