Apple iPad

aznriptide859

Android fanboy rant

Pretty much what I intimated earlier on. I must confess Tinkerbell convinced me to look at the Motorola Milestone (Droid) which would have carried a hefty price tag (£450) if I hadn't taken it on contract, but I am glad I did - it's amazing how much further the Iphone 3G / Android phones have taken things beyond my previous Noka N95 8GB. As Tink said there really is little the Ipad can offer me that this cannot do - and I can stick this in my pocket as well expect to not have to charge it every ten hours.

That said If I didn't have this, or an iphone OR a netbook, I would see a use for the Ipad. It's just that the Ipad is such a crossover piece of tech that I think many of us geeks (which, lets face it, we are all are, if we are posting about this here) will already have at least one or more gadgets that fulfil the same need.

If people desperately want this though, then I can't fault them for that. It's just not personally for me. I'd still much rather have a physical keyboard for when I'm writing my dissertation / novels - and have something smaller and more easier to carry about my person to browse the web, chat on IRC to the Arnies regulars to, and read the news on. :)

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think many of us geeks (which, lets face it, we are all are, if we are posting about this here)

Thank you for clarifying that.

I always had my suspicions: Social ineptitudes, unhealthy fascination with the unpopular, unconventional fetishes etc.

Greg.

Seems like a lot of people here haven't heard about the whole capitalism/modern conveniences thing. We can go through this step by step

1. Companies create products to make money

2. Apple is a company

3. Apple created a new product, the Ipad

4. Apple wants to sell the Ipad, so they market it

Got it? People keep talking about oh, its so unnecessary. Hello?!? None of the *suitcase* we buy anymore is necessary! You don't need a HD tv, or a computer, or a cell phone. Its all things you want. People buy technology because they want it, not because they need it. Its as simple as that. And Apple advertises very well, so people are going to want it.

don't worry I'll add some fuel to the fire. :D

http://shanghaiist.com/2010/01/28/ipad_clo..._months_bef.php

the following is classified as humour for the concious mind, so don't take it seriously. :D

Like any apple product, it will sell well, but not because of it's price or specs, but because it's apple.

I bet I can take a dacia logan, give it an apple design touch (don't mind the pun)

also install a ipod touch inside and a compartiment to place your iphone in it,

and I can sell it for more than twice the price, because it's apple.

I give you the I-car. :D

Ugh, long distance relationship...2.5 years. Lets not go there again. Anyways, my point is weve gotten to the point where we THINK we need all these things, ignoring the fact that civilization has existed for thousands of years without them. Just like everything in America is now a "right", everything we own has become something we "need".

But this isn't the semi tribal insular world that existed 2000, 500 or even seventy years ago.

We live in a global world and our lives and the structure of society as a whole are fully engrosed in globalism. People survived hundreds of years ago because pretty much the only people that ever traveled more then ten miles from their hometown were either off to sell stuff or kill people. But now, there are no English people who can say they have never traveled more then ten miles from their home town. Hell, there are pretty few who can say they have never been abroad. Of my five or six best friends, only one lives within the same city, one other in the same county, one other within 200 miles and the others are from Canada, China, the UAE.

So frankly, yes, people did survive without modern technology, and look how *suitcase* their lives were. We do need phones and computers, they are absolutely utterly nessecery to both maintaining relationships, working efficiantly, maintaining the global economy and even to maintaining our basic freedoms.

People survived hundreds of years ago because pretty much the only people that ever traveled more then ten miles from their hometown were either off to sell stuff or kill people. But now, there are no English people who can say they have never traveled more then ten miles from their home town. Hell, there are pretty few who can say they have never been abroad.

You, sir, have obviously not met enough Texans :D

But this isn't the semi tribal insular world that existed 2000, 500 or even seventy years ago.

We live in a global world and our lives and the structure of society as a whole are fully engrosed in globalism. People survived hundreds of years ago because pretty much the only people that ever traveled more then ten miles from their hometown were either off to sell stuff or kill people. But now, there are no English people who can say they have never traveled more then ten miles from their home town. Hell, there are pretty few who can say they have never been abroad. Of my five or six best friends, only one lives within the same city, one other in the same county, one other within 200 miles and the others are from Canada, China, the UAE.

So frankly, yes, people did survive without modern technology, and look how *suitcase* their lives were. We do need phones and computers, they are absolutely utterly nessecery to both maintaining relationships, working efficiantly, maintaining the global economy and even to maintaining our basic freedoms.

