1. 1. Ban guns?

• I say we keep guns, I collect them
    • I say we keep guns, I want/have them for protection
    • I want to ban all the guns
    • Ban guns? Already banned where I live

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My dad when I got my first gun sat me down showed me how to work it, clean it and fire it. He taught me the rules of owning a gun. I dont seem to recall that happening when we had our first beer together.

"Now son dont drink TOO much and never double fist or mix you alcohols"

That never happened and that is my point with guns parents understand that they are lethal and give their kids advice and warnings accordingly.

Alcohol kills more people per year in America than guns do. But nobody talks to their kids at 14 about the dangers of alcohol. Maybe they should but they dont.

That is why at 14 you can have a gun and you need to be 21 to drink. Drunk kids do drunk things, most kids that own a gun respect it and handle it properly.

WOW this thread spun out of control fast!

That makes sense. :)

I've been drinking with my parents for quite some time, it's not so much of a "voodoo" thing once you're taught about it, so I don't feel the need to go buy cheap cider and act like a prat on street corners.

I'd quite like to know if any UK members are worried about the possibility of a military coup verses say, being shot by a legally owned firearm (if the law was changed to allow widespread gun ownership). If someone feels they do need to defend against a military coup, what level of firepower should we be restricted too, if at all?

I for one am prepared to risk a military coup for a course of action that I hope will keep the streets relatively safe. Mind you I am insanely optimistic at the moment as I've just come back from a great skirmish :)

I'd quite like to know if any UK members are worried about the possibility of a military coup verses say, being shot by a legally owned firearm (if the law was changed to allow widespread gun ownership).

I for one am prepared to risk a military coup for a course of action that I hope will keep the streets relatively safe.

The nazis also said they would make the streets safe. As did quite a few other dictatorships during the 20th century. The amount of gun accidents and homicides doesn't even begin to compete with the amount of killing by governments.

I don't know if it's a UK thing or what, but it seems that the people who are most afraid of guns are people who don't actually own them or live in a society where they are widespread. In other words, your fear of getting shot with ("with", not "by") a legally owned firearm is based on prejudice instead of facts. Just like homophobics usually don't know any gay people. People who do are free of their ignorance and prejudice.

-Sale

You forget that the Nazis did make the streets safe.

Of course, the price was that the criminals went from be chased by the cops to becoming the cops.

In any case, banning guns because of some idiots with guns is like banning airsoft because of the chavs. I don't know why it is that more Britons don't grasp this, particularly given the near miss that the VCRB landed. Let's face it, a firearm, like an airsoft gun, is perfectly safe and can be operated with nigh complete safety, so long as the proper rituals are followed. If those rituals are not observed, unsafe operation occurs, and death or injury may occur. This is true with both airsoft guns and real firearms.

The nazis also said they would make the streets safe. As did quite a few other dictatorships during the 20th century. The amount of gun accidents and homicides doesn't even begin to compete with the amount of killing by governments.

I don't know if it's a UK thing or what, but it seems that the people who are most afraid of guns are people who don't actually own them or live in a society where they are widespread. In other words, your fear of getting shot with ("with", not "by") a legally owned firearm is based on prejudice instead of facts. Just like homophobics usually don't know any gay people. People who do are free of their ignorance and prejudice.

-Sale

It's not limited to the UK, I've met some cool Brits that seem to be ok with firearms. I think it's because people aren't around them like Americans or the Swiss and the media generalizes and overexaggerates on the problem. That kind of thing is rare around here and most areas in the US I been to, out of the 250-300 million some people in the US your chances of getting shot by a gun is not very common. It's like the suicide bombings in Israel, the media makes Israel look like some ghetto being bombed every day when in reality most of the citys are like any other city in the US or Europe and it makes up for a lack of crime therefore if suicide bombing didn't exist I'm sure some other problem would exist. Guns have their purpose and that "damn peice of paper" that so many people think is obsolete is the proof Americans have the right to be armed no questions asked. Of course I still haven't been able to purchase my nuke yet :(

Well, I think that society in general is not ready or responsible enough to be given widespread access to guns. Look at the UK attitude to alcohol. Lets go binge drinking and then play with our toys! We live on a small overcrowded island with many pent up frustrations, we need to recognise our own limtations and the dangers of it.

I don't care for real guns, doesn't affect me much, but I'd just like to reinforce what Pablo said earlier - just because we love our airsoft doesn't mean we don't have the self-preservation instincts and respect for real guns that means we can happily avoid them.

How many people died from gunshots wounds in the UK last year?

How many died in the US?

The nazis also said they would make the streets safe. As did quite a few other dictatorships during the 20th century.

Gggggggggg-odwin. Seriously, I'd never heard of it until a week ago. It really is the retort of a rogue.

The only reason I'd like a gun is to be able to shoot Sale if he ever visited the UK. Then I'd probably hand it in to the police.

In any case, banning guns because of some idiots with guns is like banning airsoft because of the chavs. I don't know why it is that more Britons don't grasp this, particularly given the near miss that the VCRB landed

I actually hope that this will be good thing. If some reasonable regulation of airsoft becomes law, we will be able to distance ourselves from the chavs. The cult of the individual, with no social responsibility is leading to breakdown which makes some people feeling they need guns.

Oh God!!! I've changed my mind. We need guns in the UK! I need to shoot myself, I think I've just turned into limp-wristed liberal!!!!!! I was singing Doris Day song to myself during the last skirmish and that can't be good thing.

