Knight's Armament Rifles/Other

My selectors are still fine. I need to tighten their screws once in a blue moon, but they're still working as intended.

I'm calling BS......... They wobble like ######, I have looked at 4 of these things in person and all share the same issue. I doubt yours is an exception. Maybe they stay on, but they are not even as solid as a JG selector switch, and that says something.

Gonna have to source a VFC E series selector switch and give it a go, I might also try a G&G set.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm calling BS......... They wobble like ######, I have looked at 4 of these things in person and all share the same issue. I doubt yours is an exception. Maybe they stay on, but they are not even as solid as a JG selector switch, and that says something.

Gonna have to source a VFC E series selector switch and give it a go, I might also try a G&G set.

Watch your mouth fiddle, no need to resort to swearing.

I've had my VFC SR15 for a good couple months now.

Running it stock with a 11.1v lipo and Prom TBB and purple bucking. I haven't had so much as a hiccup yet.

About the selector switch:

Yes the bolt catch side's selector is a "bit" loose, with about a couple millimeter's worth of play but i am not anal enough to let that bother me.

Besides this slight, highly insignificant factor, I can't see anyone justifying the VFC SR15/16 series as merely a "show piece".

This gun has performed way beyond my expectations for a stock AEG running on an 11.1v lipo and the VFC externals make it (IMHO) second to none.

-Shin

PS: "show piece" is one word :rolleyes:

Edited by luvs2shoot

Lets not turn this into a raging flame battle now shall we? The VFC ambi-selector is by far the biggest let down on the gun. Yeah it is a neat feature, but the wobble is something terrible. Whilst in the grand scheme of things this really is a minor niggle(I opened up the GB yesterday, I was impressed and surprised, miles better than the old HK416s), I really wish it was something that was sorted in the factory considering A) KA was able to make a far better and less proprietary parts version for a CHEAPER gun and B) The gun costs a very pretty penny.

You know, what holds selectors in their position is a spring and detent ball. You can modify the track, use a stiffer spring and different ball to get positive selector positioning. Some would say it works better than whining.

You know, what holds selectors in their position is a spring and detent ball. You can modify the track, use a stiffer spring and different ball to get positive selector positioning. Some would say it works better than whining.

The spring isnt the issue. I have all ready tried this.... Its not like a regular V2 selector.... there are gears on the side of the mechbox that turns the selector.

I am hardly whining.... Just pointing out the WORST part of the best AR out there. If anyone has figured out a solution that works, let me know.

I run my guns pretty hard. Sorry to hear you've had a hard time with yours. While I do collect some pieces, my VFC SR15's and SR16 are my workhorses. I use them for full days putting thousands of rounds through them each day I play. I'm constantly switching from safe to fire whenever I'm coming up on target. And I'm using the ambi selector to do it (thumb moving the left side selector from safe to fire, index finger moving the right side selector from fire to safe). Yes, the design is not perfect. VFC used a mechanical gear setup and as has been pointed out there is a minute amount of play in the right side selector. Does it bug me? Yes, it used to. Does it still bug me? No, not really. I'm still able to use the right side selector, and even with the minor play in movement, it still does the job. The ONLY time I've ever had an issue with the selector was when the left side selector's screw back out far enough that the selector wasn't engaging and the selector and screw could have fallen out. I tightened it down and that was the end of it.

As for the feature you're in disapproval of, I simply don't ever see a resolution for rectifying the current setup the way it is to your satisfaction. The play in the right side selector is due to the mechanical gears. It's basically unavoidable. But for me, it still works as I need it to (i.e. I can ambidextrously switch fire select modes). Perfect? No. Does it still work? Yes. And for me that's fine.

The spring isnt the issue. I have all ready tried this.... Its not like a regular V2 selector.... there are gears on the side of the mechbox that turns the selector.

I am hardly whining.... Just pointing out the WORST part of the best AR out there. If anyone has figured out a solution that works, let me know.

If you're talking about the right side selector's slight wobble... buy a GBB SR15E3 IWS setup with a Prime body kit, or accept the slight wobble for $1k less.

If you're selectors are creeping enough to move off of semi/safe/auto then what I originally said is still valid. It's all in the detent, get a better detent.

The KA SR15 doesn't wobble a lot.... :D

Correct me if I'm wrong, you do have the SR15/16 in both KA & VFC correct?

If so, does your KA SR16's paint finish seem glossy? How different is the KA finish from the VFC?

I am contemplating on a KA SR16 purchase next week but I feel that KA paint finishes seem to be a bit shiny.

Thanks!

Where'd you get the can Fiddle? And what brand is it?

@Lambo: My SR15's finish is great. Its not as matte as the VFC or G&P's, but its definitely far from being glossy. Its like if you were to have just finished oiling the body and have completely wiped off the oil so that there is only that really fine, fine layer of oil left. Think of that except a little duller and that basically sums up my finish. I've had the gun for a good six months now and the finish still looks like how it did when I first opened the box (aside from the scratches on my behalf of course) and I handle my guns (especially the SR15) multiple times a day, everyday.

Where'd you get the can Fiddle? And what brand is it?

I got it from ehobbyasia, It is a dytac M42000 and they run 70ish.

@Lambo: My SR15's finish is great. Its not as matte as the VFC or G&P's, but its definitely far from being glossy.

Bare in mind, your gun is allready scratching, this wouldn't happen with the VFC finish. Infact, it wouldn't happen as bad with even a G&P MBK.

Its like if you were to have just finished oiling the body and have completely wiped off the oil so that there is only that really fine, fine layer of oil left. Think of that except a little duller and that basically sums up my finish. I've had the gun for a good six months now and the finish still looks like how it did when I first opened the box (aside from the scratches on my behalf of course) and I handle my guns (especially the SR15) multiple times a day, everyday.

As do I with the VFC, and having a KA MBK of my own, I know it is more prone to scratches than a VFC. I would even go as far as saying the KA finish is sub-par to G&P and VFC, and that is definitely something KA has room to improve on.

Thanks for the info on the can.

I'd agree with you in saying that the KA finish is more prone to scratching than the VFC, however, that is only on the actual receiver of the rifle; the RIS is worlds apart from the receiver finish. I still wouldn't say its VFC (since VFC uses the same processes as RS) but its damn close and has been nearly next to impossible to scratch. My G&P finishes on the other hand have been nice while they lasted, but they scratched and wore far too easily.

Oh and the only reason why my KA scratched was cause when I was disassembling the left side mag release I pushed too hard at a bad angle. Aside from that, it has acquired no scratches from everyday/field use.

I've had the VFC SR16 before. The previous owner was very skilled and made the gun look 100% like the one Chris Costa used in the Magpul video. And I see many people on this forum have done the same.

Externally, it's a beauty no doubt. The finish is excellent and very durable.

But internally it's not up to the latest G&P competition. The hopup assembly has some wobble and the loading nozzle is still plastic (really should be a metal one from the price). Hopup chamber is also plastic. These too factors combine to limit the FPS consistency of the stock gun.

That said, with some internal work, it should be a VERY durable and skirmish able gun. But for the price... I'd get a G&P

08kecarv,

Thanks for that info!

Trying out the specter DR on the SR

I love how the AFG looks on a SBR. The specter DR also looks quite nice with it. Is that the chinese replica?

Does it have both red dot and 4x magnify?

Cheers

Edited by alston251