Actually, 2000, 500, or 70 years ago (or two-thousand, five-hundred, or seventy years ago), people did a lot more moving than you think.

Today, we do a lot more moving for recreation, as modern transport has made it much easier. But people have always been moving: To get away from relatives, to get closer to them, to escape persecution and occupation, to occupy, to colonize, to find their fortune... to escape their crummy lives in one place and make a better life someplace else. Not everyone did it, but many, many people did. And people did it globally.

As far as quality of life, the happiness of people, I don't think we're any happier now than we were then... we've just found things that are less and less important (like computers) to kvetch about. The global economy is sustained, in large part, due to computes, as are many localized economies. Efficiency is a trade-off, as it allows fewer people to do more... which means that some people are out of a job, as a result (a hundred years ago, it took a workshop full of skilled artisans to turn out any complicated mechanical artifice. Today it only takes one person to supervise a while workshop full of CNC machines and robotic assemblers. Efficiency increased, costs dropped, more people could afford the mechanical devices, but many people lost their jobs).

It is a sad, sad human being who needs a computer to maintain a relationship, though. Even a long distance relationship: John and Abagail Adams did it nearly three centuries ago, in an era where news and mail took a weeks to spread from Massachusetts to Georgia and months to go from the American Colonies to Europe... during a time of war with one in France, the other in Massachusetts... where the three thousand miles of ocean separating the two were patrolled by people who would rather liked to have gotten their hands on correspondence between one of the leaders of the American Revolution and anyone back home, especially his wife... and many of the American ports were blockaded or under threat of blockade all the time.

Modern technology has its flip-side, too. There are people in this world who are not connected by modern technology. When disaster strikes, when the power goes out, they are unaffected. While Port-au-Prince suffers, most of the rest of Haiti gets along just fine, because most of the country doesn't rely on modern infrastructure, so their was no infrastructure to damage or destroy. Similarly, while the isolated pre-electronic, global-infrastructure, wired-in peoples of the earth are regular MacGyvers, capable of fixing most anything that breaks with most anything that can be found, most people in the developed world cannot figure out how to change the oil in their own cars.

That being said, it is somewhat incredible that people who cannot get food into their country, whose only airport and seaport have been too badly damaged to function, cannot contact the outside world except through the internet.

if its any good, that exopad and the others i've seen on ebay are more the type of thing i am looking for...

my boss said 'i want an ipad'

i asked for what reasons, because, aside from surfing non-flash sites and emailing, its no use for work.

he said 'because it looks cool'.

;)

my boss said 'i want an ipad'

i asked for what reasons, because, aside from surfing non-flash sites and emailing, its no use for work.

he said 'because it looks cool'.

;)

I think this is why the iPad will sell loads, because people like this will buy them, my boss says teh same thing, he wants one because it looks cool.

That's they why Apple products have been for a while, nothing great, but they look cool and have great marketing.

I've got to admit, I was getting exciting in the run up to the release, it was sounding interesting, but when Steve Jobs released it and it was just a big iPod, I was very disapointed. I don't want to run "apps", I want to run applications. The rest of the faults I'm sure will be dealt with in version 2 & 3, where apple fan boys will rush to buy the lastest version, creating even more sales for apple. It's being tied to the iTune$ store is a deal breaker for me.

Also the fan boys keep saying it costs US$499, but it doesn't. Who is really going to buy the 16Gb version. In fact the only reason that was released is to get the headlines, I predict it'll be dropped within a year.

I think I'll wait for some of the Windows 7 tablets, that way I can get them at a better price, and also have the useablity that I want. Like I said, I'm sure it'll be very successful for apple, but it's not for me.

I don't like Apple because like most of their products things look nice and shiny but lack power and functionality. I have a windows based Novatech laptop, it doesn't look pretty and sleek but its got a 5.8 computer index rating (most home comps have around a 4.5, 5.9 is the highest)

it would kick the *albatross* of anything apple comes up with. Also if this is like any of their other products it will probs need a battery replacement every year and need to be 'restored'! Lol it's nothing more than an iPod touch supersized and marketed to 'non tablet PC users'.

There are other tablet pcs with the same functionallity, probably lower price and with much more power!

Although saying that I'm postin from an iPhone! Lol

Archived