UK Loadout guide.

Gadge

sounds like the MoD are doing their usual trick of purposefully damaging the new issue kit that has been released to auction.

like you said a ripped rank tab is f**k all to repair. mid 90's as a cadet i remember visiting my local army surplus shop and him having spanking new early 80's issue windproofs just released from war storage. only problem was some bright spark had taken a stanley knife and put a foot long slash up the back of it. :waggle:

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nevertheless, some members of the public have got their hands on them. Reading around, there has been at least one European store selling them in the past, but their site is now offline. I still want to know where the guy at TA5 got his.

Well if you work out where was selling them, let me know

sounds like the MoD are doing their usual trick of purposefully damaging the new issue kit that has been released to auction.

I doubt it, osprey covers are notoriously weak and tear to pieces very easily. Before i left Iraq there were literally hundreds of spares laying around our camp as the new unit brought far too many with them (through fear of lots of tearing). I was gutted that i didnt have a spare bergan cos i would have taken 30 or so home with me to sell!

Darkchild

It isn't exactly UK loadout thing, but it's definitely related.

Anyone know a case or bag (cases preferred) that'd fit an LSW? That STAR case is too short for the LSW, and most others I have seen lately couldn't quite accommodate it either.

http://www.rifle-cases.co.uk have some (quite expensive) bags that will accommodate large rifles up to 50" (127cm) in length. If I recall, the LSW is 92cm long, so you shouldn't have too much trouble.

• 3 weeks later...

Your cba is cba, the other one pictured above is actually Ecba, a pathetic upgrade brought in later to allow plates to be fitted. to answer your other question, the plates are tiny and fit into the single pocket on the front, with an identical one on back.

Darkchild

is there different varients to the cba because mine doesnt have a rank slide and has an extra smaller pocket on the opposite side as pictured? and also where do you put the plates in the front of the cba? thanks in advance

Darkchild has pretty much answered the question on it. Just so you know, it cost £3.50 from the local surplus store and is filled with camping mat. The front and rear plate pockets are filled with a sheet of cardboard and some more camping mat.

Darkchild has pretty much answered the question on it. Just so you know, it cost £3.50 from the local surplus store and is filled with camping mat. The front and rear plate pockets are filled with a sheet of cardboard and some more camping mat.

yeah ive fiilled the back pouch via the velcro flap but how do you access the front to fill the front plate pockets thanks again

yeah ive fiilled the back pouch via the velcro flap but how do you access the front to fill the front plate pockets thanks again

Mine just has a little bit of velcro that opens up at the front and lets me slide the plates in. The 'kevlar' roll mat is hard to get in though.

yeh i believe we've sold some L85's to Jordan, and possibly Brunei, but one of the regulars on the forum might be able to help you better than that..

I've only ever heard of them making their way to Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Jamaica, and Papua New Guinea.

As an aside, earlier in the thread there was a mention of LSWs with iron sights rather than SUSATs:

I could be wrong but i think i've seen them with iron sights in jungle operations where the susat might mist up and your contact range is highly unlikely to be over a hundred meters.

Having neither trained for or served in the jungle thats just something i think i may have seen.

I've spoken with a few of the more experienced chaps and done some looking online, Gadge is right again!

• 4 weeks later...

Must admit, I'm not at all happy with that photo either; I've taken the liberty of blowing it up by x2, and gamma correcting it to severely lighten it so as to show more detail.

• Rear TMH Pin external strengthening angle bracket is the wrong colour: these are sprayed along with the rest of the Barrel Group housing at the time of assembly, and braised/welded to said housing so as not to come off.
  • Cocking handle is the wrong shape for all models of L85, L85A1, or L85A2. Cocking handle does, in fact, resemble the L&S softair (not airsoft) shuttlecock-like projectile firing plastic replica from the early 1990s.
  • The bolt is the wrong colour. On the real thing, it ranges from a light 'gunmetal' kind of colour to bright aluminium. Another indication that this 'rifle' is a fake.
  • Sling is incorrect. That's not an SA-80 sling, it doesn't even appear to be milspec thickness, come to that.
  • The rear of the SUSAT is shiny. The real thing is matt at the rear, as it's rubberised. Another indication that this 'rifle' is a fake - the SUSAT replica on the L&S model was made completely of plastic.
  • Top Cover of front furniture is a different colour to the furniture. Not unheard of, but very very unusual.
  • No aluminium heat shield can be seen through the vents on the front furniture. Another indication that this 'rifle' is a fake.
  • No apparent wearing of the muzzle, the blackening of which on the real thing tends to become somewhat worn off. Another indication that this 'rifle' is a fake.

All in all, I submit this evidence to point to the fact that this photo is either heavily photoshopped, or an out-and-out fake.

Roger Stenning,

formerly

24910712 Cpl Stenning, RMP(v)

253 Pro Coy RMP(v)

(and for a couple of years the company Armoury Storesman)

post-834-1202676379_thumb.jpg

Looking at the satirical nature of that pic I think its highly likely to be a posed fake pic to make a political statement.

And that took all of two seconds and no high res analysis to suss out :)

My money is on an academy or other cheap springer.

As it says "uninvolved in Africa" in it, it's been done to make a point. A pretty poor one too.

Archived