Standard v Midcap v Hicap

Warpix

What capacity magazine do you prefer?  

308 members have voted

1. 1. Standard, Midcap, or Hicap?

• Standard
    • Midcap
    • Hicap

I like Standards and Midcaps. Standards more so, but for the scale of the games I attend, midcaps make more sense. All the games I play in do not allow hicaps. I think I have only three hicaps in my collection and that was only because they came with guns.

I only like real caps when everyone else is using them too ... otherwise I find it kinda sucks.

Sir, if this place had a rep function, I would rep you for having possibly the largest collection of mags I've ever seen...

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

prefer highcaps. why? real caps are pointless in anything that isnt 100% milsim, because of the fact that in real life firing one round at someone will make them dive for cover, but firing one BB at someone will do nothing of the sort. you need a burst to have any real effect.

i did have some midcaps and i did enjoy them, but no more or less than my highcaps, so i sold them because someone was offering quite a good deal.

i currently run 9 highcaps (m4, 300rnd) or 12 highcaps for my m16, or 5 AK highcaps for my ak47/74. please note that im not a mad trigger happy freak, i just like to have ammo to hand because it means i can get stuck in to a good firefight. one could say that in the last year or so my gaming has "matured" and ive become much more tactical and stealthy, but i really dont find it hard to be quiet with highcaps. just last weekend i snuck up to within 2 meters of someone when i was carrying 4 full-ish highcaps. i took him and his mate out nicely with some double taps.

so in my mind, highcaps are preferable for me (although i never set out to buy 18 highcaps, i just accumulated them) because of the more ammo i can carry, but if someone was to swap them for midcaps, i wouldent really be bothered at all.

I only use midcaps for my TM M4-S, I am slowly converting my mates to them now they've seen just how sneaky you can be without that annoying b****y rattle.

Once I find out what mids to get for my Kart EBR she will only use them. At present she's still using the supplied hi-cap! :(

I prefer mids. I usually equate 3~5bb as one bullet in real life. Makes the mids work out fairly well.

I usually run 8 mids and a high cap. I also carry between 6 to 8 speedloaders to fill up my mags. Then I'll move on to the high cap. (This usually last me most of the day, not just one game.) I also tend to play very aggressive though, so I burn through a lot more ammo that the guy who just spent 45 minutes crawling on his gut to flank someone...

I use midcaps at the moment, but I would love to run only standards as it's more realistic and fun to reload. I also firmly believe airsoft would become far more realistic if everybody was limited to real capacity mags and a realistic rate of fire. In real life your capacity for full-auto spraying is severly limited as most modern assault rifles shoot at 600-800 rpm and have 30 round mags. No more spraying endlessly from a hicap or shooting 30 rounds a second.

anybody knows where i can get metal realcap mags for M16/M4?

Not as such, but you just buy TM standards and only put 30 rounds in :P

Stu.

Wow... thats a lot of mags!

I like Standards and Midcaps. Standards more so, but for the scale of the games I attend, midcaps make more sense. All the games I play in do not allow hicaps. I think I have only three hicaps in my collection and that was only because they came with guns.

l509sm.jpg

I only like real caps when everyone else is using them too ... otherwise I find it kinda sucks.

Seraphim! Good to hear another G36 user saying that, but 13 mags? You got a STANAG magwell converter on your G36? because I know that a G36 mag is about the same thickness of two STANAG mags, so I can't imagine how you would carry 13 onto a field... unless you use the mag locks on the G36 mags to stack 13 mags together... entertaining thought, but I'm afraid that some one may have tried this.

:waggle: Magwell conversions on G36s are a shmae upon the glory that is the G36 :P

Actually, I do use one on my SL8, but thats because I wanted a mag that was longer than the sniper mags but shorter than the normal G36 mags. Ill be using normal G36 mags for my G36. 1 in the gun, and then the other 12 snapped together in pairs in pouches. My friend, let my reveal to you the wonders that is the IdZ system

Im going to be running 6 double G36 mag pouches on my IdZ vest. German gear is much better for holding G36 mags since, well, theyre actually designed to hold them in the first place.

