My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

RE covered things like racism in our school. Our teacher said only white people caused racism, and even racism against white people was because of the attitudes and actions of white people, meaning they deserved it. She was white herself, and had to leave a school down in London that was majority black because she took a load of racial abuse from the pupils but she somehow managed to blame all of that on white people as a collective group for causing that attitude in the black pupils.

As for traffic wardens, my uncle has recently become one. From day one, before he had even issued a ticket, he had been verbally abused by passing people. From what he says, they don't actually have to meet a target, they are merely there to enforce traffic rules and regs within the city.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got to say, I never once prayed in RE or talked about Catholicsism. Just about shanty towns, floods, famine and other disasters. Remember watching a movie about Bikko and the stupidity of racism. Learnt more about history in RE than I did when in a history lesson (only studied history up to year 3/9 seniors). Learnt about other religions, but it was a small part of the lesson and, was to show different cultures, and their beliefs.

Rant:- Hate it when I don't realise I've cut my hand. Not a lot of blood but still ruined one of my tops (hopefully soaking it in water and then throw it in the wash helps). First world problem.

Edit:- Azubi; would be interesting to know how your uncle gets on in his first month and how he copes wth the abuse. If you live in this country you agree with it's rules. It's not hard to move away from here, though it might sometimes take a lot of sacrifice (friends/family etc).

Exactly. See, for me personally, RE was anything but religious, in the classical sense. It was more Moral studies and how mankind is the virus to end all viruses etc. That we, as a people, are to blame for the ills of the world. It didn't change me or make me more aware of the wrongs committed in the world, but it did make me more aware of my own moral ideas. I liked it, but again, it wasn't because of the religious aspect, it was because of the moral questions that were discussed in the lesson.

Though nothing beats Mr Channels history lessons during my time at All Saints High School (yes roman chatholic). He was the best teacher and someone who didn't suffer fools lightly but was always someone you could go to toget an honest answer. I think because he taught my dad and uncle, that made me appreciate the fact he hadn't changed his teaching style (in over 25 years). Great teacher.

Second rant:- I'm glad my wife has gone to bed. Why? I have past wind all of 7 times now and each one got worse than the last. I hate my *albartroth* right now.

Edit:- Azubi; would be interesting to know how your uncle gets on in his first month and how he copes wth the abuse. If you live in this country you agree with it's rules. It's not hard to move away from here, though it might sometimes take a lot of sacrifice (friends/family etc).

He's been doing it around 3 months now and just brushes off the abuse. End of the day, he is doing a job he has been employed to do. It might not be a popular job, but it is a job and he gets on with it.

More of a jesus ouch moment than a rant, but first a cautionary note:

Treat bowling alleys like shooting rangers, no more than one bowler on the point at a time.

Long story short in an attempt to put three balls down the lane in the last 10 seconds of our allotted time I got clocked on the forehead by a bowling ball and have a nice 2'' gash over my left eyebrow that's being held together with superglue and steristrips. Apparently the CCTV footage was awesome and right out of an episode of You've Been Framed. 

I put the lack of further damage despite the rather loud 'thwock' we all heard down to my forehead having similar geometry to the slope armour of the Jagpanther.

The bowling is part of an arcade in one of the major shopping centres round here, from what I can tell (didn't organise it) you just book a time slot and a little 'minutes remaining' ticker is in the corner of the screen. After 2.5 hours we were all getting a bit giddy (I find it funny that as the guy who got injured I also had zero alcohol).

Bit of a long post but worth it.  Going back to traffic wardens.  I was having a discussion about ridiculous parking and my uncle comes out with this beauty.  He lives on a narrow street in greater London where cars park on both sides of the road so it can be a bit of a squeeze.  So much so that on bin day, the bin men will have to knock on doors to ask people to move their cars up on to the pavement (which is illegal to do in London) so they can drive the lorry through.  Lots of people anticipated this and move their cars up on to the pavement as a courtesy to the bin men.  This was standard until fairly recently when traffic wardens started coming down this entirely residential road, not even resident permits or anything, specifically on bin day.  They'll follow and hide behind the dustbin lorry and then sneak out and slap a ticket on the cars when they're moved to facilitate the the lorry passing through.  There are three lorries that pass through for the different types of rubbish so the owners will generally pop back inside and wait for all to pass so this is the wardens window.

