17 year old German goes on rampage

Blade3000

Erase them and all mention of them from all sources, everywhere, as occurred to Legions that had gone beyond the pale in disgracing their Caesar?

I like that idea.

And Punky, I'm not callous. I'm cynical. These egomaniacs have my full sympathy... until they pull the trigger on another human being because they're unhappy with their own lives.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

aye screw his name "a 17 year old german killed 15 people today, the victims names were: " would be best option IMO

too many books and articles written about these asshats While it might not be a major motivating factor in all of them its certainly going to be part of the attraction for some of them (versus just checking out 'insignificantly' on their own)

I'm not sure it's as easy as you make out PunkyPink. What combination of factors lead to feeling alienated enough to go on a rampage like that, what are the other enabling factors and why shooting sprees? There must be many PHDs worth of research there on a pretty small sample set. Even then I'm not sure there are any really easy answers to solve the issue.

Also and this will sound callous but the public perception of these events seems terribly media driven. Many more people have died of mundane and preventable things during this last weeks spate of shootings than have died in these 'exciting' and 'interesting' incidents.

Jagd is right to a point though, it is a decision at the end of the day to go pick up a gun and start shooting people. Society may be to blame for some of a persons issues but not everyone in that situation picks up a gun and goes killing. Absolving the shooter of responsibility is just as silly in trying to unravel why people commit these shootings as saying you don't care why they did it.

I am not absolving them of their responsibility. I just want the rest of us to stop dodging our responsibility.

Then again, humans can be a particularly cruel lot. It was only 50 years ago when black people were treated poorly, how long ago was it when women were oppressed and how recent was it that people begin to fight homophobia? the history of humankind is a shameful one in a sense, and sometimes while we're busy showing regret at the obvious victims we forget the less obvious victims. What then are the chances that one of the unobvious victims takes that step from victim to monster. Sure, he's wrong, no dispute there, but then how right is it that the rest of us absolve our responsibility in creating such a monster? Theres a travesty of justice in here somewhere.

It got me thinking today.

Tell you what, maybe it'd be better if he wasn't an airsofter? He had only a pistol and 50 bullets and managed to kill 15 people, not mentioning heavily wounding two cops. That takes some training - training a kid like that can get only by airsofting. I don't recall any previous school shooters having serious shooting training since Charles Whitman case.

From the news reports I've heard, he had in excess of 230 bullets, and he fired about 100 of them.

When I first heard of it in the news, they were giving this figure too, but then I read in local Newsweek Online that he only stole one pistol and fifty bullets from his father. Where does 230 fit now? I doubt he had any other source for ammo and 50 bullets is more or less one box - just as much as you'd grab quickly.

When I first heard of it in the news, they were giving this figure too, but then I read in local Newsweek Online that he only stole one pistol and fifty bullets from his father. Where does 230 fit now? I doubt he had any other source for ammo and 50 bullets is more or less one box - just as much as you'd grab quickly.

tbh, i have no idea. He might not have been in a rush when he stole the pistol. Although I have to say if he did have at least 50 bullets, did he have the magazines to go along as well? I can't imagine having to reload the same mag after every 15 shots.

Yay blame the media, games etc. Nobody ever stops to think about how our society deliberately discriminates, alientates and isolates anyone we do not socially consider "conventional" or "normal", and then act all surprised that *suitcase* like that happens.

I mean, I don't agree that what he did was right, but really, most of us live in a nice little bubble without ever considering that our prejudice, ignorance and unacceptance of anyone who isn't conventional by an archaic social sense do hurt people, and that hurt does play a part, however minute, in creating such "monsters", and that ultimately we're all collectively responsible for stuff like that when it does happen. If we were more understanding and more accepting of people who aren't "normal" in the conventional sense, maybe *suitcase* like that would happen a lot less.

Well put.

While I don't condone school shootings and I can understand the desire to mourn the victims and condemn the shooter, it's a shame that in these situations so little focus goes to just how badly people treat each other or how *suitcasey* a job many parents and teachers do of disciplining and instilling the values of respect and community to the children. Who cares about that, he's just a *fruitcage*ed up loner. It's okay to continue being *rickrolls* to each other. :rolleyes:

M9 is a double action pistol right? I believe in Swedish terms it can sometimes be wrongly translated to "Automatic Weapon"

And a single action pistol can be translated to Semi-Automatic, such a bumm that Sweden don't have any words for it.

If he hand a "Automatic Rifle" or as we call it "AK" " Automatic Carbine" is some whole different terms I believe.

M9 is a double action pistol right? I believe in Swedish terms it can sometimes be wrongly translated to "Automatic Weapon"

And a single action pistol can be translated to Semi-Automatic, such a bumm that Sweden don't have any words for it.

The M9 is double and single.

Archived