Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My encounter with the AA has left me impressed.

My clutch cable snapped. The guy cut a length of new cable, whipped out a god damn crucible by the roadside and cast new ends on it that were suitable for my bike. 

Then installed the cable and I was away.

I called them at 8:15.

I put backside on office chair with a coffee in hand at 9:45.

My years membership was worth every penny.

I was very impressed when I had to use them.  With me within about 30 mins or so.  Turned up just as I was about to get a ticket as I was double yellows which was handy.  Towed me home as gearbox was FUBAR. 

Plus John Wick has hit VOD so you can tell your local cinema to go and swivel with their massively delayed release date.

Cinema release dates are retarded. 

If they really want to kill piracy, releasing worldwide on the same day would be a good start. That, and stop calling it piracy. Pirates are cool.

EDIT: A customer just sent an email containing the line "I am a solicitor and therefore speak with authority". 

OK you pompous motherfudger, you want to play it like that? Game on.

Cinema release dates are retarded. 

If they really want to kill piracy, releasing worldwide on the same day would be a good start. That, and stop calling it piracy. Pirates are cool.

This.

Two simple, obvious things to be done to basically eliminate pirate films - stop having stupid staggered release dates and put the goddamn prices down. Take some of the money you keep ploughing into anti-piracy lobbying, anti-copying software, etc and use it to subsidise the price of tickets and discs.

At heart, I believe that most people would prefer to have a genuine release DVD on their shelf than have a copy on their hard drive or whatever. People don't object to artists getting paid for their work. They DO object to a night at the cinema with the missus costing over £30. They DO object to paying £20 or so for a new release film at the shop.

So, it's simple - put the price down. Cinema tickets would be cheaper if the cinema wasn't gouged so hard by the publishers - which could charge less if they spent their money more sensibly. Likewise with DVD/Blu-Ray releases.

Another thing - no matter how good an actor or director or whatever is, do they *REALLY* deserve a multi-million dollar contract for EACH film they make? Really? I'm sure they could get by with less. And then the film's budget would be lower, so the price per release could be lower and still end up making *MORE* profit overall, which might end up making the actor/director/whoever MORE money in the long run if they had a percentage deal. Everyone's a winner...

Your bank balance makes it a bit cooler though! Think of the money!

As for the AA, never had a problem.

Yeah loads of money, my last contract they tried paying me $50 a day for sitting off the Saudi coast for a month guarding a tanker. I can't even pay my bills with that. That's why I don't do it anymore.

Darkchild

And here I was thinking that kind of thing was very lucrative or are those days gone?  Or is still still profitable, you just have to be right in the middle of dangerous *suitcase*?

And did you have to chuck weapons overboard after a contract ended?  I've seen photos of and I've always wondered how common it was.

Last I heard the money has gone down due to demand. So many companies now and as such have to compete, best way thy can is to charge less and hope that other companies got tits up. Once they get market share back, up the prices again. Sucks eggs for the people trying to make a living though. It's the ugly truth of business. Saturate the market till it's not profitable anymore, watch other companies/competitors go under, then start to up the prices again, as there is no-one else.

John Wick is on VOD, nice one. There really is no excuse for delaying the release of movies these days (from a technical stand point). But normally it's the deal that *fruitcage*s up international release. It's why Dog Soldiers didn't get a cinema release in America (it premiered on TV, due to contract *fruitcage* ups with who had the right to release the movie on video/DVD).

Lots of utter *Ubarflock* in the film industry that wreck things.  I was reading about Snowpiercer the other day.  Awesome film that opened in barely any screens in the US as the US distributor couldn't get his way with cuts he wanted.  The director told him to *fruitcage* right off and a limited cinema release was the result.  Bloody pathetic.

Apologies but I can't remember how to spell it, but Chappy/Chappie looks good. I didn't mind 'Elysium' but really enjoyed 'District 9', fingers crossed that the next movie by Blom, Chappy/Chappie, is good (even number = okay, odd number = good. Well, I hope that's the case with Chappy/Chappie, Bloms third movie).

The pay has gone down because the market has been flooded with Nepalese, Filipinos, Indians and Srilankans. I was on £250 a day in 2011, but when companies can pay those guys $50 a day and their insurance premiums stay down, they don't much care if they don't get a quality of service.

Westerners just can't compete anymore.

Throwing weapons overboard was only for the *suitcasey* companies that never bothered getting proper paperwork, or supplies, or negotiated contracts to store their weapons.

Darkchild

Learning more on the job.

Banked the fruit machine takings the other day and today learned about refilling the machines.

I also had to do what's supposedly one of the hardest things of being in charge and pull someone aside to explain that they hadn't done what they'd been entrusted with (covering my break on the floor) to an acceptable standard. Pub manager said I dealt with it very well, as opposed to lording it over them. Which to be honest I don't think would get decent results anyway, and no-one in a position of authority should ask something of others they wouldn't do themselves.

So, wife is out and I'm on dad detail tonight, which involves making tea for the child.

All I can say is tesco crazy bears are delicious!

Seriously, try them. The wife cooks hom proper stuff, but men don't have time for that, we're off to the pub in a bit!

Apologies but I can't remember how to spell it, but Chappy/Chappie looks good. I didn't mind 'Elysium' but really enjoyed 'District 9', fingers crossed that the next movie by Blom, Chappy/Chappie, is good (even number = okay, odd number = good. Well, I hope that's the case with Chappy/Chappie, Bloms third movie).

Indeed.  Chappie looks awesome.  Really looking forward to it.  New trailer out.

I don't think would get decent results anyway, and no-one in a position of authority should ask something of others they wouldn't do themselves.

If only all managers were like this. However from my experience, on average one in four are complete plums. Still mine are nice at the moment so all is good.

Well they tried calling it 'ninjaing' but same issue ;).

However totally agree. I would say at best you should get a week premiere in the country of origin for films, beyond that worldwide distribution. I feel sorry for people in places like Oz and NZ though. Some of the releases there are six months after US release (ok they are maybe not great films but still, six months). John Wick I am looking forward to and was tempted to see it in the cinema until I saw the original delay in screenings, it is still not good enough though they have moved it forward a bit.

Though Chappie to me looks a bit like updated Short Curcuit, except they haven't just gone and done a flat remake and tried to make it there own so kudos to that. I have no problem with updating an old idea, just not flat out remaking it with no effort. Plus as others have said decent director at the helm.

'FireKnife'

Archived