What Am Bestest Eotechs?

aaron2310

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@punkypink : yeah you could "take care" of customs a couple of years ago, right now, its harder what with the anti corruption commission in full swing, and you don't need to be "rich" anymore to play airsoft here... it's cheaper now compared to the US/UK.

Clone optics, airsoft optics (KA, GnP, Hurricane) can still be imported because their classified as toy accessories...(maybe) :P ...

so the question still remains.. what am bestest airsoft holosight?

I have a real 511, a Hurricane 553, and mystery clone 551 (most likely Dragon Red).

The real one is the best of the bunch but as noted in this thread they can be very hard to find. Most models are export restricted from the USA, and some countries will import restrict them also. Outside of the US your best chances to find one are to wait like a trapdoor spider and when someone who already has one needs to sell you can pounce on it.

The Hurricane is indeed very nice, a very bright reticle but it obscures more of the target than the real deal. I have it on a 249 so it gets banged around a bit. I can't say how it would handle a gas rifle impulses.

The mystery clone is OK in dim light only. It's nothing to write home about.

@punkypink : yeah you could "take care" of customs a couple of years ago, right now, its harder what with the anti corruption commission in full swing, and you don't need to be "rich" anymore to play airsoft here... it's cheaper now compared to the US/UK.

Have things changed THAT much in Indonesia? No more kopi-driving licences and 13 yr olds honing around in fast cars??? Shocking.

@ Punky: Yup, it has changed THAT much... you should come by sometimes if your in Singapore, its quite cheap if you fly from s'pore now..about 20 quid for a 1 way ticket to Jakarta... or from London theres a flight to KL then KL - Jakarta which is about $400, about 350 pound? for a return ticket...

anyone tried a hurricane one on a gbbr? would it hold its zero or would it become loose after a while?

Yup they hold up no problem.

Personally a RS EoTech costs too much to justify spending that kinda cash for use on an airsoft gun (I was tempted but I'm glad I never as I'm losing interest in airsoft) but if you're comfortable with it then go for RS.

In my opinion Hurricane are the next best option if you don't go RS.

@ Punky: Yup, it has changed THAT much... you should come by sometimes if your in Singapore, its quite cheap if you fly from s'pore now..about 20 quid for a 1 way ticket to Jakarta... or from London theres a flight to KL then KL - Jakarta which is about $400, about 350 pound? for a return ticket...

Am resident in London now. Can't help with Eotechs on AGM GBB M4s. I only use my G&P on my MP5K.

Personally a RS EoTech costs too much to justify spending that kinda cash for use on an airsoft gun (I was tempted but I'm glad I never as I'm losing interest in airsoft) but if you're comfortable with it then go for RS.

In my opinion Hurricane are the next best option if you don't go RS.

then again, if you had invested in a RS Eo a few years ago (175 quid imported to the UK for a 512 in 2005) then you would have been able to sell it for a profit now :) Seriously.

HurricanE and G&P are by far the best replicas, but they still aren't good.

Ghost rings (to a lesser extent in these rather than other replicas) and reflections in the lense is still highly prevalent though.

Do like Rob15 said, try find a second-hand 512/511, and if you're unable to, save up for a new one, there really is no comparization when you put the replicas next to the real deal...

Lets see, I've had a 2 real EOTechs, 3 HurricanE replicas, 2 Dragon Red Replicas, and 1 generic ACM replica.

My advice?

HurricanE, HurricanE, HurricanE, HurricanE.

Call me crazy, but I liked my HurricanE replicas more than my real EOTechs in terms of daytime situation performance. Maybe it's just because I have an astigmatism in one of my eyes but I found the HurricanE reticle much easier on the eyes than the real EOTech. The real EOTech reticle is very pixilated looking and really makes me squint a lot when looking through the sight. The HurricanE reticle on the other hand, being LED based instead of holographic, was much easier for me to look at for long periods of time without making me squint and making my eyes tired like the real one does.

The downside of the HurricanE replicas? Well, since the system is LED based rather than holographic you do have a little red light inside the sight that could give away your position in the dark if viewed from the right angle and the HurricanE replicas are not compatible with night vision technology.

Other than that I have no complaints about the HurricanE sights. For daytime skirmishing they are fantastic, and as a few local friends can attest they do hold zero on a real AR-15 just fine so feel free to use them on your GBB rifles. The automatic brightness adjustment feature on the HurricanE 552 and later models is pretty neat as well. Doesn't work too well indoors under fluorescent lighting but under natural lighting it does work quite well and is a cool little bonus feature.

As far as the ACM replicas go, I wouldn't touch em with a 10 foot pole now that I've owned 3 of them. Out of the 3 I've owned (2 Dragon Red and 1 generic ACM) all of them had ghosting issues, windage and elevation adjustment problems, and massive glare from the rear lens. One of the Dragon Red replicas had the windage adjustment screw sheer itself off at the head the moment you tried to adjust it at all, the other Dragon Red replica's windage adjustment just plain didn't work! The generic ACM replica worked a little better in that department but adjustment was still limited and very sticky feeling. You'd have to turn the dials about 15 times to get them to move the reticle 2 MOA.