Now one day, my uncle's neighbour saw a warden ticketing his car so he ran out and was like wtf? It is clearly moved for the binmen.  But there was no point in entering in a dialog with these *Ubarflock* as they know exactly what they're doing.

So he gets into his car and moves it off the pavement and back on the road correctly.  Now the thing is, the traffic wardens car is parked in the middle of the road, pretty much flush up against the cars on the right and now my uncle's neighbour's car on the right.  The space the warden had to get into his car now blocked by the now moved, legally parked car therefore the warden is unable to get back into his car.  It gets better, the warden had two or three trainee wardens in his car at this time who are unable to get out too.  They're quite youngish and don't really know what to do.  At this point the warden calls out on his radio for backup and bunch of traffic wardens turn up.  They tell my uncle's neighbour to move the car back on to the pavement but he refuses as it's illegal. 

And now it gets even better.  The wardens are getting extremely annoyed and call the police.  The police turn up and assess the situation and say to my uncles neighbour, 'we would ask you to move your car on to the pavement but that is illegal so we can't make you' Then they bugger off.  Eventually one of the trainee wardens in the car clambers into the drivers seat and is talked through driving up the street into some space despite not being able to drive.

And apparently this was all caught on film but I haven't seen it.  I'll try and get hold of it and stick it on YouTube.

I swear I have seen something like that occur before long ago, but more along the lines of a parade being blocked.

Bowling alleys can be a bit iffy at times, seen both of the systems described above used at the same alley at one point.

My rant of the day: paper writing and exam studying before this "Spring Break" nonsense, trying to maintain the house whilst folks are off in Florida, my mental state being tested by the ineptitude of the institution my family is insistent I get a degree from, and those screen protectors that just get fingerprints on them so fast (PSVita in my case).

My longstanding rant is that the one event that is closest to me in the upcoming month, that happens to coincide with this "break" and is what I thought could get me to persevere through my internal hell, happens to fall on the same day my father has to work his secondary job as a police officer for a distant community (think mall cop/closed community level, he does it to keep his credentials).  Since he cannot use his issued work car of his main job (undersheriff/political adviser), he has to use either the one I use or the one my mother uses, and whatever one he ends up picking, the other ends up being used by my mother for said day.  This has been one of the main sticking points stopping me from going to other games, but it is more unnerving when the usual excuse I tell myself "it is too far anyways for a winter game" is made irrelevant when one event is actually close to me.

I once had to visit a library (remember books?) and when I got there the only space left in the car park was bordered on both sides by people who had parked over the line into the aforementioned last space.

One had parked forwards and one had parked backwards so both cars had their driver's side doors next to the space.

I arrived and found that although I could fit my car (1980 2 door bob-tailed Range Rover) in the space I only had c2 inches of space either side and could not get out.

I lined up the car, got out, pushed it into the space and chocked the wheels.

I returned to the car park some 45 minutes later to find the owners of the cars still there waiting,

It seems that neither of the two groups of people had worked out that they could get in the passenger side.

I often wonder what such stupid people were doing at a library.

I once had to visit a library (remember books?) and when I got there the only space left in the car park was bordered on both sides by people who had parked over the line into the aforementioned last space.

One had parked forwards and one had parked backwards so both cars had their driver's side doors next to the space.

I arrived and found that although I could fit my car (1980 2 door bob-tailed Range Rover) in the space I only had c2 inches of space either side and could not get out.

I lined up the car, got out, pushed it into the space and chocked the wheels.

I returned to the car park some 45 minutes later to find the owners of the cars still there waiting,

It seems that neither of the two groups of people had worked out that they could get in the passenger side.

This made me giggle!

Also, even bob tailed, I wouldn't like to shove a range rover about...

Are you sure they were at the library?

Often if it is a source of free or cheap parking people will use it irrelevant of the actual purpose or attached building to the car park.

Happens a lot in Aberdeen given that the only major free car park is a large one down by the beach. Now it states 'for patrons of the facilities only' or some other such. However everyone drives down and parks there as their is no monitoring, no system to check when you entered the car park and no ticketing. Seeing as it is only a 5-10 minute walk into town from there it is often filled during the day.

I park there as often I am using the facilities at the beach and walking into town, one as I don't want to pay a minimum £1.25 an hour to park and two as it gives me an extra little 10min walk each way.

