Jumping into the GBB Rifle Bandwagon

lambolurker

A few important reasons:

-A complete lack of options (tons of M4, one AK and one Scar): I've always liked the less popular guns and those aren't available in GBB (P90, Xm8, Aug, Famas :P, etc)

-Unreliability: Never owned one but so many people have problems with them, from the gun it self to the mags, everything seems to be more prone to failure than an AEG.

-Performance: Accuracy is greatly determined by the consistency of the gun, a 20+/- FPS fluctuation doesn't help.

-Paintball Background: I come from playing paintball and god knows I don't want to have anything to do with any sort of gas for a while.

-Price Tag: They are *fruitcage* expensive (especially the mags), not much else to explain on this point xD.

Although there are some things I like about them:

-Operation: The closest you can get to the real thing without killing people in the process (or shooting at paper targets xD).

-Sound: AEG make that awful sewing-machine sound we all hate.

The kick isn't that great, even in the most expensive models.

In my opinion the future is in EBB guns, systems like tremors will set a new standard in Airsoft...not sure how they will deal with the sound though.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Need more P90

'FireKnife'

You're not the only person I've heard this from but I still don't get it. The mechanism is internal, so you would see nothing moving, and the amount of recoil a GIM would deliver would be more than the real thing.... Why not just get those tremors gears and call it a day?

I bought my first GBBR (SP m16) because it was the only GBBR available on the market for less than $1500. The G&P WOC I have is a tinker toy, and dosen't feed BBs right now. I never expect to field it. The GHK I had I played with once, and it did fine, for all of the 15 mins I used it, and all that was was shooting paper targets, not even a game. Although I don't understand why most people bother with AEGs, they too are horrible, I have had two Asahi bushmasters that have been going strong for a little more than 20 years...

Why not just get those tremors gears and call it a day?

Presumably because they're not gears, its a recoil kit that fits in AR buffer tubes and uses the piston to drive it back, which is something you can't fit in an P90 because the spring guide is about 1" from your shoulder.

If there were more models available .Took a series of CO2 caps in the gun, as many as you could squeeze in. So you could use aeg mags, the gas lasted a while ,easy to gas up, you could easily carry gas ,and not effected by the temp so badly. Also it would have to be reliable ,I think having the gas in the gun would help reliability too.

Presumably because they're not gears, its a recoil kit that fits in AR buffer tubes and uses the piston to drive it back, which is something you can't fit in an P90 because the spring guide is about 1" from your shoulder.

Ah I was under the impression it was a counter weighted gear....

a GIG P90 would force me to sell my car just to get one ASAP.

The ideal setup would be AEG mags with a "sensor-thingy" to not fire when empty, 2 or more CO2 cartridges connected in the stock, a way to adjust the velocity and the thing i really hate is those 30rps guns, why not keep the fire rate at real levels (750-900rpm as most full auto weapons) when you have gone to these lenghts to be as realistic as possible anyway...

the thing i really hate is those 30rps guns, why not keep the fire rate at real levels (750-900rpm as most full auto weapons) when you have gone to these lenghts to be as realistic as possible anyway...

Because they want laser guns. One more con for GBB rifles is that going full auto really messes up your groups from the recoil. On the other hand, it teaches you to actually use weapon sights as opposed to walking a stream of bbs.

I got mine becuase I got fed up of the fact that 90% of the time all aeg's are the same, they just look different. I found that there was very little difference between aeg's. Granted some have x features etc. But generally they are all the same thing in different bodies. Yet GBBr (in my opinion) are far more personal, though they all mostly look the same, they all behave and act a little differently.

I have an AGM M4 (whats left of the AGM anyway) and I love it. I've used it in -4 temps with green gas with good success. And that was stock. Granted I have spent a shed load of money to get it reliable etc (still needs some tweaks) but imo, it's worth it, it feels like it has more personality than any gun I've owned previously.

All I want now is CO2 in it I'll be really happy.

I'd say if you want a GBBr then go for it, but be prepared to put work on it a fair bit, and to spend money on it (a lot im some cases).

The KJW series are at the moment the most reliable and cheapest option (in the long run), but have few aftermarket parts and custom options, WE is a little more unreliable, but can take co2, while the WA/G&P/AGM/INO platform is the most expensive, unreliable system. But In my opinion the large amount of aftermarket parts and realism of its mechanism makes up for it, either that or I'm mentally insane.

That's my 2 pennies anyway.