I can fit double stacked G36 mags in my Blackhawk AK pouches. If I want to use my "normal" gear with M4 pouches, I use midcaps with the tabs shaved off. That said my next G36 related purchase will be a box of VN midcaps for my magwel conversion.

Per the topic, I vote realcaps since my only working gun is a WE M4--but if they made C02 midcaps I would be all over that. I think the average "burst" in an airsoft game is about 20 rounds.

I can fit double stacked G36 mags in my Blackhawk AK pouches. If I want to use my "normal" gear with M4 pouches, I use midcaps with the tabs shaved off. That said my next G36 related purchase will be a box of VN midcaps for my magwel conversion.

Per the topic, I vote realcaps since my only working gun is a WE M4--but if they made C02 midcaps I would be all over that. I think the average "burst" in an airsoft game is about 20 rounds.

Viper triple M4 pouches fit double stack G36 mags if you cut away the elastic on each side.

High caps, mainly due to cost and I find the rattle is only a problem if your jumping around likd a gazelle being chased by a lion. As for the "spray n pray" stereotype this always reminds me of a conversation I had a few years ago with a mid cap user. He called me a spray and pray kiddie for using high caps (funny on its own as the number of mid cap users could be counted on 1 hand). It turned out he was carrying as many bbs as me, so after the next game I asked him how many bbs he had left. He was out and I still had 25% of my ammo left

High caps, mainly due to cost and I find the rattle is only a problem if your jumping around likd a gazelle being chased by a lion. As for the "spray n pray" stereotype this always reminds me of a conversation I had a few years ago with a mid cap user. He called me a spray and pray kiddie for using high caps (funny on its own as the number of mid cap users could be counted on 1 hand). It turned out he was carrying as many bbs as me, so after the next game I asked him how many bbs he had left. He was out and I still had 25% of my anno left

I think that the stereotypical "spray n pray" with hi caps only applies to the people who feel the need to bring 4 or 5 hi caps to a small game and use them all only to need to refill for the next game.

when I used hi caps, I only took 1 into a game, I now bring 10 standard caps so it's the same overall number of BBs. Most people don't need/use so many hi caps.

I used high caps mostly when I first started, but I've been converted to the joy of the standard mag for the past years. Granted on a standard skirmish, I may end up emptying them all as it's more faster paced than your milsim. But I really enjoy the tension that builds in a Milsim game, with the "How many shots are left in this mag? Will I have enough rounds?". I think it really adds something to the experience, having to reload a critical moment. To each their own. I suppose it also helps that I'm a single shot fanatic, bit of ammo conservation never goes a miss.

Lowcap

I have all three of them atm but I started with hicaps and 1 lowcap (MP5). Dear god, the rattle :(. For a recent milarp where hicaps were prohibited, I bought 2 midcaps to go with my lowcap. Result: Never will I use hicaps again. Midcaps are very nice, but the lowcaps really push you to conserving ammo and not "sprayspray wops a bit more to the left sprayspray" like some ppl tend to o on skirms.

And in the end a few mid or lows is the only thing you need. Funny to see how ppl run around in CIRAS, RRV, whatever and only use 1 hicap for the duration of the game.

I use mids, although A box on the 60' of course

The field I play at has a one highcap rule for MilSims, I used Hicaps when I started playing, but couldnt really stand the rattling. It was really noticeable when I had four half loaded mags.

Mids have a good capacity, but arnt to unrealistic if you use the 3 to 1 ratio and I have never had feed issues with them as I have with Hicaps.

I use lowcaps. Mostly because the rules in Norway say you can only carry ONE hicrap, or as many low caps as you can carry. Lowcap is 0-99 bbs and hicrap is everything above. Id like to have more ammo than 68 in each mag though, so im thinking of investing in Magpull P-Mags in the future and modify it to 80 or so bbs. A total of 680 bbs is just enough for a skirmish here. Id like to have slightly more...

Archived