If they make you pay for that I really don't know what people would do, park anywhere and given the attitude of some people around here if they got ticketed we would find a lot of dead wardens turning up.

'FireKnife'

Bit of a long post but worth it. Going back to traffic wardens. I was having a discussion about ridiculous parking and my uncle comes out with this beauty. He lives on a narrow street in greater London where cars park on both sides of the road so it can be a bit of a squeeze. So much so that on bin day, the bin men will have to knock on doors to ask people to move their cars up on to the pavement (which is illegal to do in London) so they can drive the lorry through. Lots of people anticipated this and move their cars up on to the pavement as a courtesy to the bin men. This was standard until fairly recently when traffic wardens started coming down this entirely residential road, not even resident permits or anything, specifically on bin day. They'll follow and hide behind the dustbin lorry and then sneak out and slap a ticket on the cars when they're moved to facilitate the the lorry passing through. There are three lorries that pass through for the different types of rubbish so the owners will generally pop back inside and wait for all to pass so this is the wardens window.

Now one day, my uncle's neighbour saw a warden ticketing his car so he ran out and was like wtf? It is clearly moved for the binmen. But there was no point in entering in a dialog with these *Ubarflock* as they know exactly what they're doing.

So he gets into his car and moves it off the pavement and back on the road correctly. Now the thing is, the traffic wardens car is parked in the middle of the road, pretty much flush up against the cars on the right and now my uncle's neighbour's car on the right. The space the warden had to get into his car now blocked by the now moved, legally parked car therefore the warden is unable to get back into his car. It gets better, the warden had two or three trainee wardens in his car at this time who are unable to get out too. They're quite youngish and don't really know what to do. At this point the warden calls out on his radio for backup and bunch of traffic wardens turn up. They tell my uncle's neighbour to move the car back on to the pavement but he refuses as it's illegal.

And now it gets even better. The wardens are getting extremely annoyed and call the police. The police turn up and assess the situation and say to my uncles neighbour, 'we would ask you to move your car on to the pavement but that is illegal so we can't make you' Then they bugger off. Eventually one of the trainee wardens in the car clambers into the drivers seat and is talked through driving up the street into some space despite not being able to drive.

And apparently this was all caught on film but I haven't seen it. I'll try and get hold of it and stick it on YouTube.

Exactly the same thing happened a couple of years ago in finchley . A road that has had cars parking on the pavement since the dawn of time . Untill some parking hitler decided to start ticketing residents for doing so . The residents came together and parked on the road properly , and then the bin men could not gain access or any delivery lorries etc . And suspended rubbish collection . There are old old archive pictures of cars using the pavement to park on in this road for at least 40 years .

All it takes is one hitler to upset the majority's . All about revenue , nothing to do with traffic flow as usual .

Just had to deal with one of those ever intelligent people that doesn't bother to ask about international payments and postage for an eBay item and then still goes and wins the bid on the item. Totally useless *Ubarflock* these people are, at least when I say no to the ones that ask I think 'at least they bothered to ask'.

Now I have to do the whole thing over again and it just wastes my time dealing with pathetic wastes of spaces when an item is put down as UK only.

'FireKnife'

Yes of course but damn does it get annoying when you then have to wait another week for the item to sell etc.

At least eBay let you report people for it now, especially if you don't state an international postage option and they don't bother to ask before bidding :P.

Ah well, my copy of Senran Kagura is 98% sure to turn up tomorrow so that makes me happy instead :D.

'FireKnife'

I have been in work early for 7 weeks now on a monday doing a project. Meaning i start at 11:30am and finish about 9:15pm.

This morning first my shopping delivery was late meaning i basically power walked the intire way.

I have been dealing with these hours with a single copeing strategy, a pasty. by at about 1:30 i get a half hour or so free, power walk to Spar which is so over priced. However they sell Rowes hot large steak pastys which are easily top 3 best shop pastys in the world. I get to Spar to see the usually stuffed hot food rack BARE, bar a single weird looking stilton and something pasty. Looking for an alternative, all there was, was Ginsters pasties. Which to a half cornish Janner like me is like a picture of mohammed to a muslim. Now starving i decided to get a sandwhich, somehow i ended up with a ginsters , flat bread chicken and mango wrap.... not pleased.

Archived