World war Z: what would you do?

WhutJP

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To clarify, seeing as most but not all here have read the zombie survival handbook (buy it if you haven't already).

1. Zombies are as physically strong as they were in life, if not weaker. This means that they cannot individually rip through steel and crush heads between their rotting biceps (unless the govenator is infected, in which case everyones *fruitcage*ed so whats the point in preparing for it?). the down side is they do not feel pain, so they do not tire. They will hammer on a door for weeks, even metal doors will break eventually.

2. Zombies are not smart. They cannot climb fences or ladders, so any elevated position would provide temporary security. Just make sure you have an escape route or enough supplies to last...

3. 5-10 years, is how long the book states a zombie can survive before decomposing. They are untouched by bacteria, but this still seems a bit long to The Badger. Zombies in an environment full of barricaded prey would be lucky to stay intact for a year. (try walking around a store with your eyes closed, now imagine you don't heal wounds and you get the idea)

4. Zombies cannot swim, this means that boats that don't drop anchors are virtually impenetrable. The bad part is that zombies can walk under water. This means that anyone holding a island will need to be very careful and maintain a watch on all beaches.

5. Only head shots can stop zombies, decapitation does not kill the brain and jaws, so be prepared to mop up afterwards.

6. remember that people are short sighted and stupid (look at this forum for example ;)) Your survival is paramount, so be wary of others.

The Badger has to say, hes not sure how many normal people would think about this kinda stuff. To airsofters the first thought when the word zombie is spoken is where to get weapons and a fortress. Would normal people think that way? Most would eventually go for a gun store or hunting store. Not many would have the forethought to immediately garrison a strong building or island. The most dangerous threat would be the idiots who think of your idea a day too late and lead an army of Zs straight to your front door. In panic these Neanderthals could be dangerous, doing damage to your fort that zombies couldn't.

I agree with The Badger. Other survivors are just as dangerous, if not more so, as the zombies themselves.

Therefore, I'm not going to be particularly discriminating in who or what I eliminate. My survival is paramount and nothing is going to get in my way.

I'm going to get a hold of a giant cobalt bomb, paint ΑΩ on it, and barricade myself and other available survivors underground. I'll then create a religion based on the bomb. When the zombies finally discover us or are able to break through (possibly less than an hour after founding the underground stronghold) I will shout an insult at them (to be thought of at the time, something spontaneous) and detonate the bomb, killing all life, both technically alive and technically undead, and render this one of countless billions of insignificant planets in the universe dead. Or, possibly, undead.

Edit: Excellent. Gliderrider, you can be part of my plan.

id take a diplomatic approach. rather than being a hard catch for the zombies, i would negotiate with them. id tell them, why waste time chasing after all these british people when they can take the eurostar to france. they will gladly give up.

edit: also forgot to mention that, britain is an island and once were all gone, thats the end of it. europe would have a larger supply of people.

I much prefer this version:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_J9gHqfNEUg

And, thewallhitme: apparentelly, zombies are able to walk underwater. I dont believe it, but it sure makes this game a lot more chilling.

Has anyone considered training vultures? Better than attack dogs, as they love rotting meat.

Than there's the thing of them turning on you as soon as they've turned into zombies too....

I much prefer this version:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_J9gHqfNEUg

Bleh.

I looked on youtube for all of 2 seconds gimmie a break. :(

Either way. If he becomes zombified he'll kill us all.

And frankly I agree with Azubi. As much as we like to think "We Am Legend" (Clever no?) theres like a 99% chance our (zombified) neighbour would just knock on the door and swipe our head off.

see, thats the thing that ###### me off about zombie movies; its like no one has the slightest idea what zombies are or what to do with them. their neighbor knocks on the door with an arm missing, half their neck gone, and all sorts of blood on/in their mouth and the first thing they do is try and help them. umm... no? first thing i would do is scream like a little girl, slam the door closed and start thinking about an escape plan

And frankly I agree with Azubi. As much as we like to think "We Am Legend" (Clever no?) theres like a 99% chance our (zombified) neighbour would just knock on the door and swipe our head off.

The mass panic as millions try to reach thier loved ones would be the biggest problem. The roads would be clogged with traffic going nowhere and people will be running in a frenzied fashion everywhere. It would be hard to stop the spread in such an environment and seen as I would most probably be at work 31 miles from my house, I don't fancy my chances getting home to anything pre-prepared for survival. I'd like to think I could give it a good go, take a few out before finally overrun but that's about it. Weight of numbers would drag you down as there is only so much you can do with a short range improvised melee weapon. :Zzz:

After further examination, I would:

A. Lock myself in a Bass Pro Shops, they have enough guns, knives, dehydrated food, explosives, and modes of entertaiment (indoor fishing pond FTW!) to last countless years. Plus, they have big *albatross* gates on the outside of the doors, so I should be relativly safe.

B. Live out my life in a survivalist colony. They seem to be fortified enough to withstand an attack by the entire nation of China, so I think a few Zombies won't hurt.

I will have to pick up these books. This subject interests me much since i have been reading survival and shtf recently(hurricane season).

My best idea is a hard wearing gun, preferably a good bolt action like a mosin nagant carbine that wont break even after loooong term use. I think even with "inferior" weaponry a group of max 10 people will be capable of self sustainment in the wild. Fancy stuff like nods and super modern guns arent going to last. Best plan long term is to shack up with the military(if possible) or to position yourself in such a place that you can make runs to ex civilization for food/equipment.

In particular to my area i am all in favor of shacking up on a island and making viking style runs to civilization.

The Badger has given this some thought and is now wondering, what happens after the outbreak?

Your local area is overrun, retaking it a very distant goal. Where do you run too?

Islands or areas that are virtually inaccessible would be the best options. He was thinking of places like the Galapagos, the Falklands, the Aleutian Islands, or Saint Helena. Out of the way islands would be best, preferably with rocky shores or cliffs as opposed to the beaches of the eastern seaboard and west pacific. They need to be big enough to support not only you/you team, but the native inhabitants as well. (if one was to start killing off people for land we may as well give in to the zombies, as we are no better than they. This goes toward some who have a gung ho attitude toward other survivors. Humanity would need to start learning to work together to survive. The Tehcno-isolationism of the modern world simply wouldn't work. )

The Badger has given this some thought and is now wondering, what happens after the outbreak?

Your local area is overrun, retaking it a very distant goal. Where do you run too?

Islands or areas that are virtually inaccessible would be the best options. He was thinking of places like the Galapagos, the Falklands, the Aleutian Islands, or Saint Helena. Out of the way islands would be best, preferably with rocky shores or cliffs as opposed to the beaches of the eastern seaboard and west pacific. They need to be big enough to support not only you/you team, but the native inhabitants as well. (if one was to start killing off people for land we may as well give in to the zombies, as we are no better than they. This goes toward some who have a gung ho attitude toward other survivors. Humanity would need to start learning to work together to survive. The Tehcno-isolationism of the modern world simply wouldn't work. )

:waggle:

What makes you think the natives on these islands would want you there taking up thier space and using thier resources? In a world gone mad, these isolated communitees would be even less trusting of outsiders.

First off, stupid question. You'd be bringing a venerable arsenal with you as well as a bus full of super models (world needs repopulating).

Secondly, yeah they probably wouldn't really want you there, thats why most of the islands mentioned are large enough that you can survive without interfering with others, and remote enough that the native population would be small.

Archived