My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope I'm not being vilified here.

I said that I think criminals should had a hard time in prison but I also said that they should get some hard-core training and rehabilitation.

Perhaps the army for some of them?

I train some of those guys and you can see the sense of purpose transforming them into men.

I worked with some guys who were given the "army or prison" choice and I loved them all.

To help make the judicial system fairer I propose the abolition of the adversarial system.

Each case would have one lawyer appointed to it, not to fight for either side but to ensure procedural perfection and fairness, they would work together with the Judge to make sure all the evidence was presented and that the jury understand its ramifications.

If the lawyer is guilty of incompetence then they get the penalty that the criminal would have got.

Lots of things could be done a lot better if government had the balls to make big decisions instead of wishy-washy half hearted compromises.

Ah well, we're not going to change anything talking about it in the off topic threads on an airsoft forum.

Airsoft retailers.

GAAAAHAHAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!?!?!?!

I was looking for a gun part, as well as 4 new magazines.

The only places that had both in stock were in Hong Kong. Rhino Airsoft, who I've never used before, and Airsoft Buddy, who have a good reputation.

Rhino Airsoft use the old 'place your order and we'll get back to you with a shipping quote and payment details'. Fair enough. Apart from, I need the parts for a game next weekend.

And that I ordered two days ago, and they haven't been arsed to get back to me.

Airsoft Buddy, then. Though, wait, they won't take my card. Or my girlfriend's. Or my mum's. Oh, they take my dad's card. Great, problem solved.

Oh look, I've an e-mail. 'Dear sir, that part you wanted is out of stock (even though we said it was)'.

FFS.

Ben.

Up to date stock lists - the bane of online shopping.

Honestly, can it really be so difficult to achieve an accurate stock control system that updates the website? I guess so, because if it was easy, you'd think they'd be doing it...

What *REALLY* annoys me, though, is when they take your payment, THEN tell you that your item is out of stock. <_<

GRRRR... It really gets my wick.

Redwolf has a great stock system - if an item shows as in stock, it's in stock. If you add multiples, it'll even tell you that you've ordered too many, and they haven't got that many in stock.

But what's really annoying is, not only will I not have the part I need for the game, but I needed the magazines to be sent tomorrow so they'd get here on time.

Now I'll have to spend two or three days negotiating with HK retailers who only ever seem to reply to e-mails from customers once a day.

Sort it out!

Ben.

EVIKE.COM FAILS !!!

While that's almost certainly true, they do seem to offer items that are unavailable anywhere else. The fact that their series of youtube airsoft kit reviews seem to be made by 12 year olds, and for all I know, those are the people running the shop, is no reason to discount them completely as a retailer.

I, personally, have has positive dealings with them in the dim and distant past when I ordered the rare-as-hen's-teeth shorter barrels for Project AUG. They sent me the wrong part, but it was quickly sorted out, they sent the right part and I got to keep the other thing too (not that I wanted it, but still).

Since then, however, they seem to have stopped offering international shipping, amongst other things. Maybe under new management, I don't know? :unsure:

Up to date stock lists - the bane of online shopping.

Honestly, can it really be so difficult to achieve an accurate stock control system that updates the website? I guess so, because if it was easy, you'd think they'd be doing it...

What *REALLY* annoys me, though, is when they take your payment, THEN tell you that your item is out of stock. <_<

Except firesupport...

Add a item that is in stock to the basket and it takes it off the items in stock.... cancel or remove the item and it adds it back, simples really.

I said that I think criminals should had a hard time in prison but I also said that they should get some hard-core training and rehabilitation.

Something that is missed in the "Prison doesn't work, 40% of people imprisioned re-offend" argument is that 1) The majority of people imprisoned for an offence do NOT reoffend, and that often, when someone is sent to prison, they already have a number of previous convictions, indicating that the non-custodial approach has been tried and for one reason or another, has failed. I'd be very interested to see the levels of re-offending among first time offenders sentenced to non-custodial approaches. The headlines will shout that community service et al doesn't work, but what's the proof?

However, by the time someone is sentenced to prison, I'd like a 3 tier scheme in place.

First time inside: Emphasis on rehabilitation, counselling, education, (GCSE/A Level/Degree if qualified and have enough time), and trade training. Rewards for good behavious and/or achieving objectives. The emphasis being on giving offenders a second chance, (non-custodial offences being the first chance), to get out of a life of crime. This would be in, (funding permitting), open prison type prisons. Time off for good behaviour and completing programs.