Alex

Because they want laser guns. One more con for GBB rifles is that going full auto really messes up your groups from the recoil. On the other hand, it teaches you to actually use weapon sights as opposed to walking a stream of bbs.

Because the recoil is so tremendous! I applaud your fine weapon handling skills, I wish I had the brains and skills to use something more than my laser gun. :rolleyes:

Do the anti GIM people realize that external gas is widely available, with many more options than GIM? Offer more consistency and AEG magazine compatibility?

External gas? Like carrying a gas cartridge on your back or directly attach to your replica? Not being able to swap hands easily, having a remote gas connection with a hose that gets stuck on branches?.

No thanks, I rather have an AEG with no kick at all.

External gas? Like carrying a gas cartridge on your back or directly attach to your replica? Not being able to swap hands easily, having a remote gas connection with a hose that gets stuck on branches?.

I'd agree with you're final statement but if I was going to use a GBBR, it wouldnt be these new ones, they'd be the classicsoft variety, at least their very consistent and hugely power and a legitimate improvement over AEG's. That said I don't have the time or patience to get one lol.

While I don't like having a line connected to my gun. It has no affect on being able to swap hands, much like a sling. There are ways around everything. If you don't want a GBB then don't buy one, but when people complain about trivial features it's really nothing more than fodder in the thread.

Personally, I like my GBBr and my 2 AEG's. I work to make my GBBr as reliable as possible but plan to use my AEG's. Cost and maintenance are the only downsides I notice (I prefer 40-50 rounds per mag and using semi). I don't really have much of an issue with either as long as I have my backups.

Because the recoil is so tremendous! I applaud your fine weapon handling skills, I wish I had the brains and skills to use something more than my laser gun. :rolleyes:

I take it that you're a hoser. <_< Not that the recoil is immense, it's still there, and trying to hit something 40m out on full auto does get hard especially since mags will only hold 30~50 unlike 300~500 on AEGs. If it's one thing I learned from using a GBB rifle, it's learning how to shoot properly instead of shooting more just to get my mark.

When I started considering taking up airsoft i was almost more interested in GBBR's than AEG's so opted to get a gbb over a aeg and i wasn't disapointed. Its nice to know you are able to keep someone pinned down and put fire down when attacking but can't compete with a GBBR for fun

If i want "blowback, kick and realism", ill go shoot my $200 ruger 10/22. Hella alot more accurate then any airsoft gun, way more reliable too

My magnum powered "quiet geared" sewing machine has a better ROF, more consistant FPS, and trigger response is dead on, Weather its a 20rd mag or a 450rd hicap

Leave GBB's for sidearms, and SMGs, Namely a 1911 and a MP7

I take it that you're a hoser. <_< Not that the recoil is immense, it's still there, and trying to hit something 40m out on full auto does get hard especially since mags will only hold 30~50 unlike 300~500 on AEGs. If it's one thing I learned from using a GBB rifle, it's learning how to shoot properly instead of shooting more just to get my mark.

QFT

I always like when people think that AEG's bigger ROF or bigger mags are always an advantage over GBBR's, just because you play that way doesn't mean everyone does it too. BOTH my GBBR's and AEG's have the same ROF, 750~900rpms like you know .. the real ones they represent ? And even the mags i carry for the AEG's are a mix between 30 rounders to a max of 68 rounders.

Thank god 80% of whom i play with doesn't use mags bigger than 100 rounders ... even all the big games i attend don't allow the use of high caps ( more than 100 bb's ) unless you're carrying a M249, M60 and the like.

Different communities different ideologies i guess, seems that in the US there are so many high capers ?

I shoot plenty of real guns for a living, the bonuses of owning a GBB gun (blowback, realism etc) mean nothing to me. I use midcaps, i fire single shot with my AEGs, and i can use them all year round in England!

To me GBBs are a way of spending loads of money on gas for a weapon that only works half the year (in the UK at least).

Darkchild

Yep. Hosing targets with mid-caps and semi-auto is just a blast. :o

I have no issues with people who choose to use a GBBR, but making blanket statements about people who use AEGs is just dumb.

You learned how to shoot properly using a GBBR, that doesn't mean everyone who doesn't use one doesn't know how to shoot.

If I were to super impose my experiences, on everyone I ever met on teh interwebs, no one use uses a GBBR would do anything besides take pretty pictures of it in their room and never skirmish it.

Are their some people out there who do want a super high ROF laser beam gun with their 300 round magazines? Yes. But there's at least as many people out there who don't or end up with a high ROF due to lowering trigger response time.

Archived