My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I came home from the con, which in itself literally took an hour, to find out that those schmucks building the underground line broke the fiber cable and my home internet is well and truly dead, at least until morning.

Which also means I can't play Overwatch nor GTA Online.

Tapped out with Tapatalk.

Thank god for that, shmook.

I got a letter on Friday from a debt collection agency...

On behalf of a utilities company I've never used, in reference to a place I lived in for 6 months, and moved out of nearly 5 years ago...

This is the reasoning for tomorrow.. they're coming To fit the masks and they won't fit them without full seal. I've made it clear it'll be a one time thing which defeats the object really but I don't mind really. ~£120 full face welding mask for the price of being clean shaven? Go on then!

Suspicious package found in centre of Cambridge.

Hopefully it's nothing. Unfortunately working in a large pub it never ceases to amaze me how many people leave their kit unattended, which makes it a security risk but I can't call in every unattended bag (and it's not that easy to find who it belongs to given out capacity is 1810 and we've hundreds of covers).

Just imagine when they cotton on to the chaos and disruption they could cause with a suspicious package campaign.  No risk, no need to kill anyone, no need to be flagged sourcing dodgy *suitcase* for a bomb.  Just leaving bags in key places.  Scope out CCTV, wear a disguise, drop a bag and wait for everything to grind to a halt.

Killing some of the "best and brightest" would be a bonus for scumbags though hah.

Laugh it off?

That's exactly what we're doing on our manager whatsapp, joking about how we need a refurb.

Not trying to be disrespectful to those who've lost their lives but I take solace in a dark sense of humour.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was a Cambridge uni student having a laugh as their exams are over tbh...

I take solace in a dark sense of humour.

The best way. A mate of mine was caught up in London this weekend. I was on duty, seeing the banter unfold on our whatsapp group and trying not to myself whilst dealing with jobs.

Sounds horrible to some, I'm guessing not many of you bastards on here, but it's a great coping mechanism. I've used it for a long time in mu life. My whole family have.

We also got a bomb threat on Saturday. Blasé maybe, twitch but I wouldn't worry too much. We sent 1 cop to the pub it was in, rucksack with wires reported. Some people are just *rickrolls*...

I saw an article recently that a building firm is demanding all its employees be clean shaven. So dust masks fit correctly and they don't get sued to hell in the future...

That I know of:

Southern Gas Networks

Skanska

Bam

Littlewoods

Murphy

And more that I can't remember.

Anyone at those places who needs RPE for work needs to be clean shaven.

Silica is going to be the next Asbestos.  Anyone who cuts or drills stone or uses cement is exposing themselves to a risk that is cumulative, insidious and deadly.

Young guys don't care about something that will slowly kill then 30 years from now otherwise nobody would smoke.

You watch.

Thousands of deaths.

Aye, I've had a friend lose everything below his waist (surgical amputation) due to a RPG hit in the Middle East, know the first thing he said to me after the fact?

"I'm half the man you knew." In front of his family and we just ourselves.

I think it is a defence mechanism, like how a lot of comedians seem to struggle with depression and the like, if you can't laugh you cry.

As said, I'm not particularly worried, just vigilant which is the right way to be in my opinion. I ain't afraid of no terrorist. Good incentive to brush up on my first aid skills though as I'm a little rusty.

It boggles my mind when I see people drilling stone or using a cut off saw and seeing all that *suitcase* in the air and just casually breathing it in.  IT'S GOING IN YOUR LUNGS MATE.

I have tinnitus from lack of ear pro on building sites when younger. An angle grinder cutting steel duct is amplified a hell of a lot at each open end of said duct. Multiply that by years of use because 'ear defenders are for old men' and you get a mess.

Even fairly recently, sites would endeavour to help folk, but folk always knew better...

It probably still goes on now.

It's H&S that is causing us to need full seal masks.

I also have Tinitus. I take hearing and eyes very seriously. Pretty much constantly wear eye pro at work and when using any air tool no matter what or for how long I have ear pro on. They laugh at me here but I'll be the one laughing in the future. My ears are already bad I don't want to make them worse. And I have perfect vision currently, don't want to risk that's

Archived