Aimpoint or Acog

Apex

I have both the G&P TA31 and the ebaybanned Eotech (the one with trades and no ghosting). I let a guy borrow my ACOG the whole game while I tried out my new Eotech... boy did I miss my ACOG. Spotting targets with the ACOG is much easier at a distance and with good training you can get the crosshairs on an enemy pretty darn fast. of course if you are 1v1ing a guy around the bush and you notice each other at the same time, a reflex sight will be faster.

I love the eotech clone but the sight gets washed out in the bright sun I was playing in. For woodland the G&P TA31 is tops.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Replica aimpoints have anti-glare coatings that make them much better in the bright sun. Personally I always found it more difficult to aim with an ACOG since the black reticule gets lost in woodland very easily. If the ACOG actually had illumination built in it would be much easier to use.

moving a discussion over here from another thread http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...howtopic=147751

I think its now safe to say that ACOGs do NOT have illuminated reticules or red dots. A feature of ACOGs are that they "...feature a fiber optic light-gathering rail for daytime use and tritium-illuminated reticle for nighttime use"(from wiki) and a well known ACOG is the SUSAT sight used by the British Army.

Aimpoints are not ACOGs, because ACOGs are a category on their own. However, there still seems to be some confusion over whether aimpoints are reflex sights? I know some people use the terms reflex sights and red dot sights interchangably, but looking at the variety of sights out there im now more inclined to think Hurricanes/Eotechs/Doctors are reflex sights while Aimpoints are red dot sights.

as someone mentioned in the G36 optic thread, reflex sights are optics that project a crosshair onto a single screen, where as the red dot are an enclosed optic. I have also heard reflex type sights refered to as Holosights. NOt sure if that's something to do with the odd colorization of the screen.

thats wot im wondering. In BF2, the ACOGs on the M4 are slightly magnified (probably x4) and have a red dot

The M4 in BF2 (at least in vanilla form) has an Aimpoint, not a ACOG.

I think its now safe to say that ACOGs do NOT have illuminated reticules or red dots.

ACOGs do have illuminated reticules. To quote from the Trijicon website: http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/parts_n...fm?categoryID=3

"The ACOGs are internally-adjustable, compact telescopic sights with tritium illuminated reticle patterns for use in low light or at night. Bindon Aiming Concept (BAC)* models feature bright daytime reticles using fiber optics which collect ambient light. The ACOGs combine traditional, precise distance marksmanship with close-in aiming speed. Although the ACOGs have many features which are very advantageous for military use, they were developed by Trijicon without government funding.

Designed for use with the M16 family, every feature of its mechanical and optical design was chosen for a single purpose: to provide increased hit potential in all lighting conditions -- without failure-prone batteries."

I own a G&P ACOG and Aimpoint. I never had any qualms with the Aimpoint, but I spoiled myself on real close combat optics and the replica just isn't the same anymore. As for the ACOG, I now use it more often than my Aimpoint. However, I do admit that the eye relief leaves much to be desired.

As others have said, I like reflex sights for CQB. However, for outdoor, I prefer iron sights. It gives me a better field of view, and at Airsoft ranges I don't believe that magnifying optics give you an advantage.

Your mileage may vary.

ultimately i think in airsoft its a case of "Get it if u want to"

erik: i posted this question in another thread. seeing as u use reflex sights, i wanna ask u as well, if u've ever had the glass shot out in one, and if yes, what did u do with it?

erik: i posted this question in another thread. seeing as u use reflex sights, i wanna ask u as well, if u've ever had the glass shot out in one, and if yes, what did u do with it?

Never had my glass shot out of the EOTech. Ironic because it's the one scope I don't have a protector on.

The glass in the real thing is pretty thick, but at close range I could see it getting cracked. EOTech will sell you replacement lenses, but they aren't free. I figure if I can afford the scope, I can afford the lenses if need be.

I recently moved this scope onto a real-steel gun, and am running iron sights again for both CQB and outdoor (the exception being the Aimpoint on my P90). I gotta say I don't really miss the holosite.

I would really like to try out something like the Trijicon Reflex II, but it's cost prohibitive. If I buy one of those it will more likely go on my real-steel AR15.

I have had the glass shot out of a few sights & a couple of torches. The sights were a loss & they went in the bin. The torches, I got replacement lenses from the manufacturer.

Now I put sacrificial lenses on all of my optics & lights.

There are a couple of inexpensive methods I use.

1. Buy a pair of (ANSI Z87.1 rated) safety/shooting glasses. Cut the lenses off and attach the lens over the optic/light that you want to protect.

2. Buy a face shield (normally used to protect face while using grinders etc.) from local hardware store and cut plastic to desired shape/size and attach to the optic/light that you want to protect.

This is particularly good if you have several lenses to make.

There are 2 methods I use to attach the sacrificial/protective lenses. Either tape on with electricians tape or use a silicone sealant like RTV (used for automotive gaskets) or clear plumbing caulk. The silicone sealant is easily removed if need be and doesn't get sticky like electricians tape does.

Sometimes I also just insert the sacrificial/protective lens under a flip up lens cap, like those typically found on Aimpoint sights.

^As for the killflash on a aimpoint replica:

I tried it at the gun show. The honeycomb obstructs a clear view to the target on non- magnifying red dots. It bothered me, but its up to you if you want that or just a cheap piece of clear plexiglass.

In other news, I am trying to help a friend sell a genuine Trijicon ACOG. Fiber optic illuminated, about 2.5 inch eye relief, and it is a DREAM. Honestly speaking, miles ahead of any knock off ACOG I have ever used. Comes with a coyote tan molle pouch, military style owners manual, genuine Scopecoat *TM*, lense cleaning tool, a killflash, and of course the scope. The fiber optic automatically adjust to the ambient light, and the kill flash is very effective and invisible when looking down the scope. I have photos of it attached to a CA M249, and if I only had the money... I would buy it from them, but school and other more important expenses come first :(

So, in a few days, I will take more high quality pics *first batch of pics from a old camera didn't do it justice*, and post a mini review as well as a classified for it, as well as a bunch of low priced Classic Army replicas for a good price, since they are getting out of the airsoft business. Will write them up them ads soon.

My point is, you get what you pay for. Sometimes, it is worth getting the genuine stuff due to its durability, quality, and warranty, not to mention collector's value and drool factor ;)

Archived