My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate being stuck in that period between cash sent and awaiting RIF.

It is partly anticipation, partly as I don't trust half the couriers and postal service in this country and finally as much as it seems a waste of time with all the troubles it has caused I am waiting for the day the VCR-A feths with me about wanting to buy RIFs and that. Happaned last year with my Series 70 in Nickel and seems to happen once a year to me where a RIF goes walkies :(.

'FireKnife'

Ah, here's the rub though...

I want it to look good mounted on a rifle, and I want it bright enough to be of use. I haven't yet found a flashlight that I'm 100% happy with.

My Chinese Surefire scout light copy is exactly as you describe, it was a tenner I think.

Ahhhhh, torches. That ever elusive 'perfect' torch. Still looking for that 'just right' torch myself, though, I do have a soft spot for AP Pro Series torches (you can get them in B&Q). Not cheap but not expensive either. I have one mounted on my *badgeress* (magpul'ed up the *albartroth* M4, it's my workhorse) and use to have one on my P90 (May she rest in peace). Got two now, just incase.

Rant:- the rumblings of a head cold.

Some people even facebook each other whilst they are sitting opposite each other . Have seen it so many times with groups of teenagers in pubs / party's . Does anyone actualy talk face to face to each other anymore . ?

I play a great game when eating with my friends. Every must take their phone out. Place face down on the table. If someone picks theirs up for anything other than an incoming call, they get the tab. 

Works charms. 

I'm sad to say Im in "that generation" and yeah, its kind of pathetic. 

I'm sure social networks are making people stupid. For example there is a science page on Facebook which today published a pic of dead conjoined twin whales. In the blurb it stated that they were probably from a miscarriage and that it definitely wasn't caused by pollution or radiation, but despite this the comments is full of tripe about how bad the scientists were for killing them or blaming oil spills and fukashima

Cancer fields. Cancer fields, everywhere...

Today's rant:- It is a double today, weather and renting.

Basically after last nights heavy showers I have a leak in both my bedroom and kitchen. Both of them have occured around the window areas.

Now here is the issue, I have had the leasing agent changed to one that is in Edinburgh and they don't have a clue what is going on at all.

So I am not sure, do I simply threaten to not pay rent until it is resolved and move out for the time being while it is fixed or just give them a day and see what they say?

Either way it is a big waste of my time and a perfect example of the *suitcase* living choices I get in Aberdeen.

So glad I am moving by at the latest April-May now.

'FireKnife'

FK: Any idea where you're moving to yet?

Stunt: Can you remember where you got it from? A lot of the Chinese stuff at the minute is 3 or 5 mode. So far, Solarforce looks like the best option but I'm open to others.

Well I am not entirely sure. Wherever work takes me is the present answer. It is getting to the point that I would gladly take a pay cut rather than increase and by a sizeable amount just to get away from here. Hell I would even do a job that gets me by just to leave this place. Ideally Central Belt, near to the West coast of England just down / up from Liverpool - Manchester way, South West near Bristol or around but not in London. So basically anywhere with people and civilisation but not slap bang in the middle of a major city, having to deal with the bustling traffic etc.

I say give them a chance and see what they say but if you're still not happy I would then tell then you will be billing them for replacement of any of your property which gets water damage from them not fixing the leaks

Well I have moved everything away from the leak areas and the only items that could be considered 'water damaged' belong to the landlord so all is fine in that regard. However I will give them a chance, having not really dealt much with them it might be teething issues or it might be that they are heartless *suitcase*-s, haven't got to that point yet so wont 'throw toys out of the pram' etc.

'FireKnife'

Belgium. The country where the elderly people own 2 to 4 houses and my girl and myself can't get one. Imagine this: we both have jobs where we are garanteed to have work. I'm an elektrical technician, she has a masters degree in physiotherapy. I work for the national railway, shes self employed. We have saved whats possible and it turns ou we cant buy a house that doesnt need work. If we do buy a house in our budget with a banks loan we wont have any money left to fix the house. And im not the only one. Most of my generation suffers from this. Most renting. Whats the situation with you guys?

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Yeah its a similar situation. As a country we haven't built anywhere near the amount of houses we needed and unfortunately for many houses are seen as an investment first and a home second. Its really London and the South east aka LASER!!!! where the prices are really high but unfortunately for many that is where the jobs are. I'd like to move up north or to Wales as I'm not really a city guy but I gotta work so whatyagonnado. 

In this country if you can buy a house outrght then you are in the 1% (the same 1% that has all of our politicians).

We have mortgages, saving for a house, credit history and many, many other issues. Renting for some is just a lot easier while for others they want a house of their own which it will be after 30, 40, 50 or even 60 years hard graft.

The housing situation in this country is appaling to say the least but it is due to the way or country is run and how people have basically let it get that way so often we only have ourselves and the general society to blame.

If you live in a country where it is a little difficult to buy a whole house outright then you are in a hell of an easier situation than the UK where affording a house without a mortgage is for the priveliged few.

'FireKnife'

The newest trend in the london housing market is making the housing shortage even worse than it is , foreign cash buyers are buying houses / flats / new builds up as quick as they are being built . Due to our goverment not having the brains to ramp up vat duty enough on them . These houses are usually left empty as they are for foreign investment purposes not home use . . The few houses left over get snapped up by the buy to let landlords . If some one can actually get a bank to find a mortgage over here they have very little left over to buy , usually at ridiculous premiums ..

