So you paid $900 for a kit that not only started to break apart but that ended up looking like a $40 kit. I love airsoft AK collecting - we're all nuts!  :D

Your opinion mate. :) If you like shiny new looking rifles then you are of course welcome to do so, but less of the insulting the pride and joys of other individuals who prefer their rifles to look like the fielded article. You might make me cry or something! ^_^

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers. Nice to know some people appreciate all my heartache at least...

*Runs away to cry* ^_^

Need to get the flash hider from Trapper and some 74-type mags now. And then a modern style sling. And then an AK104... :unsure:

Edited by Marlowe

D= didnt know they actully made RPK stocks i've been looking for one everywhere

Tho with it being wood is it not very heavy and does it not put alot of strain on the lower reciver since thats why the likes of trapper industries dont sell them

Well, after AG05 I realised I needed to repair the wooden lower foregrip, which had been inexplicably chipped on the Friday night of the event. Whilst preparing to do so, I noticed that more of the layer of wood which had already been stripped was starting to splinter away, so I got out the superglue...

And disaster struck. The tube exploded - presumably from the heat of the day - all over the wooden foregrip pieces.

It wasn't pretty, and I knew I couldn't leave it like that. So I sanded down both and restained it...

...With a stain that turned out to not match the original.

On the plus side, Swifty and FW200 pointed out that this now looked more like a fielded RPK - which is what I had always wanted it to look like anyway. So out came the sand paper, and the same happened to the stock. And then the metal components looked too new, so I sanded those too to weather them...

And the result was the following:

DSCF0029.JPG

I think you need an upgrade. Don't kid yourself now the gun looks as bad as my hairy turkish *albatross* :P

hehe just kidding.

D= didnt know they actully made RPK stocks i've been looking for one everywhere

Tho with it being wood is it not very heavy and does it not put alot of strain on the lower reciver since thats why the likes of trapper industries dont sell them

Abit of wood isn't going to put much strain on a steel receiver.

He bought the whole thing as a coversion kit.

I was speaking to trapper last week at the War & peace show and they said that everyone that's bought their RPK stocks has had no problem with them, but Trapper don't garuntee that they will work 100%. However if you have a metal receiver, i don't see any problem.

Uhuh Drake, I purchased the RPK as a full steel conversion kit, completed versions of which are still on sale at UN Company. Unfortunately I don't think there are many RPK kits left at the moment - it took me a great deal of hunting to finally obtain mine from Boomarms, and that was the last one they apparrently had, which involved pulling some strings with their friends in Thailand...

Because the receiver is steel (look at the 'weathered' edges of the receiver at the bottom of the rifle in the photo), the weight of the stock / battery isn't an issue. If you decide to make a RPK yourself (entirely viable really - the stock isn't too complex to make, or so my father pointed out to me whilst carving some other furniture, to my chagrin), you would really want to replace the abs sections of the receiver anyway, so that shouldn't be an issue.

The one thing that has been an issue - as I had been warned - is my stubborn insistance on using a 395mm psg-1 innner barrel in the rifle (it just seemed so wrong having all that outer barrel and a tiny M16 etc length barrel instead). The resulting suction has reduced the velocity apparrently down to 300fps at present, which is a minor niggle, but not noticable in any skirmishes so far (it was still happily shredding ferns at AG05 in the gulleys games, and the poor chap who only left his masked face visible from beoyond the barricade will probably agree it is still accurate). As I'm still stubbornly refusing to carefully cut down the barrel, I need to really get a vented cylinder instead to minimise the effect. Tempted to try a m100 spring too, but that my compensate a little *too much* :(

• 2 weeks later...
Actually, Marlowe, the barrel should be closer to 500mm than 400mm...

Also, is the cylinder a type-0 (no holes?).

Sorry, just noticed you'd responded. The barrel's actually a 590mm PSG-1 inner barrel (rather than the 605mm - barrels that have to be hidden by the flash hider just look wrong to me). No idea why I wrote 395 previously. I can only assume it was a typo, as I've tinkered around with the internals so much I know what I've put in it off by heart.

The cylinder's stock at present. I'm awaiting delivery of a bore-up cylinder and a m100 to resolve the suction issue and put it towards 328ish. Because the m100 will probably make it border line when combined with that cylinder, I've also purchased a chrono - don't want to have to switch springs over in the middle of a forest! :)