Giant Military Vehical

bankz5152

Hey,

Ok this is probably going to be absurd but i thought it would be fun to think about.

Instead of the Millitary using a fleet of 30 odd Tanks why not use one of these?

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...%3Doff%26um%3D1

OR

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebherr_T_282B - Goes the same speed as a challanger 2 40pmh

But with a really big gun instead of a bucket, Missile silos, a semi automatic 120mm cannon on either side, variously placed .50 cal machine guns, rocket pods and just for the hell of it a helipad. Of course it would need a big grinder thing for removing mines.

I know it would be absurd especially trying to transport it anywhere but when it got there it would destroy everything in its path.

Imagine the site of it, somthing so large coming toward you covered in guns blowing *suitcase* up left right and centre.

lol i know its crazy, any comments?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firstly, 1 of those is a digger. The other is a dumper truck. Made for digging and dumping. Tanks are tanks. Made for shooting.

If you were to just put a load of guns on one of those what you would end up with is a load of guns on something too large to move. Unless you could build it wherever and whenever you wanted it then that would be pointless.

Assuming you could do those things then you're still limited by the fact that you'll still need about the same number of them as you would tanks to cover a battlefield because the range of the weaponry would be pretty similar. It would just be a bigger target.

So that would be a few of the reasons why we don't use diggers in warfare :lol:

Hey,

Ok this is probably going to be absurd but i thought it would be fun to think about.

Instead of the Millitary using a fleet of 30 odd Tanks why not use one of these?

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...%3Doff%26um%3D1

OR

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebherr_T_282B - Goes the same speed as a challanger 2 40pmh

But with a really big gun instead of a bucket, Missile silos, a semi automatic 120mm cannon on either side, variously placed .50 cal machine guns, rocket pods and just for the hell of it a helipad. Of course it would need a big grinder thing for removing mines.

I know it would be absurd especially trying to transport it anywhere but when it got there it would destroy everything in its path.

Imagine the site of it, somthing so large coming toward you covered in guns blowing *suitcase* up left right and centre.

lol i know its crazy, any comments?

Israelis have used these type of machines, i believe the D1 bulldozer, and a crazy american citizen modified one and went on a unstoppable rampage.

:rofl: .

The huge monsters of machines would simply not be affective in combat.

They may be able to withstand getting rocks pummeled on them, or having to carry ridiculously heavy loads, but I'm sure one good IED could take out the tracks/wheels and now you have a 50 ton of metal you probably can't replace parts easily, simply due to you having to haul it back with something even bigger.

Battle Tanks are made, well, for battle. Ever since they were just an idea in a person's head, it's been made for combat, and nothing else, so every inch of the tank was made to withstand battles and wars.

well in the real world...we are going bigger....

US's new M-ATV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5wT58L1uME

look at it compare to the people and other vehicle in the clip....

This is basically serving the role of an up-armored Humvee, until Humvee gets replaced with JLTV, which is only slightly smaller than the M-ATV...

something that large could institute point defense systems for anti aircraft/missles

The big thing here though is width. Tanks are already *fruitcage* wide, and the cannon has a hard time swinging around in cities. If your tank doesnt fit down a street, you know what it is? Mobile artillery.

The moble base thing could provide a very good landing and refuel point for helicopters though.

The next phase in armored combat vehicles (not troop transport) are going to be smaller and slightly taller, and likely be legged. Not gundams or anything so silly, but probably 15-20 feet tall, with a back mounted gun. I doubt they will have arms, but its possible. They will not use the legs to walk, merely as suspension and to help protect the underside of the tank (relieves pressure from anti tank mines, making the vehicle crew more survivable). They wont replace main battle tanks, but I wouldn't be surprised to see like groups of 5-10 light upright tanks with 1-3 main battle tanks. I'm more then willing to go into this in depth but my fresh sockets in my mouth hurt and I want to eat my soup. Plus this topic is about super tanks.

The next phase in armored combat vehicles (not troop transport) are going to be smaller and slightly taller, and likely be legged. Not gundams or anything so silly, but probably 15-20 feet tall, with a back mounted gun. I doubt they will have arms, but its possible. They will not use the legs to walk, merely as suspension and to help protect the underside of the tank (relieves pressure from anti tank mines, making the vehicle crew more survivable). They wont replace main battle tanks, but I wouldn't be surprised to see like groups of 5-10 light upright tanks with 1-3 main battle tanks. I'm more then willing to go into this in depth but my fresh sockets in my mouth hurt and I want to eat my soup. Plus this topic is about super tanks.

A tank with legs and guns?

You mean one of these? :P :P

Biggest problem I can see with huge vehicles such as that admittedly very cool crawler is getting them to where you need them, I mean there is probably a small large chance a war won't start where said vehicles just happen to be located at the time and to move them at least a half decent pace would require something even bigger, a huge skycrane perhaps? Where are the Russians when you want them to make some rather mad but huge machines? :D

I think he means one of these, Rob. Plus, it's cooler than an AT-AT.

Vehicles that large, while not impossible, are unlikely to ever be used as long as missiles can reduce it to slag from beyond the horizon. Unless it can go from 0 to 500 km/h in a quarter second like Armored Cores can.

Ok so the idea needs work lol

Is that mobile fortress a genuine US Military idea? It looks very similar to the mobile weapons patform from Fallout 3: Broken Steel.

Well not somthing that would be a main battle tank then.

A Mobile Artillery/ Vehical Refuel/Rearm Station. Obviously it wouldnt as simple as wacking a big gun on a dumper. Youd have to essentially redesign it for battle. Big heavy armour plates, massively thick rubber tires lined with kevlar in certain places to protect agains IEDs.

And of course automated .50cals for close protection.

Correct me if im wrong or if it was a lie. I think i saw 'Anti Rocket Armour' for vehicals, from what i understood about it it uses various sensors and what not with automated shotguns that find the rocket coming toward it and blow it up 10 meters from its target. The other thing i saw on Future Weapons was a Surface - Air missle defence system for large planes. Used IR, sensors & lasers to heat the fuel tank of rockets and blow it up before it reaches its target.

Using those things would help it out, ill try to find the videos on the web today.

I agree with what others have said armoured bi ped 'tanks'. I wouldnt be supprised if we soon saw bi-peds with arms standing around 12 - 15 ft tall moving with squads of soldiers.

I think he means one of these, Rob. Plus, it's cooler than an AT-AT.

Vehicles that large, while not impossible, are unlikely to ever be used as long as missiles can reduce it to slag from beyond the horizon. Unless it can go from 0 to 500 km/h in a quarter second like Armored Cores can.

I thought this....

metal-gear-rex.jpg

What would be the real benefits of a vehicle that used legs though? I mean sure it can cross more types of terrain than normal tracked/wheeled vehicles, but is it really a more stable platform to fire from? Does it offer anything over tracks?

Will say though in terms of putting fear into an enemy, the whole idea of a giant vehicle would pretty much do that. That's probably why they always seemed to be used by the "empire" types in fiction; A giant vehicle may be strong, contain more weapons and troops, but it is never the type of creation that will put people at ease when they see it on the horizon.

It would theoretically be able to carry weapons more devastating than a MBT over a greater variety of terrain. Until they get the legs to somewhere near human balance and mobility though its a tough sell in my mind.

Mech Theory in MGS makes more sense than Gundam to me, as in MGS they are designing the chassis around the weapon system it must deploy, in Gundam they are just getting fancy.

Just like all super platforms(say a carrier) it would require special help to defend itself(carrier group) as it likely would be taken down by 1-2 shots from an MBT unless we make uber armour

Archived