I just had to share this; its letter from a serving soldier:

Having to wear that garbage for a living, I must agree. PEO soldier has recieved so many negative e-mails they can't keep up.

During a leaders meeting we were told we had to "sell" the ACU to the juniors. If it had sellable qualities, I could understand, but my joes all know it's garbage and we all wear BDU's until the wear-out date.

I was asked an honest question the other day from a retired Ranger, "Why did the Army adopt a "high visibility" uniform, was it to cut down on fratricide?" I think that speaks volumes as to the ACU's effectiveness.

SF doesn't wear it because it doesn't work, as infantry, we don't have that choice. After the BDU wear-out date we're screwed.

After many valid complaints from soldiers, the leaderships' response is completely unacceptable. "It was a political deal, there's nothing we can do about it." or "Just close one eye and squint the other and it blends just fine." Yep, that's leadership looking out for the joes.

The ACU is the most pathetic piece of gear ever to be forced upon the American fighting man and is a laughable example of tactical.

As I heard elsewhere- "The ACU needs to be issued to inmates, in order to shame them to the right side of the law".

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[rant]I had this strange feeling that this thread was going to turn into an ACU bashing. There are some of us who like it and many more who hate it. But the purpose of this thread is not to justify it's effectiveness or voice one's hatred. It's a picture thread. Let's see the pics and not the arguments. There are many other threads where we can argue ad naseum about it's (in)effectiveness so take them there please.[/rant]

[rant]I had this strange feeling that this thread was going to turn into an ACU bashing.  There are some of us who like it and many more who hate it.  But the purpose of this thread is not to justify it's effectiveness or voice one's hatred.  It's a picture thread.  Let's see the pics and not the arguments.  There are many other threads where we can argue ad naseum about it's (in)effectiveness so take them there please.[/rant]

cool site, thanks :)

iv'e just had an op on my knee, when i'm fixed i'll have to post some pics, wearing my acu :D

Edited by dechande

Darklite. . . . I never said I liked using it. It doesn't work where I play. I was using it because I was just too lazy to get MARPAT. plus it cost me 25US for the whole set :)

ACU exists to cut costs. It takes two uniforms and puts them into one. so it's like 50/50. financially. HELL yeah. gov't loves it. saves em cash.

to the soldier on the ground who blends in HALF as well as he would in his old gear. it's like saying.

"You're not worth my money"

That's the paradox of the DoD.

Lots of cash.

Spend it. Waste it

Don Rumsfield had a HUGE number of Berets BURNED because they were made in china.

But to be fair. the ACU is comfortable. Probably because the shirt's so baggy you could still fit in it if you were pregnant

I notice a lot of guys wear green vests with their ACU's, is that something the military do? Just curious. I'm currently considering getting a vest, and I already have the ACU clothing. Whatever vest I buy will be 'cos I like it and it's practical, regardless of who uses what. At the moment I'm struggling though, as everywhere seems to only go up to Large (I'm XXL).

Pablo-

I'm not 100% on this but I actually think this is one area where Airsoft and Real Life collide. In airsoft most of us end up going with Green vests because then we can use them in multiple load outs and they look decent with them all (I wear OD with Tigerstripes, Marpat, Desert Marpat, ACU, Woodland, DCU and I plan to use it with Multicam). In real life, ACU gear is very difficult to come by right now (even for guys in the service) so many guys are stuck using their older green stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

my ACU get up, taken by me on my cheap a$$ webcam.

When i first got my ACU BDUs

Picture5.jpg

When i first got my ACU laod bearing Molle Body Armour

Picture9.jpg

My new US MICH2000 helmet with ACU cover

Picture13.jpg

ACU bandana

Picture14.jpg

ACU Boonies hat

Picture15.jpg

I will put up operational pics as soon as i get them

Grim

Edited by Grim

I like my space marine look. besides i already striped the groin guard off it lol. Gonna keep upper arms protected well while new tattoos heal and keep warm in our crappy UK winter weather lol. Come summer the whole thing is gonna get stripped down to bare minimium.

Grim (The space marine robot dude lol)

This is my loadout I usually wear because of its practicality and comfort. Dropped the 1st line because it was so cold and I had no "fuel" for my 226 so carrying it was usless. Eventually will turn this into a SEALS type loadout with an MK14 Mod 0. to replace my AK104 along with one of them new fangled IBH helmets.

1st line:

Suspenders (OD)

Blackwater MOLLE Belt (RG)

Blackwater gas mask pouch (RG)

DBT M60 pouch (RG)

10'(ish) 100mph Tape (OD)

10'(ish) paracord (OD)

P226

2nd line:

Eagle plate carrier (RG)

TT shoulder pads (OD)

DBT Patrol Pack (RG)

Eagle triple M4 panel (RG)

DBT M4 double x2 (RG)

Eagle GP pouch (RG)

Blackwater large radio pouch (RG)

Eagle Admin (RG)

DBT double 9mm pouches (RG)

DBT M4 single + 9mm

Clothing:

Propper ACU

Gaters (waterproof)

5.11 Boots (CB)

Oakley Si Gloves (Blk)

Patrol Cap

Shemag (Tan)

TotalWar2Front.jpg

TotalWar2Side.jpg

TotalWar2SideClose.jpg

The Bulle brand ACU knock-off isn't even close to the actual ACU pattern. If you want a good looking cover with the IFF tabs and the works, I suggest you look to ebay. They're not cheap, but at least you get a proper cover and not a cheap knock-off.

Sorry about the rant :)

My cover matches pretty well. Bit awkward attaching it to the helmet but besides that all my gear matches up perfectly fine. Besides with being in between jobs im not paying out money i dont have. But i will tell the rest of the team your opinion to see if they want to ebay it for them or not. (Radion should hes an eay ###### lol)

Grim