Md0ggyd0g

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the movie is in myth form, what you see in the movie is how the spartans described it. For example, remember the part where they fought the elephants? See how BIG they were making it look almost unrealistic? Thats because the spartans never saw anything so big and powerful so they described the elephant as a humongous beast.

Well, the movie is in myth form, what you see in the movie is how the spartans described it. For example, remember the part where they fought the elephants? See how BIG they were making it look almost unrealistic? Thats because the spartans never saw anything so big and powerful so they described the elephant as a humongous beast.

And in the myth, Leonidas said what I said he did and the Oracle said what I said she did. The movie is not the myth. The movie is the myth watered down to suit modern sensabilities.

The event depicted really happened - 300 Spartans under Leonidas (along with 700 Thespian volunteers) did fight to the last man against Xerxes's Persian army of a million men. They did sacrifice themselves to cover the Greek retreat. They were indeed betrayed by a Greek traitor.

The movie (and the graphic novel) takes liberty with the art of representation. The Spartans didn't go into battle essentially naked - they were armored hoplites (heavy infantry). The Persian Immortals didn't dress the way they do in the movie, and they certainly didn't have a gigantic "mascot" that looks like an overgrown orc from Lord of the Rings. Xerxes wasn't bald and few Persians looked like Africans. The movie exaggerates to create a distinct style - it's not meant to be realistic.

And those people who accuse the movie of racism are just silly in my opinion. The movie is there to entertain people, not to turn them against each other. Iranians aren't a bunch of monsters as seen in the movie. They are just regular people like you and me. We all bleed red. It's funny how anything and everything can be turned into a political statement these days.

No...it wasn't.  At best, you can say Frank Miller was inspired by the movie to create 300.  However, he based the novel off of the actual historic events that took place and gave it his own unique artistic representation.

Uhm, no..Frank Miller made his five series comic books from the movie "The 300 Spartans". This event actually did happen, it was called the Battle of Thermopylae. There really were 300 spartans and 700 Thespian volunteers as Naked said. but instead of one million persians, it was approx. 2.5 million.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae

And I read the graphic novel, it is based off the 300 spartans

Holy *beep*... 2.5 million Persians?

But how many of those were actually combat personnel? An army that big can't be all soldiers. It must had a lot of noncombatants who handled all the menial jobs and supported the actual soldiers. And Thermopylae was a narrow pass, wasn't it? That meant that the Persians couldn't fight with their full numerical advantage. The Greeks held a critical bottleneck and they were indeed locally superior. You saw how the phalanx formation fought in the movie - the light Persian infantrymen were no match for the Spartans' tight formation and iron discipline.

Size of the Persian Empire army

Fleet crew 517,610

Infantry 1,700,000[49]

Cavalry 80,000[50]

Arabs and Libyans 20,000[51]

Greek troops allied with Persians 324,000

Total 2,641,610

Size of the Greek army

Spartans 300

Mantineans 500

Tegeans 500

Arcadian Orchomenos 120

Other Arcadians 1,000

Corinthians 400

Phlians 200

Mycenaeans 80

Thespians 700

Thebans 400

Phocians 1,000

Opuntian Locrians 13

Total 5,200+

You are right about thermopylae, bottlenecking the persians was a very good plan. if it wasnt for the hunchback traitor, im sure the army could have held them back.

I know there are 5200+ greek forces, but the real story is after they find out that the spartan hunchback showed the persians a path to them, everyone retreated except for the 300 spartans, and the 700 thespian volunteers.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...s%2C_480_BC.gif

The Spartans and Thespians were also accompanied by a light group of Thebans held against their will. They surrendered to the Persians at the first opportunity.

One thing the film failed to show is that the Persians fought with honor. Xerxes could have easily overwhelmed the Greeks by sending in his troops in massive waves. He did not do that. Instead, he stuck to the conventions of war and fought distinct engagements with lulls in between. After the Greeks had fallen, Xerxes had Leonidas's head severed and body crucified. However, he later felt remorse for his enemy and eventually Leonidas's body was returned to Sparta. The Persians were civilized people, and they certainly didn't fight like a mutant mob as they did in the movie. Just to be fair.

The Spartans and Thespians were also accompanied by a light group of Thebans held against their will. They surrendered to the Persians at the first opportunity.

