The Mechwarrior thread

WhutJP

I've got quite a few BattleTech novels. And some of the Source Books (mostly Clan-related, but also Periphery and Draconis Combine).

I still have every BattleTech mini I ever bought and many of the MechWarrior minis I bought. In fact, I did this to one of the LE Mad Cat IVs:

kikyot02.jpg

kikyothatsnotree.jpg

I must confess to having spent too much time painting Flames of War minis prior to doing that. (And now feel the sudden urge to procure a Rasalhague Dominion Mad Cat IV.)

Anyway, I also have a JoyRide Studios model of a Timber Wolf sitting on my dresser along with the blueprint for the same 'Mech above it.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allegedly, the Savage Wolf is supposed to take advantage of slightly more common modular parts than the original Timber Wolf. Personally, I like the Savage a bit more strictly because it looks more like the original descriptions of the "Mad Cat".

It's been so long since I've used a Heavy, I don't recall what my last Timber/Savage load-out was. I think it was a pair of Gauss Rifles, LRM-10s, and a quartet of Medium Pulse Lasers. I could be wrong.

am i the only one here with a mechwarrior T-shirt? how about a complex book collection?

Yeah I've actually got several t-shirts :D Like Punky mentioned I had pictured my collection a few pages back - yet seeing how I never miss an opportunity to show it off, here it is again :P

dsc01984y.jpg

dsc01989a.jpg

In case you're wondering what's in the tackle box (and since you brought up MWDA)...

dsc02024zpl.jpg

dsc02018b.jpg

As you can see by all the medals, I've been to quite a few games. Even won one of these:

dsc02030.jpg

A lot of Mechwarrior fans have played Dark Age, but how many have played (much less even heard of) the CCG?

dsc02011z.jpg

Still nothing compares to Classic Battletech, here's my favorite piece - A custom AC-20 Dire Wolf I made when first getting into the miniatures..

dsc02007.jpg

I've got a lot more stuff as you might imagine, all of which accumulated over my lifetime of enjoying the world of Battletech and if this new game is any indication my collection will only grow!

:mellow:

I just tried running MechWarrior2's auto-start and my computer decided that the disc drive the thing is in no longer exists. Also: Windows doesn't support it (for Win95). Still. <_<

Dosbox isn't needed if you're running XP, there's patches you can apply to play it. Not official, but they work. If you're running Vista, I think you're outta luck.

http://warp13.co.uk/mech2 For the original versions.

:mellow:

I just tried running MechWarrior2's auto-start and my computer decided that the disc drive the thing is in no longer exists. Also: Windows doesn't support it (for Win95). Still. <_<

Did you try right-clicking on the shortcut and the setting the properties to W95 compatible?

Also, would it be better if the thread title was changed since this thread has become more of a general Mechwarrior discussion thread rather than specifically about the new game?

it was really a shame how MWDA kinda went downhill over time. i really enjoyed it around the middle period (FFE, DFA, etc)

-Joe

That's actually about when I stopped playing... I enjoyed MWDA because it was a fast paced game with simple yet satisfying rules. Once you start complicating the gameplay with artillery and air support it becomes a lot more involved and especially with the introduction of custom equipment/character cards it just got way too complex for a sit down game let alone a large scale battle. If I want detailed and intricate rules I'll play CBT, that and I really couldn't afford to buy several boosters of the latest expansion every week just to remain competitive. MWDA was a lot of fun.. gawd I wish I could find people to play it like we used to.. I just think Wizkids took it in the wrong direction which eventually led to it's downfall.

I just think Wizkids took it in the wrong direction which eventually led to it's downfall.

Like Wizards did with D&D 4th edition. Ect. Ect. I must admit I'd love to collect some CBT but I'd find it would be another drain on my (none existent) finances. |:

Did you try right-clicking on the shortcut and the setting the properties to W95 compatible?

Also, would it be better if the thread title was changed since this thread has become more of a general Mechwarrior discussion thread rather than specifically about the new game?

Good idea. Thanks SB. :)

FWIW, I'm currently playing MechCommander 2.

I've never had anything to do with the MW dice games (or any dice games for that matter) but I've always been disappointed by the MW PC games.

Knowing that there IS a big universe behind the games, I guess it sounds a bit hollow but I always thought the MW PC Games failed to scratch the surface of what should be an interesting environment.

The games were always a case of stomping to a waypoint, spotting enemy mechs ASAP, using a suitable weapon to overcome their weakness (or dying and then equipping a suitable weapon next time around) and then repeating until the mission was complete.

I think you really NEED RTS-style control over the mech's to actually get the best out of the game.

A MW game where on-line teams might consist of 3 MWs and a mechCommander who sees an RTS-style view of the battlefield would be amazing.

In other news, I always thought the original MechCommander

was one of the best things I'd ever seen on a PC.

I used to drag people to my laptop and show em the intro while squealing "Look at that! That's just a PC game! Look at it!!!"

:blush:

I got a MechCommander demo back in '98 when I was a wee impressionable lad. Su,ffice to say it blew my mind. Also talking about MechCommander 1 & 2 is it okay if I post links to get them?

I ask because Microprose have gone long time ago in a bid to keep Atari alive(long story), and Microsoft has made MechCommander 2 open sauce.

[edit] Well screw MC2everyone seems to be playing it. I nearly finished it until my PC died. ):

Mech commander 2 is awesome. I would love a new mech commander game.

Also, i'm looking forward to mech warrior 4 being released for free, i never played it. Will be a nice taster to get me ready for this new one.

Mech commander 2 is awesome. I would love a new mech commander game.

Also, i'm looking forward to mech warrior 4 being released for free, i never played it. Will be a nice taster to get me ready for this new one.

Considering the amount of Clan weapons and 'Mechs in MW4, and how easy 'Mechs seem to take damage in MW5, MW2: Mercenaries might be better to get you ready.

I think the only thing that really bugged me about being forced to use IS tech was LRMs. My god IS LRMs are heavy compared to Clan. I can deal with the 3 ton difference between Gauss Rifles, and the one ton between ERPPCs and also Large Lasers, but IS LRM's being *double* the weight of the clan ones? Screw that.

i didnt like them. honestly, i didnt like any of the rules after they released pilots and gear (AOD). way too clunky, and almost all other units were near useless... when you have a pilot/mech combo with 12 or 13 attack, its no wonder.

the best rules were for the days of FFE and DFA, in my opinion.

i miss playing... still got all of my stuff, and armies... i should start an Arizona MW club :P

-Joe

Archived