Medal of Honor

[-=O=-]^{Woozie}

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got my beta today, some impressions:

1. As Horsem4n said, there are a number of bugs - chatting doesn't work, ridiculous bullet travel issues, etc.

2. Game isn't exquisite in the graphics department - it's good, but not KZ3/Crysis good.

3. A lot more slow paced than MW2 - no people running around knifing, no people camping (force v force situations change VERY quickly) - like a good FPS should be.

4. Weapon customizability is pretty big - only few weapons to choose from in the beta (M16, M249 SPW, M4, M24, M14, AK47, PKM, AKS74U, SV98, SVD) since there's only 3 classes, but I'm sure that'll open up later.

5. Damage is ridiculous - takes half a mag to kill someone.

I'll probably play a bit more just to unlock the weapons and attachments - it's a good break from MW2, which to me is now just a knifing game XD.

something thats been bothering me recently is a pairing of the low damage and low recoil of most of the automatic weapons, makes them feel like their shooting toothpicks.

but one thing im enjoying is the shotgun with slug shells. made it pretty realistic compared to most other games they appear in.

• 1 month later...

Here's my take, if anyone cares.

The single player looks amazing, I cannot wait to play it.

I have deep seeded hatred for the MW2 marketing campaign and most things modern warfare 2 related mostly due to the fan base.

Like the retarded *albatross* Eminem trailer. I turn on game trailers and I see a Linkin Park MOH trailer, which don't get me wrong, was an AMAZINGLY well done trailer. But they're marketing this to the same people. Which means I'm going to get on multiplayer and hear one eleventeen year old tell me how he porked my grandmother and then that's it, I'm done.

I'll give it a chance, but i'm getting whiffs of MW2 off this. I'm frightened.

This game better come with a free fake beard and a pair of oakleys or i'm going to be ######.

the special edition is like bad company 2s special edition. it only comes with a few in game items (in this case, automatic access to the MP7 and shotguns and if you pre order the game, you will have a sure spot in the battlefield 3 beta).

as for the community, well, videogame communities are never very good. i just play the game with no mic since nobody uses them for a tactical advantage anyway.

its all about who's your daddy and what they did with my mom last night.

Seems a lot like MAG, to be honest. Why does it take so many shots to put a guy down? I'll only play it if it has a 'hardcore', one-shot-kill mode, and even then if it's too much like MW2, I'll trade it in.

God, I hate this 'unlock' type mechanic that seems prevalent in newer FPS games. Seriously, if you balanced the game properly, you wouldn't need to restrict access to certain guns.

Give me MOH:AA any day - where the weapons were selectable by type. If you were the American team and you selected a rifle, you got the M1. If you were on the German team and selected a rifle, you'd get the K98k, and so on. You can still pick up the enemy weapons on the dead bodies, etc.

As for videogame communities, out of all the platforms I play, I have to say the Xbox 360 gamers are by far the best. PS3 has a lame interface that makes it clunky. Xbox Live is a great, stable system - which shows you definitely get what you pay for!

Weapon customisation sounds inviting enough, but if anywhere in the game it takes half a magazine of 7.62 to down somebody, I'm throwing it in the bin.

In other news, there is going to be a new game in the Operation Flashpoint franchise - Operation Flashpoint 3: Red River. Even though it's Codemasters (and I swore not to buy another game developed by them due to them making promises they won't keep AND blatantly lying about the sizes/sandbox elements of the games they put out) I'm looking forward to it, as it's certainly much more of a thinking man's shooter than these arcade-y blast-'em-ups.

They've promised better A.I., and an all round better game than OpFp2:DR. We'll see.

Ben.

God, I hate this 'unlock' type mechanic that seems prevalent in newer FPS games. Seriously, if you balanced the game properly, you wouldn't need to restrict access to certain guns.

It's not about game balance, it's about mechanisms that keep you playing the game... FOREVER.

but its still an arcady shoot'em'up, which i happen to like. cause it feels good to own people and then get rage kicked for "hacking". the thing i hate about games like Arma or Op flashpoint is that it takes the battles to a whole new level of long range (well, realistic range) and the developers do so much to make the realistic range work, it ruins the mechanics for shooting at CQB ranges. the games dont feel fluid and are generally clunky. these arcade shooters like CoD, BC2 and MoH are my go to game for fast action. if i want to play something like Arma, i go out and *fruitcage*ing play airsoft! :P

It's not about game balance, it's about mechanisms that keep you playing the game... FOREVER.