One thing the film failed to show is that the Persians fought with honor. Xerxes could have easily overwhelmed the Greeks by sending in his troops in massive waves. He did not do that. Instead, he stuck to the conventions of war and fought distinct engagements with lulls in between. After the Greeks had fallen, Xerxes had Leonidas's head severed and body crucified. However, he later felt remorse for his enemy and eventually Leonidas's body was returned to Sparta. The Persians were civilized people, and they certainly didn't fight like a mutant mob as they did in the movie. Just to be fair.

Ya, true Persians did fight with honor and respect their defeated enemies. They would treat the defeated with great respect, but Xerxes was so angry because so many of his soldiers got pwned, and ya, what you said, cut off king leonidas's head and crucify him.

Lol, leonidas's body was returned to Sparta 40 years after the war though

EDIT*

didnt want to make a whole new thread, but check this out:

http://film.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,2033630,00.html

Doubt that. Couldn't fit all his troops in that pass. Noir did he probably think it would take that many of them.

Leonidas's corpse handling only further backs the point they didn't have to great of honor.

And showering them with arrows at the end of the battle. Over kill. Again no honor.

Leonidas's corpse handling was because how only a handful of spartans can take out so many persians. Xerxes was known to be a ill-tempered ruler and he got really angry because he got pwned so hard by only a handful of spartans.

Xerxes knew that if he sent any more forces down in CQC then obviously the spartans would pwn them, so xerxes had them at a distance with arrows. their not going to try and kill them in honor anyways

In my newspaper it said the persians were around 260,000 or something like that at Thermopoleaoyeah, and there were 300 sparts + 700 thespians.

Anyone else think of the words big, gay, giant, or girlyman when they saw xerxes for the first time? What's with the mascara and the hands on the shoulders thing.

Anyways, that movie was utterly awesome. The hunchback scares me though.

fight like a mutant mob
It reminded me of Lord of the Rings and Gears of War...

And the "Immortals," those cracked me up :lol:

"Oh noes! you found my only weakness! DEATH!"

Doesn't the Immortals' "mascot" (I don't know what else to call it) just remind you of the Berserker? It was sweet the way they unleashed it, especially the part where an Immortal hacked apart its shackles.

The Immortals got their moniker not from their actual immortality - they could be killed just like any other man. The Immortals were 10,000-strong and always 10,000 strong - every incapacitated soldier was immediately replaced. The unit as a whole was indeed immortal.

Ya, true Persians did fight with honor and respect their defeated enemies. They would treat the defeated with great respect, but Xerxes was so angry because so many of his soldiers got pwned, and ya, what you said, cut off king leonidas's head and crucify him.

Lol, leonidas's body was returned to Sparta 40 years after the war though

EDIT*

didnt want to make a whole new thread, but check this out:

http://film.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,2033630,00.html

Geez, why can't people just enjoy the movie for what it is - a movie? Why is every goddamned thing a political statement now? Hell, I enjoyed Saving Private Ryan and the Call of Duty series even though I was watching my countrymen getting slaughtered or doing the slaughter myself (I am German by birth).

Doubt that. Couldn't fit all his troops in that pass. Noir did he probably think it would take that many of them.

Leonidas's corpse handling only further backs the point they didn't have to great of honor.

And showering them with arrows at the end of the battle. Over kill. Again no honor.

Xerxes didn't have to fit all his men in the pass. He could have just sent his men into the meatgrinder in an endless wave and wear down the Greeks through simple attrition. He attacked in waves instead.

Xerxes was extremely angry after he found out that a little over 1,000 Greeks killed over 20,000 of his soldiers, including many Immortals. Of course he wanted revenge. He did feel remorse afterwards, though.

At the end, the Greeks were herd onto a hill and yet they still refused to surrender. The Persians had no other choice but to kill them with rains of arrows. Their men were weary of battle and the Greeks would not surrender. The Thebans, who did surrender, were treated humanely.

did anybody else find the end where the 10k spartans are running and like how the camera zooms in really fast cool? and the end where its like 10k spartans and all those other greeks is a real battle too. i liked the camera effect with the zooming in real quick twice. if only they showed us the battle.

Homophobic much?

Troll much?

Anyway, just got back from seeing it. I'm very impressed by the special effects. It was all I could do, however, to keep myself from yelling out during the first wave of Persians, "Double kill! MULTI KILL! ULTRA KILL! DOMINATING!!!"

What really got me was when Dilios was putting on the bandage around his eye and Leonidas addressed him;

"You going to be okay with that, uh, scratch?"

"Yes, my king, it's just an eye. God granted me the gift of a spare."

Archived