And to top it off one of my Dragon Red replicas showed up with a totally crooked reticle and a mount base that was improperly threaded and wouldn't lock down on any rail.

So I'd say avoid all the ACM replicas and either go for a HurricanE replica or a real EOTech. If you plan on skirmishing much at night or you have some kind of night vision device you'd like to use with your sight than the real EOTech is going to be the better choice, but if you're just a daytime skirmisher and never use any NVDs than you can't go wrong with the HurricanE replicas. They're the only replicas I'd ever buy at this point ^_^

Personally a RS EoTech costs too much to justify spending that kinda cash for use on an airsoft gun

This was my very thought as I read the thread. Why would one want to shell out 500 dollars for guns that cost around half of that (OP's guns are TM and JG, etc etc). It's so illogical. Just buy an ACM one or a manufactured clone and call it a day, airsofters. <_<

Great, thats the answer I'm looking for... that 553 is looking quite delicious :P... anyone else got any input regarding airsoft holosights on gbbr's? other than hurricane does the GnP one hold their zero?

This was my very thought as I read the thread. Why would one want to shell out 500 dollars for guns that cost around half of that (OP's guns are TM and JG, etc etc). It's so illogical. Just buy an ACM one or a manufactured clone and call it a day, airsofters. <_<

Or buy a different style clone optic <_<

Some people don't have guns that cost around half that. Different folks, different strokes, I guess.

i have owned 3 chinese clone's 2 from ebay banned and one i bougth form a UK web-sight.

the one from the UK retailer arrived unfunctioning , i sent i back and they never sent a new one.

my first one from ebaybanned had ghosting, think it was a 551?

then the secound, a 553. I had problems adjusting the reticle to the point up and down adjustments didnt work. After closer examination it turned out the screw you turn to move it up and down was broken i opened up it up. It was quite frankly crapply made, now it works but sits in a drawer.

Now i have given up on eotechs all together, if i do get one it will be the HurricanE as there the best non "real steel" i have seen.

blarg what is taking so long to make a clone of the elcan spectre??

I don't think the arguments stating the cost of a gun vs. the cost of a real Eo-Tech are valid, really.

It's not like you're only going to use it on one of your guns. Just take it off, and mount it on the gun you're using for that particular game.

Ben.

I had a real EoTech and a Hurricane one.

In the end I flogged the real one. :unsure:

Bear with me...

I just can't get on with the EoTech (551) reticle at all.

I always find that I can't actually see my target behind it. The reticle is so big and complex that it distracts my eye from the target.

If, for example, you're aiming at a human target it's easy to aim centre-mass or even at a head etc. no problems there.

However, if you take a playing card (Let's say a 5 of Hearts) and pin it to a target 10m away it's almost impossible to aim at the specific hearts on the card easily. When you place the centre dot over one point the surrounding reticle obscures the rest of the target area.

And that's in daylight.

In poor light (even on a normal day in woodland, for example) an EoTech becomes almost unusable for me.

The reticle is just so dominant that it obscures the target behind it.

Anyway, in the end I decided I might as well get my money back so I flogged the real one and kept the Hurricane one.

It's just as annoying but it's worth less.

I hate the people on this forum. So up themselves... chill the hell out.

It's MY opinion that the HurricanE EOTech 556 is great, NOT yours. I'm entitled to say what I WANT to say. If you've got a problem then put up and shut up.

So yes, I conclude that HurricanE are a good choice.

The internet's serious business dude.

I don't think I could bring myself to buy a real deal though, though. I don't airsoft so I don't really have a say :P

I had a real EoTech and a Hurricane one.

In the end I flogged the real one. :unsure:

Bear with me...

I just can't get on with the EoTech (551) reticle at all.

I always find that I can't actually see my target behind it. The reticle is so big and complex that it distracts my eye from the target.

If, for example, you're aiming at a human target it's easy to aim centre-mass or even at a head etc. no problems there.

However, if you take a playing card (Let's say a 5 of Hearts) and pin it to a target 10m away it's almost impossible to aim at the specific hearts on the card easily. When you place the centre dot over one point the surrounding reticle obscures the rest of the target area.

And that's in daylight.

In poor light (even on a normal day in woodland, for example) an EoTech becomes almost unusable for me.

The reticle is just so dominant that it obscures the target behind it.

Anyway, in the end I decided I might as well get my money back so I flogged the real one and kept the Hurricane one.

It's just as annoying but it's worth less.

Stealth raises some valid points. If you're going for precision shooting, an EOtech isn't really your best bet. I had one of the AR223 revisions (the ones with bullet drop compensation) and found it to be pretty useless on an ARM range as there was just too much going on in such a small area. I ditched it and went to one with a normal reticule. I tend to use them on lower brightness settings and shoot with both eyes open -- just bright enough for it to be visibly superimposed on the target. Great for reflex shooting, not spectacular for precision. I still like it better than the CCO simply because it has a better field of view.

Also worth noting - if the normal reticule is too much for you, one with a ghosted image will drive you nuts. The clone reticules also have a tendency to disappear in bright sunlight. This is assuming they work as they should anyway... The controls on ones I've used can get all wonky, and adjustments may or may not work, colors will stop changing, they won't turn off, etc.

Archived