Do we HAVE to dress up..?

TaQ

Okay, as y'all know I haven't skirmished yet. But yeah I own ALOT of guns (is it safe to say more than the average skirmisher?)

But I didn't get into Airsoft for the dress up part. I don't want to be a wannabe, I don't want to be a member of the SAS, or the US NavySeals blah blah.. but if I walked into a game in my normal clothes, would I get dissed the hell outta me?

I doubt anyone feels the way I do. I got into airsoft for the guns, and I hate wearing anything camoflage, but if I wore all black in woodland, again, I'll get dissed the hell outta me.

Please, before you start flaming, I haven't been to a game YET. What would I be expecting if I just wore a SDU vest and my normal clothes?

Also, are there any hardcore skirmishers who aren't interested in the dress-up part of airsoft? ...No? Hmmm not really suprised.. meh.

Edit: Nasty title typo..

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see what you mean TaQ, but bear this in mind:

In airsoft, people run around in teams, shooting at eachother with replica firearms. Is it so odd that some of those people should want to dress up like a soldier whilst they're doing this?

You obviously don't give a damn what other people's opinion of you is though, so why stress now; if you want to wear jeans and a t-shirt instead of fatigues, then go for it :) I'm one of two people in my group who takes the gear side even slightly seriously (and not very at that). One of my friends dresses all in black, and we appreciate that it's his 'look'. He's mainly in it for the gun as well.

If you want to play airsoft in woodland then you´d simply be better of with clothing that is suitable for the enviroment. You don´t need to get all the ultra-tactical b.s. sold out there but you should´nt enter a game with jogging suit etc. on you either... Find a clothing that suits both you and the place where you play.

I wear DPMs, because it assists in not getting shot at. They also have lots of useful pockets for smokes, bbs, gas, keys, glasses, chocolate bars, mags etc.

Would you want to get mud all over your pretty threads?

edit: I've just had an insane idea, involving turning up as a hire, bwhahahahaha

Just tell them you're CIA or MI5 or something. Bond, Taq Bond, 007, licence to welt.

:)

I really wouldn't think any less of a guy who showed up in blue jeans and a golf shirt.

The guys I play with have a huge variety to their get-ups.

EDIT: Some of the guys mock me for my getup. I have a MOD II replica body armor, with a few mag poushes, etc. and a camelbak water bladder. "jeez Led, got enough gear?" And really, it isn't any more than most of them carry, but the presentation looks more bulky. :)

Do whatever floats your boat.

Don't forget, though, that airsoft is a TEAM sport and if people don't know you then the only way they can judge you is by the way you look.

If you show up at a skirmish wearing Jeans, trainers and a leather jacket it's very likely that people will be dubious about you.

TBH, to reply in a manner which is more typical of you, get over yourself, get yourself some cammo gear and get with the programme.

Failing that, carry on playing with your guns in your bedroom.

Just go weekend army officer. Tanktop and camo pants. I plan on picking up a pair of black army boots and the aforementioned articles of clothing ((Though yes, a tanktop is DEFINATELY a bad idea...)).

If me and my friends play it doesn't matter, to us the point is that it's not real.

If you have never been to a skirmish then why are you worrying? If you want to go then just get some DPM's They are cheap and hard wearing. What were you intending to wear? A nice little Lycra number in vivid pink from Vivian Westwood or perhaps a Versace evening dress with matching holster and high heels :D

If you do ever go then I feel really sorry for the guy dressed as a coke can :D:D:D as his days will be numbered.

look in airsoft scotlands offers, a pair or trousers jacket and shirt for £15, do that, you wont be a wannabe its just basic dpm, and it saves ruining any proper clothes on the day :)

But i do see what you mean, i just wear plain dpm and a vest thats useful, I'm not pretending to be anyone or any specific army, I just want the kit in need, close to hand, to make the game better, no wannabe here ;)

Well its really up to you. I personally love the whole soldier look thingy, so Im always getting new stuff for me to wear, but I also have people in my team wearing normal black clothes. The only point where I laugh at people is when they wear camo clothing paired with white sneakers :P

If youre in a CQB game you can surely wear anything you want to as long as its not bright orange or something...remember there will most likely also me teamembers around you and I wouldnt be happy if I had to play with someone looking like a traffic cone. I already had the thought of dressing like some hiphop gangstah and running around with some dual *bling* chrome berettas for the fun of it, heh...its all up to you.

Just take a look at this team in france (well yes I know..france) http://nebairsoft.free.fr/team/gallerie.ph...&photos_page=18 I have to say I really like their style, its pretty different from all the other teams I know and it looks damn good!

For woodland Id say the same, just dont look flashy and you'll be fine. And please dont let any people who think you got to look like a damn 75th Ranger to play AS prevent you from taking part in a game, its really not like that. Oh and you might want to consider wearing some good boots though, its better for your health ;).