Second time inside: Mainstream prison, but still with counselling, trade training and education. Time off for good behaviour reduced but not removed.

Third and subsequent time inside: Mainstream prison. Counselling available, but education or training must be earnt. FULL Sentence to be served. At this point, you're no longer trying to rehabilitate the offender but you are protecting the public. No further life sentences. ALL sentences to be for a finite period.

Something that is missed in the "Prison doesn't work, 40% of people imprisioned re-offend" argument is that 1) The majority of people imprisoned for an offence do NOT reoffend, and that often, when someone is sent to prison, they already have a number of previous convictions, indicating that the non-custodial approach has been tried and for one reason or another, has failed. I'd be very interested to see the levels of re-offending among first time offenders sentenced to non-custodial approaches. The headlines will shout that community service et al doesn't work, but what's the proof?

However, by the time someone is sentenced to prison, I'd like a 3 tier scheme in place.

First time inside: Emphasis on rehabilitation, counselling, education, (GCSE/A Level/Degree if qualified and have enough time), and trade training. Rewards for good behavious and/or achieving objectives. The emphasis being on giving offenders a second chance, (non-custodial offences being the first chance), to get out of a life of crime. This would be in, (funding permitting), open prison type prisons. Time off for good behaviour and completing programs.

Second time inside: Mainstream prison, but still with counselling, trade training and education. Time off for good behaviour reduced but not removed.

Third and subsequent time inside: Mainstream prison. Counselling available, but education or training must be earnt. FULL Sentence to be served. At this point, you're no longer trying to rehabilitate the offender but you are protecting the public. No further life sentences. ALL sentences to be for a finite period.

THAT I like.

Capital punishment doesnt work for one simple reason. What if they have the wrong man?

If you think "Oh, but our justice system is fair, and it works", as yourself this: would a cop ever lie? If you say yes, thanks for proving my point. If you said no, take off the rose tinted glasses and look up cases like the Birmingham Six and John Christie.

Plus, doesnt our justice system have legislation against cruel and unusual punishments? I'll bet the same orangutans who beg for criminals to be tortured until death would be horrified at in depth accounts of the dungeons of the dark ages, and accurate depictions of the Inquisition's trials. Why would anyone want to send our civilisation back to those days where people were killed in most barbaric fashion for petty crime or oftentimes no crime at all?

Sorry, I take that back. Orangutans don't torture or revel in another's pain for mere prurient pleasure.

You do realise that when you start insulting people with a different viewpoint from yours that you have LOST the discussion by default, right? <_<

Why should we protect criminals rather than victims? You might sing a different tune if you became one of those victims.

The idea I most favour is a simple one - let the victims decide (with guidance, of course) on a fitting punishment for the guilty party or parties involved. That way, if they're happy with monetary compensation, community service or whatever, then fine; if they feel more inclined to see some old-school justice handed out with an iron hand, eye for an eye style, then Mr criminal picked the wrong people that day. Tough luck, pal.

Combine that with the outlaw idea earlier, and that does it for me.

I'm not saying that they shouldnt be punished. But at least at first there should be SOME attempt at rehabilitation.

And to be honest if you see a lot of those folks coming out of courtrooms after a crim is sentenced for their offspring's murder you will find as often or not they say they forgive him. What then?

If you act monstrously towards a monster, then you risk becoming a monster yourself. If someone condones a horrible crime, then is it not the same if that crime is committed upon a criminal?

And yeah, maybe I would think differently if I was a victim. But would you think differently if you were falsely accused of a crime and were tortured to death? Think about that. Think about the worst pain you have EVER felt, multiply it several times, and extend it over a long period of time.

You simply do not have ANY understanding of what you are trying to condone.

---

Outlawing doesnt work. Those people would get more and more desperate, and more willing to lash out most evilly towards the society that shuns them. Just like in many cases it shunned them during their childhoods when they were neglected or abused which caused them to turn to crime in the first place. If suicide is a cry for help, what is criminality?

You'd very soon end up with a siege mentality. What if that person walking towards you is an outlaw? What if he isnt? Oh my god, call the police - that man looked at me strangely so I think he is an outlaw! Next thing you know very very innocent people are being targeted and harrassed.

Does

Not

Work.

Archived