The Mechwarrior thread

WhutJP

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, it's still a beta, so there's bound to be problems. No matter what I did in the mechlab the changes wouldn't stay.

For me, I was able to over-write one of the canon variants... one of the 'Prime' variants. :mellow:

Plus it needs joystick support. Sure looks good though, doesn't it?

It looks like MW2 on steroids. So... it looks good, but it looks dated. If that makes sense.

Masakari, they're robotic. Close enough. It's all part of the giant robot genre.

Forgive me, but I believe the technical term is 'mecha'.

:unsure:

Is your butt sore with that huge stick wedged up it? :rolleyes:

Get over it. Move on.

I suppose insulting people is one way to use your modly powers.

I suppose insulting people is one way to use your modly powers.

Yes, it's right up there with renaming threads so people can carry on using them even when they go off-topic.

Funny how one thing gets a lot more commentary than the other innit?

Seriously, after a while it gets so f**king tiresome listening to thankless pricks that I can see why some of the original mod's used to arbitrarily close and delete stuff with no explanations given.

So....

Getting back to the upcoming new mechwarrior game, anyone got a clue on the release date yet? (Apologies if it's already mentioned somewhere in here, but I don't feel like wading through 7 pages of geeky fanboys (and girls) arguing over terminology looking for some information...)

I really like that trailer, I've watched it a dozen times, can't wait for the game to come out...

There is no release date, yet. They have the engine done, most of the gameplay mechanics done, and the story is pretty well written up (which means that they at least have a general idea of what the missions and mission mechanics will be)... the trouble is that they really can't/won't do much more without a publisher... which is something they don't have, yet. (The publisher, obviously, will publish the game, but they will also then have a budget for voice/actors, cut scenes, &c.) That being said, given that it's a hot property and it's basically done, I would imagine that we probably won't have to wait long for a publisher to snatch it up. I would imagine that release date would be sometime next year. Probably Summer/Fall, maybe as late as November. Otherwise, I would say Spring the year after.

There is no release date, yet. They have the engine done, most of the gameplay mechanics done, and the story is pretty well written up (which means that they at least have a general idea of what the missions and mission mechanics will be)... the trouble is that they really can't/won't do much more without a publisher... which is something they don't have, yet. (The publisher, obviously, will publish the game, but they will also then have a budget for voice/actors, cut scenes, &c.) That being said, given that it's a hot property and it's basically done, I would imagine that we probably won't have to wait long for a publisher to snatch it up. I would imagine that release date would be sometime next year. Probably Summer/Fall, maybe as late as November. Otherwise, I would say Spring the year after.

Expect it in 18months-2 years if at all.

Because Publishers see games as a mere profit making machine. Such example is this , sure I'm using Wikipedia as a source but the original interview basically said they were pretty much 'done' with the game but due to the platform it was programmed on Publishers didn't release it due to fears of not earning enough cash. Most days it's not about how a particular franchise is, or how good and well made a game is. It's all about milking cash cows and flogging dead donkies.

[edit] Not saying that it's NOT going to be published however it all depends on the Publishers, but because there it's more of a niche it will have less of a scope then a more popular shooter/mecha game. Not just that but the original MW5 got canned so although that was some time ago etc , 'the fear' of that still remains.

It's on the PC - plenty of successful Mechwarrior titles previously; obviously the best platform for this type of game, given the control interface options available and whatnot; and a solid fanbase.

I can't see how there would be a problem. Let's hope there won't be.

It's on the PC - plenty of successful Mechwarrior titles previously; obviously the best platform for this type of game, given the control interface options available and whatnot; and a solid fanbase.

I can't see how there would be a problem. Let's hope there won't be.

Not only is it going to PC (which the title has had no small success in, but is becoming the realm, somewhat, of a niche breed of gamer) but it's also going to Xbox360 (which is about as mainstream as you can get).

Maybe Microsoft will publish it. :P

EDIT: In related news, the Postman left me a package containing MetalGear Pro. Yay! I promptly came up with this:

BattleMech Technical Readout

Type/Model: Savage Wolf "Olde Ravyn"

Tech: Clan / 3132

Config: Biped OmniMech

Rules: Level 3, Custom design

Mass: 75 tons

Chassis: Marauder Lite Mk. XIII Endo Steel

Power Plant: 375 Clan Type XL Fusion

Walking Speed: 54.0 km/h

Maximum Speed: 86.4 km/h

Jump Jets: None

Jump Capacity: 0 meters

Armor Type: Chobham Mk. MMCXL Ferro-Fibrous

Armament:

2 Gebr. Merkel GmbH Model 0522 Ultra AC/5s

2 Clan Mk. XVII ER PPCs

1 SureFire Advanced Optical Systems X7000A Heavy Small Laser

Manufacturer: Jagdraben Vaapenfabrik

Communications System: UpLiNK MBITR-05

Targeting & Tracking System: Tesla Inc. TTS Mod 85, Fifth Generation

Enhanced Imaging Display

Total Cost: 24,962,656 C-Bills

You know as much as I'd hate say it I think MS could be alright, personally I'd would of love to see Micropose to do it but they've been long since dead. Maybe Activision could do it?

I don't think MS would do it. Them selling the franchise pretty much means they're not interested anymore. Activision maybe.

Too bad they need a publisher at all.

"Think of it this way, Kid. You get to keep all the money."

I don't think MS would do it. Them selling the franchise pretty much means they're not interested anymore. Activision maybe.

Too bad they need a publisher at all.

"Think of it this way, Kid. You get to keep all the money."

Yeah I just also realised that Square Enix might be interested in this...

• 4 weeks later...
no. the battlemech is piloted by a human, therefore it is not a robot, period. there is no "close enough"

can i say that a horse is "close enough" to a car?

-Joe

"It is the 31st century, and mankind is once again at war. The battlefields of the future are dominated by huge robotic war machines known as Battlemechs. Piloting these awesome weapons of war, are men and women - the elite of the elite. Knowing that each battle could be their last... They are: Mechwarriors"

Sad that I can recite that whole thing, or is this party just a big F*** YOU to MW3?

"It is the 31st century, and mankind is once again at war. The battlefields of the future are dominated by huge robotic war machines known as Battlemechs. Piloting these awesome weapons of war, are men and women - the elite of the elite. Knowing that each battle could be their last... They are: Mechwarriors"

Sad that I can recite that whole thing, or is this party just a big F*** YOU to MW3?

*Gives M0ldy 3 internets*

Archived