GoldenEye had some unlocks, but not many. Most were absurdly difficult to get or were completely useless. Yet I played that forever and a day. I still go back to it, every now and then.

MechWarrior 2 had no unlocks. (Except in Mercenaries. And even then, only in Campaign. And that was ruled more by money management, salvage, and the technology available as the time frame the game is set in advances. And you'd have a hard time explaining how the Raven is better than an Atlas. Unless you want to go fast.) And that I could still play, if my PC would run it. Back during the days of Windows 95 and 98, I played through all three games at least once or twice a year.

I've replayed the Ghost Recon series a number of times... and since Ghost Recon 2, there have been no unlocks. Operation: Flashpoint has no unlocks and I frequently jump on that, boot up the mission editor, and faff about for the fun of it.

For me, unlocks are retarded. Primarily because if you lock a weapon or piece of kit that I want and I cannot get it with a couple of days of effort, I will simply quit playing the game (this is why I don't play any of the COD games or Halo on-line). Unlockable content is simply a sign, in my opinion, of a lazy developer.

thats a weird opinion TBH, to think that the unlock system is a sign of laziness. i don't see why its lazy, its just a end result of good market research.

this is another example that there are always exceptions in anything. the sad case right now is that the attention span of most gamers are very short, if they aren't constantly unlocking things, they stop playing the game out of boredom (unfortunately, thats the reason i don't replay any of my classic shooters. i respect them, which is why i keep them, but they bore me). which is different from someone like you who doesn't have the patience to unlock the kit he wants to use. but, the population of players like you are VERY small compared to the population of players that the current crop of arcade shooters are made for.

but anyway, are we arguing? i didn't mean to.

This game does not play like MW2 at all, even though videos may make it seem that way. It plays like a faster paced Bad Company 2, but it is laggy, making it feel slower than BC2, if that makes any sense. The only thing it takes from MW2 over BC2 is that it has kill streaks (scorechains).

http://kotaku.com/5618956/british-defense-boss-wants-medal-of-honor-banned

How tempting it was to write "Fox wants Medal of Honor banned." For while the U.K.'s defense (sigh, defence) secretary is named Liam Fox, he's not the fearmongering U.S. network.

Fox (again, man, not network) is of course ###### that the game's multiplayer mode allows one side to fight as Taliban insurgents against 'Mericans - sorry, coalition forces. Many in this noncontroversy have gone out of their way to take offense (sigh, offence) but Fox (not the network) gets special commendation. He's assuming that because one of the multiplayer maps is set within Helmland province, where U.K. forces are based, this explicitly means the game's killing British troops.

"I am disgusted and angry. It's hard to believe any citizen of our country would wish to buy such a thoroughly un-British game," the man who is not the network said. "I would urge retailers to show their support for our armed forces and ban this tasteless product."

Really, y'all have jingo-spouting superpatriots over there, too? Damn.

I mean, why hasn't U.S. Defence (sorry, Defense) Secretary Robert Gates had anything to say about Medal of Honor? Possibly because he is a sensible man with bigger responsibilities to fulfill right now.

slayer, i dont know about you, but i have been playing MoH since the beginning of the beta. i also have a healthy amount of play time with all CoD games (they all feel the same except CoD:3) and bad company 2. and in my honest opinion, i feel like MoH feels like a mix of both bad company 2 and CoD(in general). it feels like battlefield more-so though because the beta build leaches a lot of the animations from BC2, but the CoD feeling for me comes from how fluid it feels for CQB, something that feels very sloppy in BC2. i just hope they get the rest of the floaty feeling out of it by using the animations created for the game and not the ones from BC2.

I played the beta for PC. Despite never getting a good connection all the guns seemed to be to accurate with not enough recoil. The pistols are amazing at long distances. Also the hit markers and kill messages are useless, they flash right in front of your screen and obstruct vision.

The whole thing that bothers me about this game is the interviews with developers, how basically they talk about beards just being a symbol of some one who is 'badass' and 'Tier 1'. They totally missed the point of them.

However the single player interests me as the story might be decent. I'll probably rent it and decide if I want to pick it up.

Archived