Play civil or play camo but dont mix 'em up :P

When wearing black u are hardly noticed any more than some one in camo during woodland (unless they're in a ghillie suit) at least thats what happens to me (as i had some one walk right up to me and not notice until i popped out of cover about 6 feet from him). but u could argue your case by saying your 'undercover'. I dont think it really matters though, jus personal prefrence.

I've not been to a skirmish yet but I'd say it's more about avoiding getting shot than "fitting in". Bright clothes would attract attention more readily than plain dark or DPM clothes. That and the added protection some of the kit gives you.

Hell, I've got a mate who fully intends to go to his first skirmish with his usual gear on - black leather trenchcoat, leather greaves, New Rocks. I dunno how practical it'll be but I'm not about to diss him just for his choice of kit - it's up to him.

--

LonerSG1

you've pretty much answered your question the moment you asked it...

If you're worried about people dissing you for what you look like then... I really can't help you. But you can always hide...

I'm considering playing AG05 with my normal clothes... being t-shirt, trakkies and boots.

It's going to get flipping hot and I'm not going to bother with those hessian ponchos or Ghillie Suits or what have you.

Plus... when you got kids like Lionel running around getting shot and Rhino taking the place apart and his mate Triggerthetart setting a smoke off on himself...

You will not be the most noticable DuDe in Spectre

EDIT: plus we're playing the bigger woodland areas this year. The sun is going to be out for hours. The woods will not provide you much cover in the hilly Welsh area, so what I'm saying is: don't bother with camouflage whe nyou turn up for AG05.

Also, are there any hardcore skirmishers who aren't interested in the dress-up part of airsoft? ...No? Hmmm not really suprised.. meh.

(Raising slowly my hand when nobody´s watching...)

Funny part is, that when I play paintball, I nearly always wear something camo. But when I play airsoft, never. There are more than one reasons for that, but let´s just stick it in one and state that it´s just "not my thing".

...But, before the rocks start flying, I´d better emphasize that I always play with my own team. No exceptions. There are also more than one reasons for that too, but let´s stick it in one and state that trust is something to be earned.

I know, I know: since my knowledge of British airsoft game culture relys only on what I read in these forums, this message has little informational value. But I´m trying to make a point that there are other "freaks" out there too. Being more like 70% of collector & gun enthusiast, and only 30% of skirmisher, I have definitely more interest on guns than military gear.

TaQ, good buddy, ole' pal! I always knew you were a man after my own heart (except in the rapage of guns dept, anyway...)

I, too, share a similar dilemma- OK, I like getting dressed up to look all mercenary, and that occasionally involves donning british DPM, but honestly, I got into airsoft cos of the guns, and because of John Woo action films. I'm not too interested in the military, I hate the over-the-top gung-ho aspect of a sizeable minority of certain 'softers (the sort of people who actually believe, and I mean ACTUALLY BELIEVE, that wearing a badge of rank that you didn't actually earn in her maj's armed bloody services on a pretend uniform while you run around with a pretend gun, playing a frikkin' GAME, is somehow an insult to the brave men and women who actually bother to join the army and get paid for it- jesus, get over yourselves. Do you think the sort of guys who're tough enough to be in the SAS are actually going to get upset because some 14 yr old kid at a GAME turns up declaring themselves to be Fieldmarshall bloody Montgomery?! No, They might laugh. They might point, they might congratulate the kid for his attention to detail, but they aren't going to lose any damn sleep over it!!!!!!!! godammit!!!!)

*pauses for breath*

where was I? oh yes-

Balls to uniform, pal, wear jeans and a t shirt, or whatever suits your mood. Only thing I recommend is a good pair of boots, but these don't have to be army issue either- got me a fantastic pair of safety's that are easily the most comfortable and sturdy thing I've ever owned which I'll be putting into service at my next skirmish.

other than that, do what the hell you like- so long as you have enough belt pouches for your various mags and batteries, I fail to see a problem- yes, you don't get much camoflage with your average pair of jeans, but so what? At the average skirmish are a whole range of people, the vast majority of them un-army-trained, and therefore no more likely to spot a muddy pair of jeans behind a bush as they are a pair of oldier '95 dpms.

I've decided to say balls to the uniform side of things myself- gonna save that for re-enactment, but for airsoft, I'm turning up in a cheap three piece suit, a bunch of pistols and an mp5.

Airsoft is, for me at least, a game based aound the notions of living out whatever manly fantasies you have in your head without actually killing anyone. It does not matter wat those manly fantasies are, whether you want to be the Sweeney, Urban fighter, cowboy, or delta. Doing your own thing is the key.

Live that dream, TaQ-man, fly, fly and be freeeeeeeee!!!!!!

um... went off on one there, sorry, but this subject has been a pet peave of mine ever since I got into airsoft. I'm glad to see at least a few others feel the same. :)

Personally I go for the gear, I only own a couple guns as a trade-off though ;)

Why ruin a $40 pair of jeans when a set of DPM costs around 20 quid?

That said, why worry about what people think of you? I think I might have to do an Iraqi jihadist setup with my AK...

Just buy a pair of camo trousers, wear a dark colored shirt and go as a freedom fighter ;)

Archived