solution_zero, what's your opinion on the G&P body and front set? I'm planning on buying those for my AK project (specifically the body and the G&P wood set that includes the front set) and I'd love an opinion. How's the whole thing feel? Pretty solid? Also, which parts did you paint flat black exatly, and what paint did you use? How's the paint holding up?

Fantastic job by the way, looks great. :)

Edited by staticzero
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The G&P metal reciever and front end set are great. Good weight, solid feel. My only minor gripe is the noticable line where the two halves of the front end are put together. Its not noticeable unless you stare. Lol. They also have a flat black coating that appears baked on, and very close to the finish of my Romanian AK. The added touch of raised "rivets" is also very nice. My verdict: I'd give them a 9.7/10. ;)

For the gas tube, outer barrel, and sight post I used Ultra-Flat Black Krylon "had it laying around." I light sanded it with 220 and then added 2 coats of Krylon. Its holding up suprisingly well. It all looks d*mn close to the same shade.

Edited by solution_zero
Woo, I thought he wasn't doing anymore custom work, that gun is sweet! He does some excellent custom work. If it makes it into ARMS, make sure to tell us, I'll go out and buy a copy!

Kinda late reply but my AK did infact make it into ARMS. It's the November issue with the SWAT girl on the cover.

Also, posting some pics of my other AK that's really old. Inferno modded all the pieces. I've retired it and no longer use it but it used to be my primary.

Shorty Configeration from an AK-47S (about 2 1/2 years ago)

akkurz003.jpg

Folding stock model that houses an 8.4v battery and can be used when folded. This is pre-Guarder sets and as usual, made from scratch.

akfold1.jpg

akfold2.jpg

Guarder AK74 kit with Easy Company GP25 launcher and recoil boot.

This is actually the 2005 AK74 kit - the wood is shinier, more realistic and the stock now has a bolt underneath which makes it extremely solid. The stock was the weak point in the previous AK74 and AKM kits, so I am told, but it shouldn't be an issue here. There is no movement at all.

The handguards have been changed to the early type with indents, and it now has a scope rail (AK74N). Was a reasonable (for Guarder) 690 USD from Boomarms, plus a steel Guarder bolt. Ooh, and it also has a plum pistol grip rather than the nasty old brown one.

Guarder_AK74_right.sized.jpg

Guarder_AK74_left.sized.jpg

I need to rearrange the wiring and fiddle with gearbox a bit, but it's looking good :)

• 2 weeks later...

All these AK are so awesome, can hardly wait until I get mine. I already paid for it, just waiting for my father to bring it from Taiwan to me.

I will post picture as soon as I get it. It is:

Guarder AKS74 with Romanian 1000m sight, G&G steel trigger guard, and Guarder steel bolt. However, I need a front sight post, and I may have to modify a Romanian one to fit.