SA80 Picture Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice L85's there, apart from the railed foregrip, but each to their own

Just one question though, why on earth have you both used the rail adapter? An ACOG replica fits to the 19mm dovetail (20mm dovetail on the G&G) easily enough, without the need for one :blink:

Edited by sadigh
Just one question though, why on earth have you both used the rail adapter? An ACOG replica fits to the 19mm dovetail (20mm dovetail on the G&G) easily enough, without the need for one  :blink:

I don't think it would fit if I remembered correctly. I'll check into that again.

I also can't believe that no one likes the foregrip/rail combo. It may not look the best but it makes it a lot easier to wield.

Nice L85's there, apart from the railed foregrip, but each to their own

Just one question though, why on earth have you both used the rail adapter? An ACOG replica fits to the 19mm dovetail (20mm dovetail on the G&G) easily enough, without the need for one  :blink:

Thx on the first one ;)

and to the second one... My ACOG did not fit right on the dovetail... I could not tighten the screws far enough to fix it. Second of all... The ACOG tilted backwards because of the bolt that fits in the slots on a weaver rail. I measured a difference in heigt of 1.3 mm measured at the front and back of the mount. So I had to modify the dovetail to fit the STAR adapter, and all problems are solved!

So maybe it is brand related if it alows to fix propperly or not... Mine is a Walther.

Ah I see, fair enough mate. I've found that most optics mounts can be tightened up a fair bit, so they can fit on 19mm dovetail rails as well as RIS rails.

Some of the optics I treid were ACOG replicas, so I presume that from what you and I have found, some will fit fine, whilst others will need an adapter.

Nah you wont, ELCAN has been ditched from service pretty much as it looses its zero alot faster than the ACOG

and how come the canadian armed forces and the dutch army still have it in their service then ? and the dutch army didn't adopt the c7 and c7a1 (with elcan) not a long time ago . so it could be possible that it ain't such a bad scope :);)

The STAR l85 is an AEG.

In simple terms, AEG's use a motor to turn gears, which wind back a spring and piston assembly. When the piston is released, the spring decompresses, and in turn, compresses air in a cylinder which propels the bb.

AEG 'blowback' kits simply hook the charging handle to the piston on its compression cycle, so when the gun is fired, the charging handle moves at the same time as the piston, replicating how a real gun looks like when it fires.

I think you'll find they reinforce certain parts so that doesn't happen ;)

I've seen a video of a HK team who did that to their SA80s, it looked damned impressive. I'd love to get that kit when I eventually get my hands on an SA80. Might see if I can steal Jammy's....

and how come the canadian armed forces and the dutch army still have it in their service then ? and the dutch army didn't adopt the c7 and c7a1 (with elcan) not a long time ago . so it could be possible that it ain't such a bad scope  :)  ;)

Its not a bad scope, its just been proven that over time the ACOG holds its zero better than the ELCAN

Has anyone found an effective but not-tacky way to protect the Susat's lense from BB strikes. I just bought a Susat but it hasn't arrived yet. I'm trying to see what I could do to protect my "investment". It costs way tooo much to have it broken by a BB strike. Any ideas? Pics would also be sweet.

I got a Star one for $100. *Second hand though. It was btw that and an ACOG 4x. I wanted something with magnification. I figured I'd go the authenic route with the Susat. I'm concerned about all the negative hype about the poor eye relief and FOV. I'm more of a scope type than a red dot type. 4x may be a little much but I guess I'll see. As far as breaking the lense goes, have you personally experieced BB strikes to the lense w/o any damage. If so, what was the range.

the Star "Should" be constructed to withstand a hit from AEGs of a reasonable power as it was made for use with airsoft !

I personally have not shot one but at the same time I have never heard of any problems with breaking lenses.

Oh and the eye relief is bad but most people learn to adjust

Update to sadigh's good old Academy L85 -

DSC00528.jpg

Now its got a real-steel pistol grip too :D Was a right royal PITA to fit though

All it needs is a real-steel butt-pad, then all its green furniture will be real-steel parts (apart from the dust cover and hold open latch, they're still academy parts) :P

EDIT - spelling

Edited by sadigh

Cheers for the kind words and +1 mate :)

I've lost count how much I've spent on it, I *think* its around £350-£400 altogether, but thats not including the amount of hours I've spent on it. :P

I know it sounds like alot to spend, but I started working on it before the STAR L85 was released. When the STAR was in the shops, I couldn't justify its price tag, and didn't want to leave the project incomplete, so I vowed to finish it

It performs very well indeed, the vast majority of the parts on it have been replaced, and the only parts left on it made by academy are the gearbox shell, the butt-pad, the trigger linkage to the gearbox, dust cover, hold open latch and the cocking handle.

Shoots around 330fps with a .2 gram bb, has an adjustable hop-up fitted, tightbore, mauri EG560 hi torque motor, etc etc the list is almost endless :D

EDIT - spelling

Edited by sadigh