XM8

Dickens

It seems to me that many of you are missing the point with this gun. All the debating is about real steel and apperance.

I'll say now that I'm going to be buying one as soon as they come out.

It's not about realism, or looks, or even real performance. It's because the real gun was designed with an odd look for a reason.

The rounded shape means a weapon that's better to hold, to shoulder, and sling. It means no sharp edges to get hurt on in combat, and less protrusions to get caught on gear and the environment.

The green color means it'll be a gun that'll blend in better than a black gun can.

The ambi features, integrated scope, and modular design all speak for themselves.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Am I the only one to have noticed that it looks like a Star Trek Phaser rifle? Maye Gene Rodenberrey was on to something. ;)

Nope :D. There's really a little similarity between the XM8 and a Star Trek phaser rifle. It wouldn't be the first time that Trek leads the way ;).

BTW: I hate this XM8 Kit. It's inaccurate.

• 3 weeks later...

TwoFisted, Firstly how do you know how the XM-8 preforms? Have you fired one or have the ballistics data?

Secondly the XM-8 won't never go beyond the prototype stage, it is already past that, it is ready for adoption.

People forget one thing the army COMISSIONED the design of the XM-8 its not like HK made a new rifle and the army went OhhhEmmmmGeee Want.

i have to say the XM8 is an amazing rifle, i have seen video's of it shooting. it has great control and is a durable rifle. the HK guys at the shot show droped it on the ground then covered it up with sand and dirt, then they picked it up and fired a 100round cmag one handed. anyone who think the m4 is a better gun then the xm8 has there head stuck in a hole. yes i know change is difficult for some but the xm8 is the future and the future is now.

Can we please stay away from ballistic discussion? I believe there is one person on these boards that has had actual experience with the weapon and the rest of you are just passing on ideas and opinions. I honestly like it for simpler airsoft reasons: It's completely modular (and I hope it carries on to the airsoft version). I would love to have one receiver that could swap out different barrels/foregrips quickly with ambidextrous controls and integrated quick detach scope.

indeed. the number one selling reason for having an airsoft one has to be the modularity. now i know NOTHING about the real steel, other than what i just read here.

BUT. modularity in an airsoft gun will appeal to loads of people, whatever the gun looks like. yes you can say "well i can bolt this and this and that on to my 6 foot long RIS rail", but the XM8 is TRUELY modular.

imagine being able to easily swap out whole bodies. for different FPS etc. not unlike the current ICS idea, but just a bit easier and more advanced. and being able to go from support wepaon, to countersniper, to assault, to cqb, just by changing a few bits, that can be done in the safe area with no tools.

you would only have to buy ONE GUN to suit all your airsofting needs.

that would be impressive.

ok so it looks like it came out of HALO, but i think there is no doubt, the only gun in existence(airsoft and real) that has almost the same level of modularity is that ugly new american special forces thing (i think its the SCAR). it is made form about 42 different guns.

i just think modularity is a seller.big time.

i just think modularity is a seller.big time.

You hit the nail on the head. The US military is stuck on modularity right now. Look at the now mercifully dead arsenal ship project of the USN and the modularity aspects being pushed on the JSF. Unfortunately, modularity is just another buzzword. A few years ago, it was mobility. Small teams. Fast deployment. Now focus has shifted. How many armorers are really going to maintain a whole stock of bits? Would issuing a new mission-specific weapon really take more time than modding an existing gun?

Of course, in airsoft, as you said it could be quite useful. Of course that type of complication is more likely to add cost, potential failure points and complexity.

Back to the kit: I again fondled a built-up XM8 yesterday. Really plasticky. Not KSC Glock heavyweight kind of plastic, but Lego plastic. The molding is sharp, but the optics are a joke, except not funny to those who have laid out the $395 for the kit. Also, the kit says "XM8" in huge letters. Does anyone really plan on doing a US Army Tester impression? Because that's exactly what one would have to be to be lugging this thing around the field.

Anyone considering buying one of these kits should really handle one in the plastic.

You hit the nail on the head.  The US military is stuck on modularity right now.  Look at the now mercifully dead arsenal ship project of the USN and the modularity aspects being pushed on the JSF.  Unfortunately, modularity is just another buzzword.  A few years ago, it was mobility.  Small teams.  Fast deployment.  Now focus has shifted.  How many armorers are really going to maintain a whole stock of bits?  Would issuing a new mission-specific weapon really take more time than modding an existing gun? 

Of course, in airsoft, as you said it could be quite useful.  Of course that type of complication is more likely to add cost, potential failure points and complexity.

Back to the kit:  I again fondled a built-up XM8 yesterday.  Really plasticky.  Not KSC Glock heavyweight kind of plastic, but Lego plastic.  The molding is sharp, but the optics are a joke, except not funny to those who have laid out the $395 for the kit.  Also, the kit says "XM8" in huge letters.  Does anyone really plan on doing a US Army Tester impression? Because that's exactly what one would have to be to be lugging this thing around the field.

Anyone considering buying one of these kits should really handle one in the plastic.

Unfortunately, armorers with mission specific weapons have, I think, MORE full weapons on their hands rather than good sized bits and pieces of a system. I think the mantra still is today speed, agility, and flexibility. But each view has pros and cons.

On the XM8:

www.jetcityspecialties.com

It's a paintball XM8 but the handguard's a little more accurate and so is the mag (XM8 mag is a little straighter than the G36)

If one could get their hands on some high quality ABS plastic (like the one on my AUG) and do a re mold of the XM8 that would be really nice.

Now about the original reddot and 4x scope...man...that's going to be real hard to obtain, and adjusting the iron sights for it will be a pain in the *albatross*. Unless you're telling me you can fit a compact red-dot scope inside the scope shell.

Put on a mini camera somewhere on the body, put the battery inside the stock, and make an XM320 GL handguard - that would be awesome.

I really truely hope we adopt the XM8. Imagine using it as a marksman rifle one day and the next laying down supression fire with the same gun. Thats really cool. Now if we would only get rid of that ACU ###### and outfit soem multicam...

Some one will make a full M-8 soon.

HMM...

MARUI KONSPIRACY THEORY WIF H&K!!! THEY AR HIDING THINGS FROM US IN THEIR UNDERGROUND VOLCANO LAIR!!! OMG OMG

Either that or Star Airsoft is going to beat Marui.

IRT all the XM8 = Star Trek Phaser Rifle/fish people

No, see the idea is that the terrorists see the Army guy with the M-8 and the terrorist goes OMG WTF WHAT A FRUIT OMG OMG OLOLOLOLO and they start laughing which gives away their position for the guy with the M-8 to own him.

Mobility is always a buzzword, but there are certain concepts that take hold and get the majority of the attention and fitted to every project. Speed and flexibility are always desired, but that doesn't mean they drive current military doctrine. Right now, many people are looking at mission-specific solutions, discovering that flexible-use items are not always the best choice.

Enough on that, though.

I hate to say it, but the first movie or show featuring cool guys slinging M8's will have most people here salivating. Exposure to them in action will make them more real and give them the appearance of lethality they lack in their current relatively static state.

Archived