The newest trend in the london housing market is making the housing shortage even worse than it is , foreign cash buyers are buying houses / flats / new builds up as quick as they are being built . Due to our goverment not having the brains to ramp up vat duty enough on them . These houses are usually left empty as they are for foreign investment purposes not home use . . The few houses left over get snapped up by the buy to let landlords . If some one can actually get a bank to find a mortgage over here they have very little left over to buy , usually at ridiculous premiums ..

yup

I work in this field and its pretty ridiculous. Thing is that most of the developments (apparently) wouldn't happen without foreign investment. Cause these foreign investors tend to have way more cash it pushes the value up even more. I wouldn't be surprised if over half of London property market was for money laundering lol. 

For better or for worse London is a "global city" and people will pay a premium to come here. I'm as middle class as they come but I can't afford to live in tower hamlets ffs!!! I'm planning to get out in a couple of years - just need to find a significant other to come with me otherwise I will be all alone :(

If you live in a country where it is a little difficult to buy a whole house outright then you are in a hell of an easier situation than the UK where affording a house without a mortgage is for the priveliged few.

You're probably going to hate me, but:

- my parents managed to buy a house in the country. Sure, it's some godforsaken pisshole of a village in the middle of nowhere, with almost nonexistent mobile coverage and coal-powered heating, to say nothing of good-quality internet being unavailable because those asshats from telecom company are maliciously unwilling to go and extend the underground cable for another 100 feet. It set them back 80k quid, which in this sick sad Absurdistan, Middle Eastern Europe, is an awful lot. You could get a house of similar size in the middle of a town (with all that entails) in Florida for that.

- it's actually common over here to take a loan to the tune of 25k GBP or the equivalent thereof just to buy an apartment, as rental costs are stupidly high - for example, a small flat downtown will set you back 200-300 quid monthly. I believe those rates are high even for the UK, to say nothing of this sick sad Absurdistan, Middle Eastern Europe. Where we earn a fifth of the usual UK pay.

You're probably going to hate me, but:

- my parents managed to buy a house in the country. Sure, it's some godforsaken pisshole of a village in the middle of nowhere, with almost nonexistent mobile coverage and coal-powered heating, to say nothing of good-quality internet being unavailable because those asshats from telecom company are maliciously unwilling to go and extend the underground cable for another 100 feet. It set them back 80k quid, which in this sick sad Absurdistan, Middle Eastern Europe, is an awful lot. You could get a house of similar size in the middle of a town (with all that entails) in Florida for that.

- it's actually common over here to take a loan to the tune of 25k GBP or the equivalent thereof just to buy an apartment, as rental costs are stupidly high - for example, a small flat downtown will set you back 200-300 quid monthly. I believe those rates are high even for the UK, to say nothing of this sick sad Absurdistan, Middle Eastern Europe. Where we earn a fifth of the usual UK pay.

As a comparison, a small flat that features a single bedroom, basic bathroom, tiny kitchenette and average lounge is £475 (was up for £500) in this dump and that is one with a 30min walk to the centre of the city so by direct comparison £200-300 is not bad at all. However wage will be different of course but still that is a near enough 200% price increase. I doubt a fifth is correct, half to a third would sound a lot better depending on the role you are in.

But in the UK buying a house outright is just unheard of unless you are a millionaire. Even the highest earning managers at my work are on mortgages and they are easily at double or triple my pay.

Just the way it is though sadly, it needs changing but is unlikely.

'FireKnife'

FK, I never said we could buy a house outright. We just came from a bank to simulate a loan ( or... mortage is the word? ). We can loan €200k together, thats without taxes and additional costs.

A livable house costs about €270k. Thats a small house without any luxury.

I rent in the city of Ghent atm for €600 / month just for the appartment without any elektricity, gas, water Inet or anything.

It's seriously going downhill for the middle class in Western EU.

My son and his girlfriend rent a1 bed flat in nw9 . 1800 pounds per month before bills . . Where I live near Camden house prices are climbing at ridiculous rates, In Belsize park just up the road it is ridiculous , nearly 100 k a year rises on a lot of property' values . The poor are definetly being priced out of london . Where I am living at the moment in Kentish town property value has gone up by almost a third as yuppies move in . A one bed flat rental will cost you an minimum of 300+ pounds per week to rent here ..

Here's something to make you scratch your head. My wife earns just shy of 50k and when she inquired about a mortgage (today) they said a maximum of £165,000. Now the last time I worked, a full years salary, I earned just shy of £18,000 (funny how freelance meant I did way fewer hours but got the same money as when I was at BT doing 40 hours a week), that increased the mortgage maximum to £275,000. This is no joke, that is what we were told (if I was earning £18,000).

I don't know how they calculate that, but off the top of my head (maths); £18,000 meant I could borrow (maximum) £110,000.

Wow. And I thought banks had stopped giving mortgages which equate to 5x your salary (in this instance, way more).

Stunt: Can you remember where you got it from? A lot of the Chinese stuff at the minute is 3 or 5 mode. So far, Solarforce looks like the best option but I'm open to others.

ehobbyasia?

It's got a shot out lens, if you can be bothered to cut a piece of plastic to fit it you can have it for postage...

The house thing...

You can either afford one or not, if it is your absolute top priority then you will put everything else on hold to do it, if not, you won't.

I have a 2 bedroom terraced house with no garage or parking and a living room window literally 2 feet from a bus route.

I bought it with no kitchen, bathroom, central heating, electrical wiring, gas, electricity or carpets.  It was a repossession and it was 100k.

I put a 20k deposit on it (which both my wife and I worked our asses off to get) and now my mortgage is manageable.

If my wife wasn't ill and could work we'd be bloody wealthy.

If we could (and did) have kids we'd be below the poverty line.

Life is a huge gamble - forget trying to be like everyone else and be happy in yourself.

Archived