Good thing the UK has woken up to take on the US in this thread, I'll just go off and pistolwhip some sense back into myself with a M190

I wouldn't say i was "brought up with guns" but i was definetly shooting at a young age. At about 7 years old, i fired an i learnt to use an air rifle and did so as often as possible. At age 13 i was running around army training areas with a 5.56mm assault rifle, going on the range with live ammo and by age 16, i was teaching firearms safety to other groups of teenagers in cadets. I'm now in an air rifle team that shoots in the local premier devision (no thanks to me...)

But all this time, my parents have been very anti-gun. It was only last year when i was allowed my first airsoft gun. I have an air rifle provided i only fire it on the range, with the others. I may be applying for a section 1 in the next year, provided that it can be kept in an armoury, rather than my parents house.

So what am i getting at? I guess the UK way of handling firearms brings more respect than the US way. Don't flame... everyone has opinions :P

If i'd been out hunting deer or something from a young age, part of me thinks i would have had an accident by now. (familiarity, contempt etc) Likewise, if i'd done the American thing and waited untill 18, then gone out and bought a handgun for protection, again, i don't think i'd have been clued up enough to use it safely.

In the UK, it seems that you're either gradualy introduced to them, or you never use them. Whereas i get the impression that Americans are sort of thrown in at the deep end. I mean hell, it took about 6 months of lessons and dry training before i even fired a blank round.

And all this banning guns lark? I think that users should be vetted and then put through safety courses - like a shooter's MOT as it were. But i can't see th need to ban firearms. When was the last time a crime was comitted with a 7.62mm fullbore target rifle? Or a competition air rifle?

I feel that airsofters are a little more lax than most with gun safety as well - it's part of the culture. In real life i'd never point a gun at some one. In airsoft, it's part of the game, to take out the other team. Hell, our unload drill is "remove mag, fire into the ground a bit."

I've not really made any points have i? Oh well.

So what am i getting at? I guess the UK way of handling firearms brings more respect than the US way. Don't flame... everyone has opinions :P

Depends on who taught you really. The US is too big to pigeon hole in comparison to the UK anyway.

If i'd been out hunting deer or something from a young age, part of me thinks i would have had an accident by now. (familiarity, contempt etc) Likewise, if i'd done the American thing and waited untill 18, then gone out and bought a handgun for protection, again, i don't think i'd have been clued up enough to use it safely.

Again down to training. Some of the biggest prats I've seen treated guns like they expected to have to due to no practical experience beyond watching Die Hard.

And all this banning guns lark? I think that users should be vetted and then put through safety courses - like a shooter's MOT as it were. But i can't see th need to ban firearms. When was the last time a crime was comitted with a 7.62mm fullbore target rifle? Or a competition air rifle?

Agreed, add on handguns etc. the sad truth is very little crime was commited with legally held gun beyond two very, very sad incidents.

I feel that airsofters are a little more lax than most with gun safety as well - it's part of the culture. In real life i'd never point a gun at some one. In airsoft, it's part of the game, to take out the other team. Hell, our unload drill is "remove mag, fire into the ground a bit."

Airsofters idea of gun safety is abysmal, fingers on triggers, pointing at people they don't mean too etc. etc. etc. Lets just say my shooting glasses stay on in the safe zone. :)

I don't care for real guns, doesn't affect me much, but I'd just like to reinforce what Pablo said earlier - just because we love our airsoft doesn't mean we don't have the self-preservation instincts and respect for real guns that means we can happily avoid them.

How many people died from gunshots wounds in the UK last year?

How many died in the US?

How many people died due to a knife in the UK compared to the US. Point is if Im gonna kill your azz a gun is nice but a knife or lead pipe will do.

I'd quite like to know if any UK members are worried about the possibility of a military coup verses say, being shot by a legally owned firearm (if the law was changed to allow widespread gun ownership). If someone feels they do need to defend against a military coup, what level of firepower should we be restricted too, if at all?

I for one am prepared to risk a military coup for a course of action that I hope will keep the streets relatively safe. Mind you I am insanely optimistic at the moment as I've just come back from a great skirmish  :)

The first banning of the public owning firearm's was by king george because he feared a revolution by the public not the military, a ban on publicly held firearm's would not affect a Miltary coup :D

The day guns are banned is the day Texas once again becomes an independent country.

Hmm, I'll leave for Texas if that happens too, or else Ohio will need to cede from the Union and become its own gun-toting nation, but Texas does sound good. Lots of space, plenty of people who love W., decent weather, and freedom to own guns.

Your forgetting that banning guns has done nothing but give the criminals an easier time robbing the innocent law abiding citizens when their unarmed. Gun control is a crock and it's the steps for the politicans to get their way. Look at Chicago, New York, LA. Strict gun laws yet tons of crime, the south is armed to the teeth in America and the gun crime is little. Perhaps because everyone is armed, no one is going to risk killing themselves to rob some old ladys purse?

s_doors.jpg

wow, great point.

the only flaw would be that maybe gun laws are stricter because it was so violent before and this is an improvement.

wow, great point.

the only flaw would be that maybe gun laws are stricter because it was so violent before and this is an improvement.

You can destroy tools, but you can't destroy ideas.

If someone was intent on murdering someone they will find a way. It's just like your house, an alarm makes you safe and probably prevents somewhat against those who want to steel from your home, but does it really make you safe or does it give you a sensation, some security that you feel safe? The human factor is the weakest security. Don't punish the guns and the people responsible with them, punish the criminals, afterall most criminals don't care about consequences right? Whats the point of passing laws to restrict/ban guns if criminals get them illegally anyways? It's just making us an easier target to the criminals especially in a diverse country filled with landscapes ranging in citys to rural areas with every culture, race, and religion you can think of.

Archived