Aimpoint or Acog

Apex

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you guys even own ACOGs?

I've shot airsoft guns with both real and replica ACOGs. They're not that useful. The eye relief sucks on both real and replica -- your eye can't be more than two inches away from the scope. The replica ACOGs also don't have illuminated reticules that adjust to various lighting conditions, and 4x magnification is way too much for a gun that barely reaches out to 200 feet. Get a red dot instead and you'll find yourself aiming much more quickly at targets. I sold my ACOG recently and I don't miss it at all.

Don't even get me started on the Docter replicas. There isn't a decent one out there at all right now. The one I bought for $40 was absolute trash.

A magnifying ACOG is best if you absolutely want to go milsim or if your gun is ridiculously high-powered. Otherwise red dots are the best optic type for airsofting.

The G&P AimPoint replica is good, be sure to have several extra batteries. Not that they don't last long enough but still...

Of course, if you want The Best then the real stuff is definately the way to go.

I also want an ACOG because of the looks but the 4x magnification is a bit much, in my opinion. I noticed that I kind of need some magnification but I'm probably just going to buy one of those EoTech 3x Magnifier replicas to try out.

The ACOG looks cool but as mentioned above, target acquisition is slow at best. However it is usefully as you can see where your BBs are landing and adjust fire accordingly on a static position. Red dots are fast and pretty ideal for the ranges airsoft engagement occurs in. If could always compromise by getting an ACOG styled red dot scope to achieve the fashionable and functionality aspect at the same time.

My reply was simply based on real weapons use...in which I find the ACOG to be vastly superior for everything EXCEPT indoors, in which case an Eotech, or even steel-sights are significantly more user friendly. So, yes I have reasonable amounts of experience. I can see a red-dot being far more appropriate for airsoft. ^_^

But can i has make my mind up...

Might buy both but am trying to decide between a decent Acog for the M4/R85 or just go with a aimpoint rd for both..... any pros / cons of this....

ACOG will look good on to your new R85 ;) and British Army trialling ACOGs. Get magnificaction one for observation proposes.

You could easily get a mag' ACOG for a measly 50quid :P Not sure what that american was on about.. $500-$1000 bucks, meh thats about £250-£500 for a ACOG.

Try a susat for your R85 but you will need to file your rail down abit for it to fit, as the R85 is a clone of the G&G L85 and not the STAR, inwhich the susat is for "STAR Susat" :)

You could easily get a replica mag' ACOG for a measly 50quid :P Not sure what that american was on about.. $500-$1000 bucks, meh thats about £250-£500 for a real ACOG.

Try a replica susat for your R85 but you will need to file your rail down abit for it to fit, as the R85 is a clone of the G&G L85 and not the STAR, inwhich the susat is for "STAR Susat" :)

Short dot is the way to go... Barska makes a cheap knock off, 1.5-4.5x, Illuminated reticle, 3 inch eye releif... costs less then a replica ACOG

If you're gunning outdoor, I recommend a replica ACOG-try ebaybanned, RSOV or Gunners in HK. If it's CQB stuff, I highly recommend a replica EOTech-better sight picture view than a replica Aimpoint.

Here's a pic of the type of scope he was talking about, FYI-it might make your rifle heavier:

r1.jpg

Replica EOTech:

sbr1-1.jpg

yummy

It's a a bit like mine but i am missing the rear sling hook, the scope, contoured grip and the flip up sites :)

If i had the cash the EOTech would win hands down but am not that rich.

I'll try and pick a RD ACOG rep up, seems it's the best of both breeds, it has the looks that am looking for and the RD for fast target acquisition.

I had the G&P ACOG and I found it more as a showpiece more than anything else. With the ranges you get in airsoft, it's not that useful. If you mount it a sniper rifle (I know, it may look stupid) then it'll have some value.

I'd just go with a red dot, it's all you'll ever need. As it's cheaper. Hell, just stick with the iron sights.

afallan

i currently use a G&P red dot i got in exchange for a 7 quid rubber knife. havent used an ACOG yet, but I think for most CQB situations, its more than perfect, as it actually allows me to be slightly off center with my aiming eye and still be able to aim and aquire targets around corners, meaning i present much less of a target.

Archived